PDA

View Full Version : Derwent Pencils

kitaye
08-28-2002, 06:34 PM
OK, I finally got tired of fighting with prismacolours and decided to get some Derwent pencils. Only when I went to the art store they only had Derwent Watercolour pencils. I went ahead and bought a 12 pencil set but when I opened the package I found a pamphlet talking about Derwent Artists Colour Pencils and Derwent Studio Colour pencils.

I would like to hear from the Derwent users here about which of these three types you use; how do they respond to blending; are they soft leads or hard leads; and any leads on where to get them(preferably in Canada)? Please help.

ShellyF
08-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi kitaye! I don't know much about derwents, (have some, but have never really tried them), but if you are looking for a good online site for ordering in Canada, try www.currys.com , I live near one of their stores and their prices are really good. I know they have a few locations, but I think they are all around Toronto, but their website has everything.

Also try www.loomisandtoles.com . I find they are a bit more $$, but not much and they have good sales. Good luck!

TeAnne
08-28-2002, 08:28 PM
I prefer the Derwent watercolour. They are softer to use. All you need to know can be found in the stickys at the top :)

kitaye
08-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Erin
Hi kitaye! I don't know much about derwents, (have some, but have never really tried them), but if you are looking for a good online site for ordering in Canada, try www.currys.com , I live near one of their stores and their prices are really good. I know they have a few locations, but I think they are all around Toronto, but their website has everything.

Also try www.loomisandtoles.com . I find they are a bit more $$, but not much and they have good sales. Good luck!

Thanks erin, I'll check these guys out for sure.

Teanne, hey thanks. I searched under derwent but didn't see anything pertaining to my questions. I'll read through the stickys just to see what I missed.

gemmag
08-29-2002, 12:01 PM
Erin,

I use both Prismacolor and Derwent Studio. I like both depending on what I'm doing. As far as the Artist versus Studio derwents,,,, the Studio pencils are made of the exact same core (I read this on the tin of my Studio pencils) as the Artist pencils. The only difference is the circumference of that core is smaller, they say that the Studios are better for finer line work but I use them for all of my work not just the fine lines. I like the varity of browns that the derwents have to offer. I have used both prismacolor and derwent on the same painting and have not seen any issues at all.

Hope this helps,
Gemma

Brooke
08-29-2002, 04:05 PM
I've just found Jerry's Artarama has 60 pencil sets of Derwent Signature for $59.99 (US). A great price in any country!
jerryssale.com/designcolpen.html I'm gonna order them even tho I have evey pencil in existence!

gemmag
08-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Brooke
I've just found Jerry's Artarama has 60 pencil sets of Derwent Signature for $59.99 (US). A great price in any country!
jerryssale.com/designcolpen.html I'm gonna order them even tho I have evey pencil in existence!

The signature pencils are definitely a different pencil. I personally didn't like the way they layered. They are much larger around so therefore, it's difficult to sharpen them. You may want to buy a just a few before you invest in a whole set to see if you even like them.

Gemma

kitaye
08-29-2002, 06:36 PM
Thanks Gemmag for the info. As I said in one of my other posts in CP forum...I now have a whole range of brands to play with. Lets hope it was the pencils and not an ID-10-T user error (sorry computer background).

Brooke
08-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Since I can't stand not having every single colored pencil in the world, even tho I never get any art projects done, I just ordered a 60 piece set of Derwent Signature.
But before I did that, I called Derwent and asked them to send me a sample pencil, which they did. It fits in sharpeners just fine, but I won't be able to report on layers until I get the rest of the pencils.
The sample pencil feels really nice, and it is nice to not have to worry about fading.

Christie
08-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by kitaye
Thanks Gemmag for the info. As I said in one of my other posts in CP forum...I now have a whole range of brands to play with. Lets hope it was the pencils and not an ID-10-T user error (sorry computer background).

Kitaye, try Nordraft in Edmonton. I know that the Calgary store has Derwent cps.

I did not think that anyone else used ID-10-T! I love that expression! :D

kitaye
08-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Christie

Kitaye, try Nordraft in Edmonton. I know that the Calgary store has Derwent cps.

I did not think that anyone else used ID-10-T! I love that expression! :D

:D Me too.

I'll see if I can get hubby to go "looking" with me again and I'll try Nordraft. It's always good to have several options for art supplies.

I found a place just down the street from where I work "Delta Paint and Decorator" or something like that (for those in Edmonton they are on 118 Ave at 124th St a block west of The Good Lab). They turned out to be a complete art supply warehouse who also sold to individuals. I spent a huge soum of money and now have Derwent Artist Pencils, Faber Castell Pencils, Col-Erase Pencils, Start(made by derwent for schools so kinda crumbly), and a Derwent White Pastel pencil. I'm hoping to try out each type this weekend.

