PDA

View Full Version : Assateague Feeding Time

helenh
07-06-2009, 06:20 PM
This is a painting is of one the wild ponies at Assateague Island National Seashore. The ponies of Assateague are a big tourist attraction in my area. This one is grazing in the marshes. They often come onto the beach also. I'll do another one of those. I did one last year. You gotta love those ponies. 12x16 on Ampersand Pastel Board with a watercolor underpainting. C&C's please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2009/114605-Assateague_Pony_2.jpg

FaeLynn
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Helen! Very nice. I am from the Eastern shore (Delaware) and I used to go out to Assateague every now and again to see the ponies. You really caught the marshy feel and make me miss that area a lot! Good work!

eutherpendragon
07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
This is nice, Helen. I love the reflection of the cow in the water. It makes for a really nice focal point in the painting.

- Ann

bnoonan
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Helen, I've been there!!! Beautiful spot. Since your horse looks a little large - check the width of the neck white again.

Also... keep an eye on that horizon line or else you have a lot of explaining to do with the oceanographers... B

helenh
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh boy. My pony looks like a cow and the marsh in the bay looks like the ocean. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Lynne Vokatis
07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
hi helen. maybe if you defined his mane and tail alittle more...i think his heads turned away and its alittle different angle.but i like how wild and free he looks in there. i would love to go there some day and see them!i love the soft colors and i think you get a nice feel for the place.lynne

kennychaffin
07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice, great reflection.

eutherpendragon
07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Oh boy. My pony looks like a cow and the marsh in the bay looks like the ocean. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Helen,
Sorry about that. I should have read your post a little more carefully. I just 'assumed' it was a cow, but now that I realize it is a pony...it does in fact look like one. So, please disregard my comment about a cow. I think your painting is great as it is!
Ann

helenh
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks folks. I appreciate your input. I do see a few things I need to work on.

kennychaffin
07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Helen,
Sorry about that. I should have read your post a little more carefully. I just 'assumed' it was a cow, but now that I realize it is a pony...it does in fact look like one. So, please disregard my comment about a cow. I think your painting is great as it is!
Ann

Why that's UDDERLY silly. :lol:

(sorry, couldn't resist!).

:D

ARTMUTT
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Love the colors!! I was in Assateague not too long ago and took a lot of photos!! The ponies were so neat to see!! I loved Misty books as a little girl so it was a dream to see them in person. I actually have a similar scene photo as my desktop back ground!!

pastellady
07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Loved the free wild ponies! Our sons loved it there. I have some great pics of the pony swim. We really enjoyed the time we lived in Virginia and were able to travel up and down the eastern shores. How lucky you are to live so close to such beauty.