PDA

View Full Version : "Coming Home" / another one hour exercise

Susan Jenkins
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Here is my second one hour exercise. I'm not finishing the painting in an hour, but trying to get the whole general compostion down in an hour or less. My thinking is that it will keep me from getting too tight and bogged down in one area too soon.
It seems to be working.

Photo #1: I toned the whole paper with turquoise and worked quickly on the sky and general composition as a whole. I used a ref imagle of a little house, but came up with the landscape and composition from imagination in less than an hour.
Photo #2: The final which was completed in a couple of hours more.

I really tried to keep my strokes lose and not fill the entire surface.... letting some of the turquoise peak through. I also did not to any blending other that what the pastels actually blend themselves as I work.

I feel pretty good about this one.... but I want to soften the hard lines on the house a little.....
I'm excited to start another. I seem to be on a small building kick right now...

C&C welcome.... I'm learning and I love it!!! / approx 8 x 12 / La Carte / mostly Terry Ludwigs

:) susan

Paula Ford
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Lovely piece Susan! You're doing great with these fast ones.

I really like the composition and especially the colors in this. Toning with the turquoise definately unifies the painting. I do that also. It's funny, Richard McKinley says to tone with a warm color, but I can never seem to make that work. I usually tone with purples or blues.

This definately works!

Kathryn Day
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Susan, I really, really like this!! The turquoise unified it nicely. Keep em coming!!

RooGal
07-14-2009, 07:18 PM
wow susan, you did this in an hour?? would you please come here and show me how you do this so quickly, we have a spare room.

At any rate, I think it's beautiful.

PETE K
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Susan, this is great and you said you weren't that good with building. you sure could have fooled me. seeing your last 2 pieces.