PDA

View Full Version : July 4th

SMiller2
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Been messing with pastels lately... this is a plein air piece I did over the 4th weekend, down in Comfort, Texas. It was about 102 degrees, with a 50 cent breeze.

This is 14 x 11 on a pastel board. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/115020-Barns-and-Sheds-650.jpg

Bethany_Fields
07-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I love those bright seedheads against the dark of the barn. Nice!

Dougwas
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I can feel the heat. Good tones and colours in the old building. Well done plein air painting.

Doug

Lynne Vokatis
07-07-2009, 11:11 PM
now that looks like the colors of summer!beautifull plein air.hopefully we'll get alittle of that heat here in ny!!!;) lynne

jackiesimmonds
07-08-2009, 02:17 AM
I can really feel the heat you were working in. Super pic, well done.

winecountry
07-08-2009, 03:16 AM
superb plein air, composition and values just perfect..nothing overworked....wow, thanks for posting.

joolee
07-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Lovely work - everything about it is just perfect!
Jools

george c martins
07-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Hi

awesome piece...very very well done

regards

Merethe T
07-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Beautiful work, I love the light you've captured! I can feel the heat...

kennychaffin
07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Very nice Steve. I might add a bit of dark to the extreme foreground -- not much -- just a bit in the shadows.

Susan Jenkins
07-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Beautiful! I love everything about it. Those trees in the background are just gorgeous.

I noticed the Bible verse under your signature. What a great idea! I might have to copy that! Do you use the same verse with each painting... or one that you perhaps find appropriate? I checked out Matthew 6:26 and I had it underlined already... LOVE that verse!

God bless you and your art.... (looks like He already is!)
:) susan

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2009, 08:03 AM
You've captured the heat of the day beautifully - looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Donna T
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow! That's an awesome plein air painting! I love everything about it and am so glad you endured the heat! I hope you were in the shade.

Donna

SMiller2
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and comments. I appreciate your comments and insight(s).

Kenny, thanks for the suggestion. I did struggle with that exact thing. Since I just started messing with pastels, I'm still trying to find some good rich darks. I didn't realize that good pastels were so expensive....:crying:

Susan, thanks...:) The scripture sometimes relates to the image, sometimes I repeat it. In this case, it both relates to the image and present life. Trusting God for daily provision. It's been tough last few months. But I am learning that He is faithful!

Donna T. - thanks. I had an umbrella, which was a life saver. It's amazing what a little shade will do.

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
As they say, "one pastel stick at a time." Paint and they will come - :)

Shirl Parker
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
It looks hot.

dvantuyl
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Very well done. It very much has the feel of heat.

eutherpendragon
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
It's beautiful.
Not easy to paint in those kind of temperatures, I'm sure!
- Ann

Colorix
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Beautiful light, and it sure looks hot!

The reds in the tree really make it 'zing'.

Yes, isn't it funny that a handfull of sticks of pigment cost and arm and a leg? And the shirt too... The more expensive ones, those made of nearly only pigment, they have a tendency to last much longer than cheap ones, so it is more economical in the long run.

What are you painting on? One way of helping deep darks is to make a wet underpainting, watercolour/acrylics/oil washes. And then apply pastels on the dry underpainting.

Keep them coming!

Charlie

ARTMUTT
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Love the lighting and the use of color--very nice work!

SMiller2
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Kathryn, I went to a local art store and was stunned at the price of individual sticks.... average of $4 per stick, for Schmincke and Sennelier in particular. I love the way they handle. Keeps me broke.:crying:

Shirl, Dvantuyl, eutherpendragon, ARTMUTT - thanks for looking. Hot to be sure. Every summer I wonder why I'm in Texas. My wife and I had to go down to the Guadalupe River to cool off...

Colorix - I was working on a "PastelBoard", made by Ambersand. I like it because it has a sanded service like Wallis paper, but it is a piece of masonite, which works great for plein air on my plein air easel.

I do actually do a wash with pastel and mineral spirits to start with; seems to work well. Thanks for the comments.
sm

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Kathryn, I went to a local art store and was stunned at the price of individual sticks.... average of $4 per stick, for Schmincke and Sennelier in particular. I love the way they handle. Keeps me broke.:crying:
sm

Do some shopping online - Schminckes are great, but there are other less expensive pastels that do the job. Look through the catalog at Dakota and see the different brands. There are other online stores such as Blicks and Jerrys Artarama, as well as Ebay. We also have a Swap Shop here on WC where you can put a wish in for pastels. Ya never know!

jillstefaniwagner
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
REALLY nice plein air piece. I love old farm buildings and you have captured these wonderfully. I'm bowing....

FaeLynn
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Beautiful. I love your painterly style. Your use of color is spectacular!
I love the Bible verse too, lol, I have seen someone add to that" "But He doesn't throw it into their nests!"
Very nice work.

SMiller2
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Kathryn, I am hunting some of those "yard sale" prices... some will turn up somewhere.

jillstefaniwagner, thanks for the encouraging words... but "bowing"?:lol: Your pastel work is awesome. I checked out your web site and blog... excellent work!

FaeLynn said "But He doesn't throw it into their nests!"

That is funny.... thanks for your very kind and encouraging words...