PDA

View Full Version : One hour exercises

Susan Jenkins
07-12-2009, 08:17 AM
My last few paintings have been quite large and time consuming so I thought I'd get back to some quick studies to try and get some looseness back.

I found a ref image I liked, but I really strayed from it and came up with my own composition mostly out of my imagination. I gave myself one hour to get the composition down. I then worked on tweaking and completing the rest which was about 30 more minutes.

I'm going to do at least 3 more of these.... it was fun.

Here is then one hour point and the finished painting. I'm not a real building expert, but hopefully this is convincing enough as a shed... or whatever.

C&C is very welcome as these are exercises and I hope to learn.
9 x 6 La Carte / mostly Terry Ludwigs

:) Susan

Donna T
07-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Very nice, Susan, you sure can't get too fussy when you set a timer. I like the touches of blue in the foreground. I watched a demo by an oil painter recently and she said whenever she does any kind of older house or barn she puts a little slump in the roofline - even if it isn't there - to give it more of an older appearance. Somehow weathered wood, peeling paint and imperfect rooflines just go together. Looking forward to the next one!

Donna

Finnegan18
07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I love how the light draws the viewer right into the mountain/sky area and also into the field. That is, the foreground doesn't stop you as it sometimes does if there are many flowers or details. I love this one.

Paula Ford
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
This is lovely Susan! I love the light blues. The whole thing is so harmonious.

Susan Jenkins
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Paula... I actually tried toning the whole paper like you do and I found I really like how it sets the mood of the entire painting. I'm going to do that more often!

kennychaffin
07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Love it Susan!
Great exercise and great result!

aolaranora
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I like you barn ... and sky turned out very nice!
Great for just one hour. :-)

BetsyPriesing
07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Susan i really like the roughness of the 1st stage, especially the barn wood and the uneven overhang. the toned paper was a good choice it looks real good with the colors you choose. the blue flowers look great all fuzzy. Nice job.

dbjs
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Susan this is really lovely!

Merethe T
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Beautiful, impressive for one hour of work! I'm such a slow painter, could never do something like this in an hour....sounds like a fun exercise!

crazywoman53
07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
This is really pretty. I don't know that it needs anything else at all. Has a good feeling and composition to it. Leave it alone and enjoy it!

PETE K
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Susan, very well done. your shead works just fine nice comp and love your colours.