PDA

View Full Version : Another try at plein-air this am--

IMaybe
07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
:wave: Hello again. I got up very early this am, loaded up 3 dogs, and headed to Hope Valley to try again at plein-air. It was beautiful, and I walked around, took pictures and waited for the sun to come over the mt. in the east. I saw a comp. I thought I would try, and on a peice of rose-grey canson that I had streched (like w/c paper) and then coated with one coat of clear colorfix, and after doing a small value drawing in my scketchbook, I did the value drawing on my canson with a purple nupastel--then I used alcolhol with a hoghair brush, washed the purple value drawing! Now I had a pattern of sun and shadow to begin my painting with. The canson paper takes this very well, this is the first time I have used the colorfix primer on it, tho. As soon as it dried, only minutes, I used a raw sienna rembrandt and swept in my sunlit areas and was so surprized at how well the colorfix grabbed on to the pastel color!!! So, from then on it was a battle, not knowing how to push the background mt. way back there, and just let the focal point take its place. Anyhow, I would use the paper this way again, as I got a lot of layers on!! (Is that good?) C &http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2009/128302-h.valley-2-july.jpg C's always.This is after 2 hours, then I went home to think. Here's a photo of where I was.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2009/128302-hope_valley_floor.jpg Darn dog! The gesture of the tree was leaning to the left as it went up, and I must of been thinking of that when I drew it!! Sure is getting dryier out there now, and I hope to get back there soon. Thanks.

aolaranora
07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Love the colors on this one. Much better then reference!:thumbsup:

DMcGowan
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow, LOOK at where you are! And I like the way your tree leans -very natural looking even if the natural one was more straight up!

Colorix
07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Ida, well done! But you forgot to paint in the dog that's in the ref! :-D Just kidding.

Very clear this is painted outdoors, as you got that special glow. Great Idea to use the Canson with Colourfix primer, I have to try that too. Is layering good? I couldn't paint without layering, and many people here in Pastels use the sanded papers, or the colourfix papers and primers, to be able to layer. If you like it, then it is good indeed.

You're using the right thinking to push the mountain back, as you've made it cooler, and the trees in front of it warmer in colour temperature. One trick people here mention now and then is to use some oranges under the greens of trees, especially the lit parts, and I mention it because you could use it to make the difference between trees and mountain even clearer.

I too like the leaning tree, it gives the scene a bit more 'action'.

Beautiful!

Charlie

westcoast_Mike
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I like how you've done the tree. Just a suggestion, on the far mountainside, if you went a little grey\blue or grey\green it would help push it back further. I know what you mean about dry, it's hasn't been very wet the last couple of Springs.

crazywoman53
07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
It sounds like your outing was wonderful and it makes me jealous I am stuck in the office instead of outside where I want to be. I like the character you have added to the tree. It reads more interesting leaning than straight. To push the background back go in with some greyer blues or lighter blued greens. I hope you work this up into a full piece.. it is quite pretty.

PETE K
07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Very nice P/A. love the bright colours this really makes this piece stand out. sounds as you found a process that works for you. and it worked very well.

Donna T
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I love seeing your PA work, Ida - you are so good at getting the feeling of the scene across! The leaning tree is great and has so much more character than a straight, predictable tree. I also like the contrast between your sunlit and shaded areas. Clear colorfix on Canson seems to work very well for you!

Donna

IMaybe
07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2009/128302-3-.jpg Hello again. I worked on this again this pm, after thinking about it and letting it sit a bit. Its not wonderful--but is an honest attempt at plein -air in the am, which I love. So much to learn about color!! Did you see in the newest pastel Journal, the article by Richard McKinnely??? About color, and fractured color showing lite effects? I loved it!! But I have to go out and look, and learn . Thanks for all your great comments, Donna T, and Clorix ---I'll be back back later, I have to go feed now, and cook, but I will read the comments again and think. Thanks so much!

Colorix
07-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Ida, love the changes you made. Actually, it is wonderful. PA is hard (to me it is), and I've read a comment by a master of PA who said that most of his are used for studio paintings, and only now and then he paints one that is perfect in itself. (So sorry, but I just can't remember who said it, Kevin McPhearson, maybe?)

Charlie

Donna T
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I like the changes you made, too, Ida. The grasses in front of the foreground rock soften that area a little but don't detract from the overall feel. Charlie's right - plein air is hard! I think once we get past the idea that a plein air painting should look like a refined studio painting we are so much more free to just paint the impression that the scene has on us. Or maybe that's just my excuse for producing some pretty crude plein airs!

Donna