PDA

View Full Version : New Series-art Movements And Groups

trafford
07-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi, everyone...Starting in August...a new monthly project series:

ART MOVEMENTS AND GROUPS

Each month we will pick a group and look it over...highlighting some of the artists and either copying an art piece or doing our own, in any medium we wish, that's in the spirit of the movement.

Here is a list from www.artcyclopedia.com with links.

Some are very well known, others just a blip in the art world (They seem like the fun ones)

ART MOVEMENTS

Abstract Expressionism
Academic Art
The American Scene
Art Deco
Art Nouveau
Arte Povera
The Arts & Crafts Movement
The Ashcan School
The Barbizon School
Baroque Art
Bauhaus
Byzantine Art
Camden Town Group
Classicism
Contemporary Realism
Cubism
Dada
Der Blaue Reiter
Die Brücke
Die Neue Sachlichkeit
Expressionism
Fauvism
Futurism
Golden Age of Illustration
Gothic Art
The Group Of Seven
The Harlem Renaissance
The Hudson River School
Impressionism
Magic Realism

Mannerism
Minimalism
Les Nabis
Neoclassicism
Neo-Plasticism
Op Art
Orientalism
Photorealism
Pointillism
Pop Art
Post-Impressionism
Precisionism
The Pre-Raphaelites
Realism
Regionalism

The Renaissance
Early Renaissance
High Renaissance
Mannerism
Northern Renaissance

The Rococo Style
Romanticism
The Sensation Show
Social Realism
Surrealism
Symbolism
Tonalism
Ukiyo-e Printmaking

As we go along, if anyone would like to host one of the above, or a group that isn't listed, please let me know in this thread.

I'm kicking off in August with THE ASHCAN SCHOOL AND THE EIGHT simply because I love this etching by John Sloan of McSorley's saloon.

I think this will be a fun and learning project. See you next month..Janet :cool:

artbyjune
07-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Janet, this looks good. I had no idea there were so many 'art movements'...we will certainly be busy.

I am looking forward to this chance to learn more about art history....and try my hand at ...fauvism, symbolism, etc etc. Sounds fun.:thumbsup:

gakinme
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Me too. I'm looking forward to this since I never had any formal art education either. I'll be back in Washington again for 2 weeks starting towmorrow and won't be hauling too much of my art materials but I should be back by August ready for this. I'll get some cheap gouache and cheap oil to see what they feel like.

trafford
07-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Some of these groups had only two or three artists in them. Is this a movement? I guess we will find out.

If you link onto www.artcyclopedia.com there are links to all the listed art movements amd some of the artists.

Sondra, I just bought a tube of white gouche last week at Blicks...boy was it expensive....I need an old person's grant for art supplies. :heart:

ddpatterson
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Sondra, I just bought a tube of white gouche last week at Blicks...boy was it expensive....I need an old person's grant for art supplies. :heart:

Boy, howdy! Me, too. Note to be nicer to HeWhoHoldsThePurseStrings. The more I get into it, the more expensive-r this art stuff gets. I make my own palettes out of plastic disposable trays and stuff, I use 12-inch left-over ceramic tiles (we have a rather large collection of these) for oil palettes; download coupons for canvas, paper, paints from anywhere I can get them. Then I remember how much I used to spend on quilting and feel much, much better about it all.

That and a nice glass of chilled Pinot Grigio and I settle down right nicely.

azulparsnip
07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
WOWSER!!! I had no idea there were so many art movement. This will be so rewarding.

trafford
07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
There do seem to be a lot. I like the real obscure ones...the artists are also obscure, at least to me.

dd, if you have paper, pencil and crayolas you can always make a picture. Please stop by again and maybe join us in one of our projects. The wine sounds like a good idea. :heart:

artbyjune
07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
What about orphism? Delauney.

trafford
07-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Robert Delaunay is listed in artcyclopedia as a cubist, but in fact he was an orphic cubist, as was his wife. First time I have ever heard that term. Yipes! What else will turn up? Seems like there were people through the ages walking around coining names for any gathering of artists sitting together in a cafe. :lol: Orphism, something about the brightness of color? :confused:

gakinme
07-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Janet, I bought some Winsor & Newton Water Mixable Oil Color yesterday for 6 tubes for $23 or so and less 40% on discount ($15 at the end) and I got a set of 12 tubes of Art Advantage Gouache at $5.99 from Fred Meyer at 20% off. See my first samples here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8014797#post8014797) of the above two media. It's made in China but it's gouache of some sort. The colors go right on top of each other just like it should when not diluted, just like acrylic. I have not found any gouache cheaper than this.