Wingnut
08-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Whoa! pencil addicts... cool :cool: me too!

I'm using Prismacolors and Derwent Artists. I like some of the color range better in the Derwents (for earthtones anyway) they are just a bit more "earthy" than the Prismacolor equivalent (at least to my eye) I also think they lay down just a bit dryer than the prismas or a bit less waxy is all - but in the end they seem to layer and blend the same though. The Derwents are also the only ones I've had any problems with breaking in my sharpener (not often) but they are pretty thick!

kitaye
08-31-2002, 12:11 AM
Not just pencils Wingnut. I am an art supply addict. Truthfully though, I keep testing out different brands of pencils and paints that have been suggested by people on WC. I went a little crazy when I saw hat this warehouse carried so many of the brands I'd seen mentioned. I only bought 12 pencils of each kind so it isn't that bad. :D

BTW Thanks for the info on the Derwent Artist pencil. I want something that is a little less waxy than prismas. I think I'm glad I picked those up for sure.

darlingart
08-31-2002, 04:56 AM
I have the Derwent Artists (72) set, the landscape and portraiture sets (24 each) and the watercolour set. I would love the signature series but havn't seen them here (Australia). I was told the difference in the studio and the artist was that the artist is slightly larger in diameter and that the artist pencils have more genuine pigment and the studio has less. The booklet I have dosn't actually say anything about the pigment, although it does say the 'Artists range has a soft slightly waxy colour strip ideal for blending and superimposing' and the studio pencils are 'ideal for fine detailed work, these slim coloured pencils are specially formulated not to crumble during use'. This makes me think that the formulation of the pigments is different other than just the size of the pencil kwim?

I did find that many of the Derwents were too big to fit in a hand held sharpener - I finally got a rotary one and have no problems, havn't had any breakages either and I have a really heavy hand.

I havn't tried prismas, so can't compare but I don't find the derwents too waxy, and havn't yet had a problem with wax bllom. They also layer and blend really well, even with my inexperienced hand:)

Elankat
08-31-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by gemmag

The signature pencils are definitely a different pencil. I personally didn't like the way they layered. They are much larger around so therefore, it's difficult to sharpen them. You may want to buy a just a few before you invest in a whole set to see if you even like them.

Gemma

I want to get some Signatures in some pinks because Prisma's lightfastness for pinks is the big suck. :p

Brooke
08-31-2002, 12:30 PM
The main reason I'm looking forward to using the Signature series is the lightfastness, which is supposed to be high, and that they use pure pigments. Also, they are identified by "real" names like "Cadmium Yellow" rather than "canary yellow".

kitaye
08-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by darlingart
The booklet ...

I did find that many of the Derwents were too big to fit in a hand held sharpener...

I don't find the derwents too waxy, and havn't yet had a problem with wax bllom. They also layer and blend really well, even with my inexperienced hand:)

Thanks DarlingArt. It was the pamphlet that made me want to try the Artists pencil because I would love less wax. I find prismas get hard to blend after a few dozen layers cause the wax is so thick. At that point they are almost like crayon.

I may have to invest in a pencil sharpener if I can't sharpen these properly. I've had a couple of people suggest electric sharpeners so I may look at those.

Elankat
08-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kitaye

Thanks DarlingArt. It was the pamphlet that made me want to try the Artists pencil because I would love less wax. I find prismas get hard to blend after a few dozen layers cause the wax is so thick. At that point they are almost like crayon.

I may have to invest in a pencil sharpener if I can't sharpen these properly. I've had a couple of people suggest electric sharpeners so I may look at those.

If you are having that much trouble with Prismas, it is probably due to one of two issues (or both). Either you are using heavy pressure on your layers. This flattens the tooth of the paper. Alternately, you are not using a paper that has enough tooth.

I use medium to light pressure and Stonehenge paper. I have layered area with up to 24 layers of color without any troubles.

Not using a sharp point can also have an impact because the color doesn't get into the "valleys" of the paper.

By no means am I recommending Prismas over Derwents. I just wanted to mention that there are probably reasons why you are having issues with your Prismas. :)

kitaye
08-31-2002, 04:40 PM
I do use a heavier pressure than has been suggested. I'm tryin to remedy that habit but someimes I just forget to monitor myself.

I've been using foam board and it does appear to be pretty smooth. Maybe I'll go to the art store and find some Stonehenge. Stonehenge has colourd paper, yes?

Originally posted by Elankat

If you are having that much trouble with Prismas, it is probably due to one of two issues (or both). Either you are using heavy pressure on your layers. This flattens the tooth of the paper. Alternately, you are not using a paper that has enough tooth.

moxilla
08-31-2002, 08:01 PM
I have just started using the Derwent Studio pencils (and some Caran D'ache Pablos) and I am much happier with these than the Prismacolors, so far. If I had to describe the effect of working with these pencils, I would say it is like doing an oil painting with a 3 hair brush. Very painstaking and very worth it.

AND

Call me crazy, rolleyes: but I hate the electric sharpeners because it wastes so much pencil, so I use a utility knife, the kind you snap off as it dulls, and I ritually sharpen and get a great point and far less WASTE. I spose if I won powerball, I would have jillions of each pencil and a charming assistant to sharpen them all. But til then, I guess I will be hand sharpening. Besides, it's almost meditative!!

Susie:

Elankat
08-31-2002, 11:01 PM
Yes Kitaye, Stonehenge comes in several shades of neutrals (whites, creams, grays, light browns, and black). If you want more exotic colors, look at Canson Mi-Tientes or Strathmore Artagain Pastel paper. Those come in a wider variety. Use the smoother side of the Canson or Strathmore. Canson won't take as many layers and isn't as heavyweight as Stonehenge.

There are lots of other paper options. Go look at the Useful Links sticky thread at the top of the forum and there's a link to a "Favorite Paper Surface" thread that has a LOT of recommendations for CP papers.

gemmag
08-31-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by darlingart
I was told the difference in the studio and the artist was that the artist is slightly larger in diameter and that the artist pencils have more genuine pigment and the studio has less.

Here's what it says about the Studio vs the Artists pencil On the back of the tin that the Studio pencils came in, "The Pigment core is identical to the Derwent Artists, so they work beautifully together." It goes on to say that the Studio pencils are slimmer than the Artist pencils. So,,,, if you have problems finding the Artists pencils the Studios should work just as well.

Gemma

Brooke
09-01-2002, 02:34 PM
I've found out that if you look up the paper manufacturer's addrewss on the computer and send them a note, they will send you samples. They seem happy to do this - I especially got a big package fromm Stonehenge.

kitaye
09-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Brooke
I've found out that if you look up the paper manufacturer's addrewss on the computer and send them a note, they will send you samples. They seem happy to do this - I especially got a big package fromm Stonehenge.

That's a pretty sweet deal. Maybe I should gt samples of different papers. I know there was a thread going around about that before but I didn't have access to my computer for awhile. I assumed it was a special deal for a short time. Guess that's what I get for assuming anything. Thanks Brooke.

Brooke
09-02-2002, 02:21 PM
No, it is actually not a "deal" - the paper manufacturers want to get their paper in artists' hands to be used and tried. So they seem more than happy to send sample packages out. The only trick is figuring out the manufacturer to write to. Like I know Stonehenge is made my a manufacturer with a different name, but I can't remember it now. Then they usually ask what kind of art you do. Once you tell them you can expect to get some very nice paper. I've received Stonehenge samples in all shades plus white, Strathmore (which I loved) and a watercolor paper made by Michael Wilcox. I imagine I could go on, but I have all I need right now. I usually just say I heard about their paper and want to give it a try. That does the trick. That's how I got my one sample Derwent Signature pencil, too.

jsr88
09-02-2002, 10:07 PM
A very interesting thread going here...
I was really glad to read that I wasn't the only one who prefers hand sharpening to the electric or battery sharpener. :D Yesterday as I was trying REALLY, REALLY hard to work on a red flower...I was sharpening my reds VERY often...I ran into one pencil that completely refused to go through the auto sharpener. (It's now HALF the size of the others due to constant breakage - oh, it was a Van Gogh.)

At any rate, I found myself sitting with the pencil in one hand, my canister sharpener in the other and for the rest of the day, the project went quite well. Actually, I should say that the pencils worked well...the project is quite another story. :D I shouldn't have started out on such highly textured paper. What was that user error again...oh yes...ID-10-T That's ME!

I'll try again tomorrow. ;)

darlingart
09-03-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by gemmag

Here's what it says about the Studio vs the Artists pencil On the back of the tin that the Studio pencils came in, "The Pigment core is identical to the Derwent Artists, so they work beautifully together." It goes on to say that the Studio pencils are slimmer than the Artist pencils. So,,,, if you have problems finding the Artists pencils the Studios should work just as well.

Gemma

Thanks Gemma! At least I know if I need pencils in a hurry I can get the studio ones, especially as they are cheaper:) Actually, I might get some anyway for finer detailed work (yep, that sounds like a plausible excuse to buy more pencils!).

I was looking for more info on them and read (on one of my tins or pamphlets can't remember which) that the pigments are non-toxic...which must mean at least for some of them like Cadmium yellow, that the pigments aren't pure.

Something I havn't been able to find anywhere is the lightfast ratings of Derwents (other than the Sig. range) - does anyone know the ratings?