PDA

View Full Version : Joy Road Farm 2

jillstefaniwagner
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I have been doing A LOT of plein air painting but only a few I have felt comfortable with. this beautiful farmhouse was surrounded by fields of golden wheat and I just had to paint it. I was drawn to the idea of a composition with a lot of field and a little architecture. Now that I see it on screen, I'm thinking I should tone down the smaller building because it has too much emphasis the way it is now...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/102124-JoyRoadFarm2.sm.jpg

Bethany_Fields
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I love it! The shadows of those trees are yummy. :)

Dougwas
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I really like the shadows and light hitting the house. The trees and green grass show up well with the golden wheat field in front. The small building on the left looks fine to me.

Doug

Lynne Vokatis
07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I like the compostion and colors. another beautifull plein air. i agree...love the shadows.lynne

Kathryn Wilson
07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Lovely painting and I agree, the small building needs to be toned down.

mudfish
07-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Is there some kind of horizon line behind the green hill? I can't tell from the pic, looks like it just drops off which may be why the small building stands out so.

Pippa
07-08-2009, 06:30 AM
I love it! I really like this sort of composition.

kennychaffin
07-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Jill I love this, unfortunately I don't get a sense/feel of wheat, maybe a few detailed stalks in the extreme foreground? I think the buildings are great and fine as they are.

Donna T
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I understand the appeal of a glowing wheatfield. This is so nice, Jill. I wonder if the empty sky space on the left isn't drawing our eyes out of the painting before we can explore all the good stuff happening around the house. Would it work to add foliage on the left and make more sky space nearer the center? I'm just thinking out loud, always trying to figure these things out for myself.

Donna

eutherpendragon
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Jill,
Great painting! I love the composition. I honestly don't feel like the second building stands out too much; my eye goes right to the larger, more detailed building first. Great work.
- Ann

C_Line
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I think the composition of this is just FANTASTIC! I love the concept - well thought out and executed. I also love the absence of a distant horizon line emphasizing the rolling hills. I'm wondering if you just smudged ever so slightly from sky down into that left building's roof line it would remove the sharpness of the edges and allow the eye not to be drawn to such a defined area?

I also love the golden field - not sure that it has to read as wheat - perhaps just a golden field? I'd be concerned that too much detail in the foreground would compete with the lovely focal point house. The field to me is a supporting cast - not the star.

Susan Jenkins
07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow! just love your plein air work! Your techinique is wonderful and you have a signature style. I have been a fan of your work for awhile and it just keeps getting better and better!

jillstefaniwagner
07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Thank you all for your help! I did a little tweaking and I think the painting is improved.

Dixie, I snuck in a teeny blue hill near the small building and lightened it up a bit.

Kenny, i threw in just a few more detail strokes in the foreground to imply the wheat.

And Donna, I added a bit of foilage behind the small building to decrease all the brightness over there.

THis version more accurately captures the color too...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2009/102124-JoyRoadFarm2rev.sm.jpg

Donna T
07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
It's amazing how a few small changes can make a difference! That little building is still there but it's not stealing our attention anymore. Beautiful painting, Jill!

Donna

kennychaffin
07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Excellent!

jillstefaniwagner
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Donna, couldn't have done it without you!

Merethe T
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
The changes you made really made this painting pop - fabulous work! The composition is great - really lovely piece.

FaeLynn
07-08-2009, 07:58 PM
That is a beautiful painting!

ARTMUTT
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Beautiful!!!

saramathewson
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Jill,

I too am a fan of your plein air work. This one is beautiful! When I first looked at it I thought it was a pic! Well done and I like the little tweaks you did.

Sara

dvantuyl
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I loved the first version and love this version as well. Your changes have probably improved some things. It has this wonderful feel.