PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt with nuPastels

jtlwilson
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Here is my first attempt with pastels on 8x12 Strathmore Pastel paper (i think).
Got the ref out of a magazine, took a half hour to paint.
All c&c's appreciated.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/jtlfox/028.jpg

Donna T
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
That's a very nice pear for your first ever attempt with pastels! If you feel like working from life it's a great way to learn to see the light on your subject. I imagine there are some interesting tropical fruits to use as models in the Bahamas!

Donna

IMaybe
07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
:wave: Yes, this is very nice---but I agree, working from a real pear would give you so much more!! You would have to compose your paintin, and draw its componets, and then paint and you would love all of that. You would learn to see like an artist----but for a first attempt, this one is very nice--shows form, and is a good begining.

jtlwilson
07-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for boosting my confidence!! Sometimes I get a little intimidated with drawing from life but I will give it a try.

DMcGowan
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Don't you just LOVE those NuPastels? Now you are hooked! Great job. If you get to feeling like playing around with it some more you could put a little shadow under the pear on the shadow side. Make the shadow color a mix of what the shadow is on, (in this case red) and it's compliment (green) plus a little bit of the pear color. This is really fun. With pastels you can layer on those colors 'til you get what you like. You'll notice that the little bit of the pear color is a reflection from the pear.

Merethe T
07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the dusty side, glad to see a new pastelist here! :wave:
This is a good first try - good form on the pear and beautiful, clean colors! Keep on painting, and post them here.... :)

PETE K
07-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Very nice for your first try with nupastels. they sure will get you.

Paula Ford
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the Pastel Forum Jessica!

This is a fabulous pear! Love the colors!

mudfish
07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
A wonderful start. Remember to be very careful about posting anything you've copied here or in public, its probably copyrighted. Best to work from your own photo or real life.

jtlwilson
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the advice and compliments and the warm welcome, hope i can learn alot from you all...

artsygala
07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Very nice. To get that depth of colour using hard NuPasels on what looks like Canson paper requires a very good 'touch'.

Can't wait to see your pieces done on a toothier paper!

jtlwilson
07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
thanks artsygala