PDA

View Full Version : a totally different version of popham beach

Lynne Vokatis
07-04-2009, 01:08 PM
hi everyone,here is my second attempt at a textured painting. this one is smaller 7 1/2 x10 1/2 on prepared 300lb watercolor paper.it was one later of texture with goldens acrylic ground put on with a plastic palette knife. Just started laying in the colors and trying balance some smooth areas against the textured. c&c's welcome.thhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/173534-IMG_1207.JPG is one is tougher to call. do i still work on it? or leave it kind of in its abstract state. its alittle different than the other one.....:wave: lynne

Donna T
07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
This is so interesting, Lynne! I really like the abstract look.

Donna

nvcricket
07-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I love the texture in this Lynne. I think I would leave this with the abstract nature you have going with it. To make it more "realistic" you would be combating the wonderful texture you have going. Going out of the box, love it!

Carol

Lynne Vokatis
07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
thank you donna and carol. i like the abstract look and feel myself....i think i will leave this one as it is.its pretty cool...if you get the layout and compostion going with the texture....:eek: it almost paints itself!!!;) lynne

Kathryn Wilson
07-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I'd leave this one alone - I love that texture and the abstract quality - it leaves it to the imagination of the viewer what this painting is about.

Lynne Vokatis
07-05-2009, 12:19 AM
thank you kathryn:) you just made me feel like i am very creative today!i haven't done anything really abstract that was any good since college:eek: gasp...i wont say how many years ago.....thank you!!!lynne

Scottyarthur
07-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I like the abstract quality, has a nice flow to it.

Studio-1-F
07-05-2009, 08:22 AM
This is very cool! I especially like the area at the top, where the lines in the texture get all scrunched up between the "sky" and the "horizon". Very nice!

Did you have to wait long for the ground to dry? Was there enough tooth on the ground to hold the pastels? How many layers of pastel here? Fixative in between?

Nice work, Lynne!! :thumbsup:

Jan

Lynne Vokatis
07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
hi thanks scotty.the water and sand at popham has such cool flow.it makes little streams of water in the sand and pools...very cool.
hi jan,thank you.I put one layer of goldens acrylic ground on with a palette knife(plastic).i was very heavyhanded with it...so i waited two days before i put any pastel on it.the pastels stick to it nicely.i tried nupastels,giraults and sennliers on it.the ridges will grab pastel quickly...and the NP's you can wiggle into creveses.also one of those pointy stumps works good too.i have some foam brushes too, but they are kind of big. i like that area too!it helps to kind of preplan with your photo in mind,or plein air area or just your imagination.this is only my second one and the WAVE is my third. i prepared 4 more different sizes and shapes today....so when i have more time they will be ready.I'm going to put on my blog about my progress too,so if you want to you can check it out there too.oh and i have not put fixative on it yet....and i don't think i will.when i frame them theylle be shimmed and spaced away from the glass.
thanks for looking and asking ques....love to share:) lynne

bnoonan
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey Lynne, I'd call it done - but you have to be the one to know what you are looking for. It's so different than pieces I've done so I'm not as good a judge.

The texture is so much more a part of this piece than anything and isn't that the point?

the mystery element and curiosity factor is there and engaging. A good sign in any piece!

Barb