PDA

View Full Version : My Usual Spot

jmcedeno
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/159973-s_Paintings_002.jpg On my way to San Francisco via CA Highway No.1 along the coast of the Monterrey Peninsula I stopped to take a break from driving to admire the spectacular sight in front of me, a seagull appeared on the scene flying back and forth to the same location watching and catching small fish, judging from the amount of droppings on the rock I thought that it was its favorite spot, I took a photo and days later I completed the 12x16 soft pastel on Wallis sanded paper. I photographed the painting using a Nikon SLR and then scanned the print to convert it to digital. I'll appreciate your critique.
Jose M. Cedeno

Donna T
07-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I can see why you just had to paint this, Jose, and you did a very nice job on it! I wonder if your rocks could be cooled down a little as they move into the distance. To me, they come forward just a bit when I would like to see them be a little less dominant. Maybe if their cracks and shadows weren't so defined they would draw less attention? Just something to think about, you are more familiar with how that part of the world looks than I am! Your sky is lovely and I really like the view of the distant land.

Donna

IMaybe
07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
:clap: A very pretty and peaceful spot! The sea gull is very well done, and belpongs there looking out like he is. My only suggestions is to maybe use different blues thru-out your water to make it more interesting.

Paula Ford
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Very nice indeed! I can just feel the breeze on my face and hear the sound of the waves.

helenh
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Very nice job on the bird, water and the rocks in the foreground. I think that the rocks need to be toned down (lightened, cooled, less detail) as they recede. Maybe a little of the violet from the sky could be reflected in the distant sea. Are those bird droppings under your seagull?

bchlvr
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Very nice...looks like a great spot to take a break!

claydesigner2156
07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Jose,
Been to the same place so I recognize the scene. I agree with the comments about variation of the blues in the water...maybe very pale blue/gray by the horizon. Also A misty grey/green with a touch of soft purple in the cracks might recede those distant rocks...all pale colors as we move out to the horizon.

Love to see more of that area.
Yvonne

jackiesimmonds
07-08-2009, 02:15 AM
I can see why this caught your eye and why you wanted to paint it, it's a lovely story.

BUT Usually, when rocks meet water, there are some reflections down into the water - even in fairly churned up water, there will be "rock colours" to be found in the water. Or cast shadows, depending on the position of the sun.

Your hot-coloured rocks look sort of like they are hovering over the water rather than coming up out of it. It is a strange sensation to look at them. It might be something to do with the fact that the water is LIGHTER where the rocks meet the water, which does not make a lot of sense in physical terms. It is hard to explain with words; do you think you could post your photo? It would be really interesting to see it, perhaps there is the answer to the problem of "hovering rocks" in the photo.

Cooling down the colours and adding touches of greys and blues into the oranges may help, but I am sure that is not the whole answer.

Here is a rock and water pic by Albert Handel. See what I mean about reflections and shadows? Even the rocks in the distance, where there is white water churned up at their bases, reflect in places down into the water, both the light and the dark colours of the rocks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/1805-rocks_and_water.jpg

This is the problem of working from a photo...sometimes the camera does not pick up subtleties like this sufficiently well.
J

claydesigner2156
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Jackie,

A perfect reference. No one does rocks as well as Handell!

Yvonne

jmcedeno
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm very appreciative for your constructive critique.
JACKIE: Thank you for posting Handell's painting he is one of my favorite pastel artist, or I should say "master". I do not have the painting nor the original photo anymore so I can't do any rework. I do have some other slides of the CA coast and probably select one for another painting and this time I'll submit it to the forum while in progress.

Jose Cedeno

jackiesimmonds
07-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Good idea Jose.

Jackie

jmcedeno
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you Donna, I totally agree with your comments I'm tempted to do this painting again incorporating all the suggestions I have received from the Forum but I would have to change the composition a little bit because I gave it to my doctor as a gift, two Christmas ago; I have other pictures of the same area and I may use them, one of them shows a spectacular sun setting.