PDA

View Full Version : pastels in the dark for PeteK

DFGray
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Jimmy Cobbs Kind of Blue at 50
painted in a very dark theatre I had to turn the paper towards the stage for any light at all
I had taken a small light but it was too annoying to use
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2009/1921-july3kindofbluesm.jpg
all from a 8 x 10" pad of canson
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2009/1921-july3jcobbsm.jpg
Jimmy Cobb the Drummer is the sole remaining member of Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' Album which is 50 years old this year, I have drawn Miles lots and Cannonball Adderly, Bill Evens and now Jimmy Cobb at various venues, I missed Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers(which I might have drawn long ago) all from life
the first one is the stage before the lights went out, the second is Jimmy Cobb, always the drummers are tough as they sit at the back behind all those ovals(cymbals and drums)
the liner notes from this 50 year old classic speak of painting and the similarity to Jazz and I felt the connection while pastelling to the music

bnoonan
07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Yup - the last one has the greatest amount of gesture and fun. I think this was hugely successful. Congratulations.

Barb

Donna T
07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
These are so cool, Dan! I can't believe you did so many. The ones on the black paper really make bold statements. Good music and a chance to capture the action with pastels - doesn't get much better!

Donna

Paula Ford
07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Really cool pieces!

mudfish
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
These are great!

DFGray
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Guys ....living thru pastel!
all I could see was values in the small pastel selection I had and I would flip the page back to the musician when he soloed then flip to the next when he soloed

Lynne Vokatis
07-07-2009, 07:42 AM
there are awesome!they rock!!!!

CindyW
07-07-2009, 06:53 PM
These are great!
That bottom yellow guy second from left is very cool.

winecountry
07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
great sketches, and a challenge but you make it work

DFGray
07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks Lynn it was great just working to the music ...when I clap there is a cloud of pastel and on my clothes
Thanks Cindy the piano man always a challenge his back was toward me all night and toward the end of the concert I hadn't drawn him yet so he came in at the end quickly then relaxed thru the last piece of music
Thanks Colleen

Eleonora Manapova
07-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I like second to the right in second row. somebody playing cello? Sometimes, effect of unfinished piece can tell much more than one completely finished. I like it!

DFGray
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Nandia a stand up bass,
these are finished, painting at the concert was enough regardless of the results

PETE K
07-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi Dan, sorry i didn't get here sooner been hosting the LS Challenge and trying to get ready for last nights opening of our Gallery. which i'm the new director of. kind of had my hands full this past week and didn't get to the pastels thread as much as i would have like to. these are great. you sure ment you take your pastels every were. i got the inpresion it was the movies but not thinking of a concert. but still most people take camers to them not pastels. now i sure know everyone around you and i myself know you do carry youe sticks and paper where ever you go. you captured the light and feeling of every one on stage fantasticly the dark background i thing really make them stand out great. i've seen Miles Davis but sure can't remember when. haven't been to a concert in over 15 years and then a good 7 to 10 yrs befor that. If i'm not mistaken the last concerts i went to befor the 15 year one cost $8.50 for the front rows. it sure has been some time. thank you for showing me these great pieces. keep up all this great work.

mang
07-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Great series, I love the energy!