PDA

View Full Version : Girl With A Gun

willcam
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Experimenting with Pentel drawing tinted with watercolor on 140# CP W/C paper. Since Pentel is not waterproof, I was doodling with both purposeful and accidental smudges that occur when the wet color hits the ink lines. The gun was an arbitrary choice; I thought her draped hand asked to be holding something, and I wanted something other than the standard flower, wine glass, etc. C & C much appreciated.

PVHooper
07-13-2009, 02:18 AM
nice drawing full of emotion in the line, color and body. Looks like she is contemplating something serious with those brooding eyes, the gun sort of suggests she just might be serious about it. I like your delicate line. Nice

Ranger Dan
07-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Kind of scary to see the gun - especially in today's society.

Jakeally
07-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Nice free flowing linework and lovely loose washes. Good job:thumbsup:

valchina612
07-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Well done, but I think I'd have rathered seen she'd spilt a cup of coffee or something similar, than the gun. :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

PVHooper
07-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Well for me the gun makes a statement, no necessarily pro-gun, for me the drawing says we accept guns too easily and they are too familiar in our society and that they shouldn't be taken lightly.

azulparsnip
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
the gun and the red pillow are kinda scary, it is depressing but well executed.....

Bluegill
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
I respond positively to the gun; not because I think guns are particularly nice or anything (I don’t own a gun or spend any time around them), but because my initial associations for this artwork are with “pulp fiction” -type works. A beautiful woman lounging with a pistol, to me, is more evocative of interesting movies or books than real-life crime or tragedy.

That’s why it immediately strikes me as a great illustration to accompany a story. I involuntarily thought of two things as soon as I saw it: The Shadowrun role-playing game, which I used to play with friends; and Quentin Tarantino.

However, I can certainly understand why other people would feel differently.

I certainly agree that the gun is more “loaded” (if you’ll pardon the pun) than a wine glass or a flower.

More generally speaking, there’s a very fluid, relaxed, natural feel to the drawing. I think the pen blurring and the paint complement one another well.

itschrisok
07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I love working with ink and water, it's always filled with emotions. I really like this piece.

willcam
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks, all, for the interesting posts. Every comment helps!

IslanderNL
07-19-2009, 07:18 AM
I like the look of this drawing/painting a lot. The pose is wonderful and the subtle colours and mingling is great.

The gun adds an element that makes the viewer stop and think which, for art, is a very good thing, no matter what side of the fence you're on for guns. :)

Cindy234
07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice, loose painting!! :clap: However, it appears to me she doesn't have any good intention with that gun. Worrisome picture.

JayDubya
08-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Very well done indeed! I like the watercolor and the ink runs. The gun was a great touch! I'd like to see more of your work.

- - -

I'm amused with the comments about the big bad gun! "Especially in today's society?" "...too familiar in our society?"

Those of you that are hoplophobic might want to find a cure to your illness. Here's a few sites that may help you:

- Hoplophobia Analysis (http://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia%20Analysis.htm)
This will help you understand the illness.

- Gun Facts (http://gunfacts.info/)
This will debunk all the gun myths Sarah Brady has been feeding you.

objectivistartist
08-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, too noticed it seemed if she'd had a syringe in hand, there'd be less negative commenting - an illness indeed... thanks for the downloads... :thumbsup:

Cindy234
08-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Maybe I'm a little influenced by being a trauma nurse...Been there, done that, after the fact.

SilverFeather
08-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Great "doodle". I love how the ink bled and the colors mixed!

It really started some controversy, huh? But you did say the gun was arbitrary, so . . . oh well.

Oh yes, I so know what you mean, Cindy.

AmericanPatriot
08-05-2009, 02:25 AM
I love guns. The only problem I have with this picture is the fact that anyone who knows how to shoot knows to keep their finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. So she is ready I guess, which is kinda weird, but oh well.
And to all those saying guns are too much of are society, you are sooo wrong. Everyone blames the gun, when what is the real problem is the thugs and punks who get high and go on a rampage. Plus they dont know anything about how to really handle a gun.
Also, without guns, America wouldnt be here. This nation was founded by men who fought with guns for your rights.
But I seriously am curious, what is with the hatred of firearms? I really am curious.

Cindy234
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Never said I hated guns. Sometimes (most times) I just don't like the aftermath of them. They have the potential to do great harm.

AmericanPatriot
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Never said I hated guns. Sometimes (most times) I just don't like the aftermath of them. They have the potential to do great harm.
But they also have the potential to do great good.

Cindy234
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I agree. 12 years ago, when I met and married my husband, who owns guns, we were out in the big old garden in the back of his rural property and I almost stepped on the biggest, fattest, lazy old moccasin you've ever seen. Right in the middle of our vegetable garden. He made me go into our house and get the shotgun and he taught me how to shoot a snake on the first shot. He taught me that they always travel in pairs, and to be on the lookout for the other one nearby. 12 years later, this skill has served me well. The only good moccasin is a dead moccasin. On the other hand, being on the receiving end of an ambulance bringing in yet another GSW (gun shot wound) tends to leave you a little jaded when it comes to guns. So...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! ...And isn't this what good art is? A picture that leaves you fascinated in one way or another?

AmericanPatriot
08-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I agree. 12 years ago, when I met and married my husband, who owns guns, we were out in the big old garden in the back of his rural property and I almost stepped on the biggest, fattest, lazy old moccasin you've ever seen. Right in the middle of our vegetable garden. He made me go into our house and get the shotgun and he taught me how to shoot a snake on the first shot. He taught me that they always travel in pairs, and to be on the lookout for the other one nearby. 12 years later, this skill has served me well. The only good moccasin is a dead moccasin. On the other hand, being on the receiving end of an ambulance bringing in yet another GSW (gun shot wound) tends to leave you a little jaded when it comes to guns. So...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! ...And isn't this what good art is? A picture that leaves you fascinated in one way or another?
Thats very true. If it evokes an emotion it is a good piece an art.

La_
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
okay, well ya drew me in enough to log on and comment :)

Fabulous pose! (made up? model? reference? )

Very Cool messiness combined with good line

I can't think of a thing you could have chosen to put in her hand that would have given a better impact and tho i'm not a gun fan myself, one must accept that they're out there, and in the hands of anyone and everyone - guns don't kill people, people kill people.

anyway, super duper well done and i love the poignancy of the story

one thought to ponder, via greyscale, is the reds strength - intentional or not ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2009/84648-Image1.jpg

la