PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful - critiques please.

pastel lover
07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted any work in awhile as I had feature artist show to get ready for, however, I am now practicing landscapes. Please take a look at this scene from a spot near my house & tell me what I could do better or any other crits you have. Thanks for your help.

Tanja445094

Donna T
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
This is so nice, Tanja, and the title fits. Very nice job on the big tree and its soft-edged sky holes.

Donna

westcoast_Mike
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I like the colors and you’ve shown a good use of values. I do see a lot of parallel lines though. You may consider breaking them up or varying them. I make the same mistake myself often.

IMaybe
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
:clap: Very pretty and peaceful----I like the compostion.......repetition with varitey, I hope I spellled that right. I was in a setting very close to this today.

aolaranora
07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Verly nice landscape!
My only try to improve it would be some bigger variaty in greens (yes, it always hard to find that right greens!). Greenish-blue shadows on close-up and far away trees are looking almost the same. I would leave it like that all, but the tree on a front. I would paint shadows on this one wormer... but it just me. Great work anyway! :-)

PETE K
07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
This is very nice your trees look great. my only thing is there is 4 different sections of the field and each one is a different colour seperated by lines. i would make the field more uneven mixing the colours in some ins and outs doun and ins. you may even keep the field colours the same as is with ou breaking them up with the brown lines. and i would add a little more shadow from the trees to break up the same colour. this still looks very nice.

pastel lover
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the kind comments & taking the time to critique this. The artists here possess so much talent & knowledge...yet you freely share with those of us who have questions...wonderful!

Donna T & Imaybe - thank you for your kind words.
Mike & Pete - I absolutely agree about the parallel lines & different sections. I see it looking at the photo & totally missed it looking at the painting RIL. I will take out the lines & make a more blended transition from field to field. Thanks.
Tatianna - I do need a bigger variety of greens & I am currently saving for a full set of greens. Until I get them, do you have any suggestions varying standard greens? I have tried glazing with purples, yellows & oranges without much luck. This photo is a lot more blue than painting IRL. It actually has much more purple & gold. However, I agree the close shadow need warming up. Thanks for suggestions.

Thanks again you guys.

Tanja

mudfish
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Blend some red w/ the greens to make a darker green, and put just a few small bits of red inside the trees - you'll be amazed at how much depth it will create.

pastel lover
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Mudfish,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Tanja

george c martins
07-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi Tanja

Well done....like the greens...

regards

aolaranora
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

Tatianna - I do need a bigger variety of greens & I am currently saving for a full set of greens. Until I get them, do you have any suggestions varying standard greens?

Tanja

Well, it is not so easy, if you don't have a right color of pastel (for me personally, i can not tell for rest of people). If you working with landscape you will need some ## of greens in different value and hues.
I personally finished with going on one of art supply sites and getting several sticks of different green color from different makers. It was few light greens with hint of yellow, few medium greens, some darker greens. Mostly they all were WORM greens, since for whatever reason most of standard sets will offer you nice variety of 3 or 4 cool greens what doesn't look like anything you see around. They still useful for some shadows or for some trees "far away", or for pines, but nice warm tree with big leaves, like oak or maple need very different shade of green.
Unfortunately, pastels are not a watercolor, or even oil color, you can not just mix it together so easy to get the right shade (unless you are real master, what I am not), so you just have to buy more sticks.
I would say; make your pick of colors you will use the most, go at any site what has open stock pastels and pick some up... Once again I would buy some from different manufactures, this way you will have your different colors, but also can compare, what pastels you like the best or what pastels you like for what purpose.
Sorry for not answering at this question any sooner, just don't have any time.

pastel lover
07-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Tatiana, I'll try buying some warmer greens. I had not noticed, but you are right most greens included in sets are cooler. Buying from different makers in also a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions & for taking the time to respond.

Tanja