PDA

View Full Version : Another Male Head

Bongo1
07-08-2009, 11:47 PM
What do you guys think of this? Proportions? Likeness? Values? Are the lines on the left of his head distracting?

Struggled with this one.

nvcricket
07-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi Bongo!

I like how you accentuated some of the features like the eyebrows, and shape of is eyes. The neck area is a bit off to me. I think there should be darker values along the wide stretch of his chin, and your missing the down frown line that would give that part of his jaw line more structure.
Please be advised, I am not a portrait artist, just an admirer of your wonderful efforts!

Carol

jackiesimmonds
07-09-2009, 03:13 AM
This has lovely colour, and a good sense of solidity. However, do look again at the tip of the nose and think about "a nose" in three dimensions rather than simply copying the photo. The nose will have a central line if the face was turned towards you, that line is NOT where you have it right now because of the depiction of the light on the nose. Remember perspective; if the face is turned away, everything the other side of the "central line" down the face needs to be slightly different in proportion to anything to the right of that line.

Look again at the muscle in the chin, with this in mind. You would (and can, actually) see more of the near side of the muscle than the far side.

Look again at the size of the pupil of the near-side eye - you have made it much too small

and what do you plan to do on the right of the picture? He looks very odd right now....where is his ear, for instance? If you plan to leave it darkly suggested, you will have to think about this quite hard, you cannot leave it as it is. You don't have to guess, get out a good book on the anatomy of the head, it will tell you exactly how to locate the ear in terms of the underlying bone structure. Of course, everyone has slightly different sizes of ear, he might have large Dr Spock ears for all I know, but in general terms, you should be able to hint at where it is. At the moment, he looks a bit like someone has removed his ear!!!! Maybe he was doing a Van Gogh!!!

Bongo1
07-10-2009, 01:03 AM
What do you guys think of this version? I only now see the problem with the chin and will make the necessary adjustments later; hopefully I've fixed the problems that you guys pointed out. CC requested.

Thanks!

joolee
07-10-2009, 05:21 AM
I feel you have something of a likeness here and the skin tones are good. The right hand side is spoiling it though. The ear is much too far forward. If you are having problems with it, why not crop the painting?
Jools