PDA

View Full Version : Another one from a newbie

MichaelFraley
07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I've only been working in pastels for a couple of weeks in my summer drawing class at the local university, but I like how this still life turned out. Rembrandt pastels on 18x24 Strathmore tinted charcoal paper. About 7 hours of work in this, all told.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2009/14941-3732707537_a39c4bd3ca.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
There ya go - now, I am going to move this over to the Studio portion of the forum so people can comment.

Donna T
07-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the Pastel forum - awesome still life! Great job on the skull. I hope you'll continue with your pastels - I would like to see more like this!

Donna

MichaelFraley
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
There ya go - now, I am going to move this over to the Studio portion of the forum so people can comment.

Thank you. I didn't know that I had it posted in a place that wasn't appropriate. I do appreciate the help!

MichaelFraley
07-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the Pastel forum - awesome still life! Great job on the skull. I hope you'll continue with your pastels - I would like to see more like this!

Donna

Thank you. Most of my interest has been in gouache before this. I was delighted recently with the way that pastels handed as an opaque colour. I'd never invested in a good quality set of pastels before getting the Rembrandts, and that made all of the difference in the world.

IMaybe
07-18-2009, 11:56 PM
:clap: Very nice, I guess you drew this from life as well? How do you like that paper? Its a bit light weight, isn't it? Can you try the Mi Tientes? or Fabriano or Tizano for your class? Oh, and welcome--don't stop here!! keep posting!

water girl
07-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Welcome. This is very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

mudfish
07-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Well, now you can use your gouache for underpainting your pastel & love your art double. Welcome!

oakrose
07-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Nice work. Hope you stick with the pastels and show us more as you go.

Colorix
07-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi Hugo, it sure did turn out very nicely! Rembrandts are a great brand for the technique you use, as they are firm enough but also soft enough. The skull is clearly the area of interest, really good job on this painting!

Charlie

MichaelFraley
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, the still life was drawn live. I'm getting to the point that reference photos are like instant tea - OK, but not comparable to the real thing.

I imagine that the skull is the focus of the picture, but I tried very hard to pay as much attention to everything else. The skull is the "real thing," and I spent a lot of time trying to do her justice as an artifact of a unique human soul who was held by her mother and walked the earth, etc.

The Strathmore paper IS a bit thin, but I have a soft touch, so it's taking a fair beating and still holding up. Most of my non-pastel drawing has been on either bristol board or illustration board, so I'm new to knowing what an appropriate surface for pastel would be. I know that at least one or two more pastel projects in our class will be on Lennox 100, which is a nice paper. The others IMaybe mentioned I'm not familiar with, and may have to special order.

As for combining gouache and pastel, I was aware that Degas and illustrators such as Bob Peak did that, and I'm looking forward to trying it.