PDA

View Full Version : Plein-air, looking from the back yard

IMaybe
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
:wave: Again I am here with another small plein-air. Trees, again. I know, we see a lot of trees here! Next time, maybe a still life draw, and painted outside with outside light!!!! Anyhow, this is also on a grey canson, no underpainting, just went right over my value sketch with color. I have such a hard time with foreground! Anyhow, its begun more than 50 ft. from me in order to simplify! C's and C's always needed!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2009/128302-july_plein-air_009_409x519.jpg I had trouble with the bank of rubble and rock right behind the trees. Oh well, next time!! These are young cotton woods, and have fairly light trucks when hit by sunlight. Thanks for looking! Funny how you see things AFTER YOU POST IT! Till next time!

Donna T
07-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Looks good to me, Ida! The greens of the trees look great against the oranges on the background hill.

Donna

bchlvr
07-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Great job! The main tree is especially well done!

jackiesimmonds
07-18-2009, 03:04 AM
you know what you said about it's funny how yuo see things AFTER you post....this is quite normal, suddenly you see it a different size, and things jump out at you.

a lot of artists look at their work in a mirror. Stand it against something, then turn around with your back to the picture, and hold up a mirror, look at your pic in the mirror. You will see all sorts of things yuo did not notice when you were working.

Jackie

kentiessen
07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
There is a great range of color, value, and variation in this! The composition is good, too. I like the transitions you've included.
The warm area does compete with the trees- is it a shadow area? You might think about a visual hierarchy for the trees (which of them is most important) and orchestrate that.

Lynne Vokatis
07-18-2009, 02:16 PM
i love the composition and the colors!!!:thumbsup: great job!lynne

Merriel
07-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I really like the tree colors. Nice job.

merriel

IMaybe
07-18-2009, 10:47 PM
:) After looking at this and thinking, I have decided the compostion sure should of been thought thru better as I was painting. The trees are coming right out og that bush thats supposed to be in front!!! Instead of looking as if it were ovrlapping, with the trees behind, it appears as tho the trees are sprouting right out of it--not good. The shadow color behind the trees is poor as well. But, that how a plein-air beginner struggles, and it was a good lesson in seeing--I really studied the trees and maybe next time won't have such a hard time of it. Thanks for looking!!! I'll keep working.

nvcricket
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
You have my head looking up.....

Another great job Ida. Is your goal one a week, or two a week now.

Carol

IMaybe
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
:wave: Hey Carole, I try one a day!!! Why not? Although sometimes not in the mood and have to read, and think and plan. I'll be out in the am with all my junk----getting the easal up and down easier now, but still find myslef hunting and hunting the perfect spot!! the viewfinder help. as there are wonderful sights all around us. It helps with the drawing, too. Hows your work coming?

nvcricket
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I so wish I didn't have the "Moses syndrome", or "the grass is greener on the other side"... I waste so much time searching that ideal spot.

Ideally what I would look to paint is something that strikes me, grabs my attention, search for that one spot of light, unique rock, shadows and reflection. Search....find it....work out the composition/values with small sketches, then go for the gusto of that moment.

Ida, around your home, all I have to do is blink, and my search is over. I may try to play hookie next week, but will have to do some calling and rescheduling. So busy at work. Next weekend-Fri, Sat - camping up at the blue lakes....join me for a morning plein air.

Carol