PDA

View Full Version : Sat show - I'll start early...lol

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
ok guys. I got to torch - woo, woo!!!!! I made these 2 fish and a turtle by using a marble implosion technique for the bodies - what do you think of these?

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Here is the sea turtle.....

gypsywind
07-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Those are amazing Rich!!!
I especially love the first one... it has such depth... great eyes!
Dang! and check out the scales on the second one....

Sheesh.. I have so much to learn and a "grown-up" torch would probably be amazing to work with... *sigh*

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Juliana - the bodies were made using an implosion technique I use when making marbles, then flattening it for a fish body, adding find, eyes and a mouth. BUT, I still am learning!!!!! <----- newby at making fish!

gypsywind
07-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Rich.. I love marbles!... first I just used to collect old ones.. then found hand made ones... and I was hooked.. I would love to learn that one day...but
since the only "learnin'" I've done so far is 2 nights a week for 10 weeks in a night school class, well..... pretty much EVERYTHING is new to me!!

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Start here with watching my video and let me know if it helped you! This is part 1 of 3 parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGRCl-V4j08&feature=PlayList&p=6D71B3BE804D943D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

cantdrawanything
07-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Awesome fish Rich !!!!! Really like the implosion applications. Too cool!

gypsywind
07-18-2009, 02:27 AM
That was really great Rich.. way more info than some of the others that I have watched... you explain why as well as how. Well.. marble making is still beyond my reach.. unless Santa brings me a grown up torch this year.. *wink-wink* err.. and a kiln... lol...right now I rely on my teacher and a couple of friends from my class who fell in love with fusing to get my annealing done. This is definitely a hobby that takes a chunk of change to start up!

I appreciate all your encouragement.. everyone is so nice around here!

ok.. but I gotta know.. ever catch that beard on fire? I'm sure many have asked but remember.. I'm new! And please... call me Julie.. or Joules... Juliana sounds just way to formal for me!

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Julie - yes, about 2 1/2 years ago it burned back to 4" long but not it's back out to 8" long...ho,ho,ho!!!

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 03:47 AM
"Well.. marble making is still beyond my reach.. unless Santa brings me a grown up torch this year.. *wink-wink* err.. and a kiln... lol...right now I rely on my teacher and a couple of friends from my class who fell in love with"

I started on a Quiet Head (less than a Hot Head!) and MAPP gas and made my first marble ... so.... it CAN be done! I asked my friends to anneal my work (batch anneal).

Good luck and hang in there!!!!!

I used to be a Guide here (helped out the beginning lampworkers) but now I choose to join the ranks of the regular people.

You guys ROCK!!!!!

Ellen Altamore
07-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Rich - your fish a a-maze-ing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samma
07-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Rich - Your fishies are fabu. Your are really becoming quite a good fish-er-man ;-D
I'm still blowing shells like a crazy woman getting ready for the Gathering. Here's one of my recent favs:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs172.snc1/6455_1177401471592_1124771816_30561587_5264853_n.jpg

Crazy Woman
07-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Rich - Your fishies are fabu. Your are really becoming quite a good fish-er-man ;-D
I'm still blowing shells like a crazy woman getting ready for the Gathering. Here's one of my recent favs:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs172.snc1/6455_1177401471592_1124771816_30561587_5264853_n.jpg

Rich, I really like what you are doing with the implosion! Great idea.

Samma, you can't be blowing shells like a crazy woman.... I'm the crazy woman ~ who wishes that she knew how to blow shells! They are beautiful, each and every one!

cantdrawanything
07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Samma, Yum! That is beatiful. I love the colors! Wow!

Samma
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks ;-D
Leslie...you know, I thought of you when I typed that and did think...I can't be Crazy Woman....that's Les...tee hee ;-D..and there is already a one and only Loco...so I guess, I'll just be a cookoo bird ;-D

demcc
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Rich, I love the eyes in the reddish-brwn fish They are so lifelike Was that your first turtle? It came out awesome.

Julie, Rich is the person who is responsible for nudging me to the marble side:lol: I STILL go back and watch his video just to hear him say "PATIENCE!" :rolleyes: Which I sometimes don't have much of :confused: :lol:

Hi Samma! Thank-you soo much for the pendant! Thats really cool! A day after receiving it, the thing went missing.It turns out my son "adopted" it:eek:

So I'm sharing it with him for now!

Duane
PS Rich, I DO have the pic for you

maroli
07-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Start here with watching my video and let me know if it helped you! This is part 1 of 3 parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGRCl-V4j08&feature=PlayList&p=6D71B3BE804D943D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

Thank you very much Rich for this video, very useful and your fish are very nice too.

Samma really so beautiful shell you done :clap:

Duane very nice bead

maroli
07-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Here, a bead not well form and too heavy but it was a practice to make a Medusa. I used a booklet on Pati Walton (http://www.patiwalton.com/) (by Jim Kervin) and her DVD (The aquarium bead) to make it. One day I will repeat this experience and make one with a good well form bead.

So many to learn ...

I am so fascinating by the work of Pati Walton.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2009/80389-meduseJPG_small.jpg

P.S. I also tried to make her fish cane but at the end I do not see the fish :lol: but that is a another story ...

Have a nice Saturday ...

Sueze
07-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Rich you never cease to amaze me with your glass creations.

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks to all of you for your support. Good pix Duane, you are having SO much fun! Samma, wonderful colors in your shell! Lise, I like the thick look of your bead.

gypsywind
07-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I started on a Quiet Head (less than a Hot Head!) and MAPP gas and made my first marble ... so.... it CAN be done! I asked my friends to anneal my work (batch anneal).

Hmmm... I guess I figured that a crock pot wouldn't be enough heat to get/keep it stable before you get it to the kiln.. interesting....... tempting...

Glad you weren't hurt when the beard lit up!

richsantaclaus
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I just cooled my beads in a fiber blanket since (at that time) I didn't have a kiln. Fortunately, I knew a few people that did and they kindly batch annealed my stuff for me. FYI, batch annealing takes a chance that the glass might just thermal shock anyway. Annealing on the run in a kiln is the best.