If you google Marie's Opaque watercolor, it will be available at around $20 for a set of 12 I think, assuming opaque watercolor is the same as gouache.

I couldn't afford the artist quality yet for gouache.

ddp, yeah, don't let all the expensive material stop you from drawing. I draw mostly with pencil and charcoal and pen and they are very versatile tools! See my stuff at Honore Daumier's thread. We don't really need more than that.

trafford
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi, Sandra....Went into all media sketching, and I must say you do a lot of work, and in all kinds of media. Love the heron's expressions.

You mentioned Howard Pyle. I have had two of his books since I was a child. "The Wonder Clock" and "Salt and Pepper". I think we are going to do him in children's illustrators later on.

Your prices for art supplies are really good. When I bought the gouche, I also bought Derwent ink pencils. I wish the people here would stop mentioning neat art supplies...I have to go out and buy them. :lol:

Maybe we can have a talk about art supplies in the Cafe next month and I can go completely broke.

Meanwhile we probably should get back to the subject of this thread. You might want to host a group movement later on. :heart:

trafford
07-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi!

Changed my mind and will start this series with THE FAUVES, a brighter choice, and a lttle more universal. I love THE ASHCAN SCHOOL, and will do it after. So that's it...see you soon. :cool:

azulparsnip
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe we can have a talk about art supplies in the Cafe next month and I can go completely broke. -----quote from Janet #11 -

LOL

artbyjune
07-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Have you got primitivism (primitives), Scottish colourists, naive artists in your list?

artbyjune
07-27-2009, 02:43 AM
BTW, ashcan school might be a good choice to start just because it is a bit more obscure...people might be intrigued. I like the Fauves mind you.

trafford
07-27-2009, 06:54 AM
OK, I'll start with the ashcan group. I have done research on both, so I'm all set. Thanks for helping me decide. I was going back and forth in my mind.

With that long list in artcyclopedia, you would think they would include naive art. I thought primitive was the same thing as naive, but there are quite a few differences. The Scottish colorists look like a good one too. We should be around a long time. :heart:

azulparsnip
07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
sounds good

artbyjune
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a little book on the history of art and a few art schools and movements are mentioned.

Pre-Renaissance
Sienese school, Italy (Duccio)
International Gothic
Bruges school of Flemish painting (van Eyck)
French primitives (Fouquet)
Flemish school

Renaissance

Florentine (Botticelli)
German school (Durer)
Venetian

Age of Baroque

Dutch school
Flemish school
English miniaturists (Samuel Cooper)
Genre painting
Rococco

Age of Neoclassicism

English landscape shool (Cotman)
Barbizon school (T. Rousseau)
Ancients (S. Palmer)

Modern age

Dada
Bauhaus
Constructivism
automatism
graffiti art
St Ives school

trafford
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I know there must be lots more than was on artcyclopedia's list. I think some groups splintered off into other groups. The dadaists claim automatism and so do the surealists. I'm learning a lot, before the series even starts :lol:

WildGoose
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Good idea for a series, Trafford!:thumbsup:
Glad to be a host for something or 2 in the Fall/Winter months.. .. lean towards the DADA and BAHAUS time-line on the list...but not sure yet...
Regards,
Chris/WildGoose

trafford
07-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Great, Wild Goose. Just let me know what you want to do and when. :cool:

artbyjune
09-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Here's a link about art movements.

http://arthistory.about.com/library/outlines/blmodern.htm?nl=1

trafford
09-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Great list June. There are so many I would like to do but am hampered by the "copyright" rule. I still think we should be able to post an original for study purposes, as long as the artist is not living and we are not making a copy. The other forums do this all the time, but we may be different because we use the images as source for art work. Wild Goose, did a good job of showing little, but making it interesting.

Anyway, if no one else wants to do a group...I was thing of the Pre-Raphaelites or Naive Art. There are enough primitive artists to post and we could really go to town on this one.

My favorite from the list is "The Glasgow Boys" :)

artbyjune
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
That site also has lists of earlier art time-lines...Renaissance etc.

http://arthistory.about.com/library/outlines/blrenaissance.htm

Naive art sounds like good fun. I rather like Henri Rousseau and the jungle pix. I will post it next month if you like?:D

trafford
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
If you want to do Naive, that would be great, then maybe I can catch up, or do one of the other threads. :heart: