PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon glow - Mount Martha WIP

LEIGH RUST
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi all, here is my latest work in progress. I'm working on a half sheet of hand primed colourfix which has double the grit of the normal stuff (I've found that it bites brilliantly and gives me more intensity in the colours I'm laying down). My aim is to capture that dazzling light in the afternoon before the sunk sinks down the horizon. The first signs of the golden light are peeking through along the top of the headland.

This scene is one just near my main gallery Original Oz where I'll be demonstrating this weekend. I've painted this headland many times in different lights and angles but thankfully I never get bored with it.

http://leighrust.com/afternoon-glow-mt-martha.jpg

I'll have another update for this piece tomorrow as I'm hoping to have it completed and framed, ready for delivery to the gallery on Saturday when I go to do my demonstration.

Lynne Vokatis
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
just beautifull!i love the simple shapes and the way you captured the light.!!!!!lynne

birdhs
07-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I also am not tired of this wonderful scene, and you have captured the essence of another briliant afternoon. Looking forward to your next post.;)

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eyes.:cat:

Merethe T
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
This is going to be gorgeous - the sky is beautiful! Wonderful light, can almost feel the temperature....we'll never get bored of this scenery either, I look forward to the update!

LEIGH RUST
07-18-2009, 09:42 AM
http://leighrust.com/afternoon-glow-mount-martha.jpg
Here is the completed piece. I was really pleased with the way it wrapped up, especially the quality of the light in the scene. Many people commented that it is a sunglasses piece which I found to be a great compliment.
Thanks to everyone who has dropped in and made comments, I'm so glad you like it!

SonyaJ
07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
This is just fantastic! This painting really does a great job of making me feel I'm there (or really wanting to be there).

Thank you for posting this as a WIP, along with your other stunning beach/ocean landscapes in the other thread. Aside from the aesthetic enjoyment of seeing such accomplished work, they are also excellent teaching tools for those of us wishing to improve our own paintings :) .

David Patterson
07-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Beautiful Leigh!

Donna T
07-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Definitely a sunglasses piece! Beautiful painting in every way, Leigh!

Donna

LEIGH RUST
07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Thank you for posting this as a WIP, along with your other stunning beach/ocean landscapes in the other thread. Aside from the aesthetic enjoyment of seeing such accomplished work, they are also excellent teaching tools for those of us wishing to improve our own paintings :) .

Wow! Thanks for the high praise! As for learning tools I'm just about to get started on a DVD showing how I do my beach scenes. I was wondering what people would like to see most? Do you want to see the process for handling a coastal scene like this or something showing the movement of the water like Tide's in (http://leighrust.com/tides-in.jpg)? Eventually I'll be looking at both types of scene but I want to know what people want now.

Donna T
07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Of course we want to see both kinds of scenes, Leigh, but it seems a lot of us here are looking for instruction in painting convincing water.

Donna

bnoonan
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Love this and love the clouds. The harmony is in the color. Barb

IMaybe
07-21-2009, 09:54 AM
:clap: Just beutiful. Handleing the color is crucial, and while painting light even more so. So learning to paint "light" would be of interest--how it strikes objects we see in nature at different times of day, wheather it be land or water. Just love this one here, its so nice!!

Paula Ford
07-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Beautiful! Love the clouds!

crazywoman53
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I enjoy seeing your WIP also.. Good luck with the instructional cd's.. I know many of us need them. This piece is nice and I like the way the houses at the bottom sort of stay hid until your eye travels around and finds them.

Colorix
07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Leigh, beautiful! The cloud is especially well done -- subtle, not taking over, and so well executed!

As to your tutorial question: Waves, and sand! How on earth does one do sand so it looks natural? Often it has millions of 'craters' with footprints, too. The difference between dry and wet sand. And waves, how to capture the movement, and not get a frozen 'ice-wave'.

Charlie

LEIGH RUST
07-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Okay, it seems that I'll be starting work on a sand/surf/sky composition for the next DVD. I'm more than happy to show my process for creating sand and convincing water. If you'd like to know when the disc is ready for purchase just PM me for details.

MCSosenko
07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
What surface did you use?
Beautiful painting!
I am confused by the term "hand primed colorfix".
Did you use the art spectrum pumice gel on paper?

LEIGH RUST
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi! Thanks for commenting. What I meant with hand primed colourfix is that I've taken an existing sheet of colourfix paper, mixed my own primer gel and tinted it with pure pigment. This has then been applied using a 4" brush using a hatching approach to increase the texture in an even manner. By adding the pure pigment to my mix I've managed to get some luscious dark base tones which help the subsequent layers of pastel to have a lot more life and contrast.

PETE K
07-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Leigh, this is a superb piece. if it weren't for the blue roof . you wouldn't know it was a painting. fabulous job.

LEIGH RUST
07-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks Pete, I'm glad you like it

Tazz
07-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Beautiful Leigh, really just Beautiful. You've captured it perfectly Mate.

Jo Castillo
07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I always like to see your work. Lovely colors in the shadows and clouds. Beautiful piece.

LEIGH RUST
07-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the comments. This piece was all about the light and the only way I could convey the strong lighting was to have nice deep shadows to balance it out.

CJsArtWC
07-30-2009, 04:28 PM
This is a wow painting. Love it!