PDA

View Full Version : the Continent slips into the sea

DFGray
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
on the edge, morning on the West Coast
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2009/1921-ontheedgejuly1asm.jpg
22 x 34" on board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2009/1921-july1awrksm.jpg

the afternoon at Florencia Bay
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2009/1921-wreakbchjuly1bsm.jpg
22 x 34" on board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2009/1921-wrkinjuly1bsm.jpg
our 40th and a day at the other shore
did one more but the energy was depleted

saramathewson
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Beautiful Dan!
I love the colors used in the sand. These are huge to do plein air! How long does it take you with such large paintings?

Sara

dvantuyl
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
These are very nice Dan. I have been looking at your work for awhile and studied your sky and the light in your paintings. I just finished reading an article in the Pastel Journal written by Richard McKinley where he talks about using "analogous color fracture with blue, blue-violet and blue-green--a combination that contributes to a luminous effect". I really did not understand this until viewing these paintings of yours. Your sky, the sand, and the water are all luminous. How wonderful! Thank you for posting.

DFGray
07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi Sara I work for about three hours on the larger ones
then a little work in the studio maybe another hour, these pumiced boards can take a lot of pastel layering, if pastel wasn't so expensive I would work longer
Thanks Donna I seem to always be short on blues during summer, so tone a few of my boards blue to give me a chance with that cloudless blue sky, that big blue summer sky is boring but intense
we're off to this Islands big city today, I'll get a painting in, then a jazz concert(Jimmy Cobbs 'Kind of Blue at 50') which I hope to work at, then that late night drive home...I am living my life through pastels!

bnoonan
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hurrah for the life of the artist who can roam the island in sunshine!

Dan, I have to say that this particular piece was more eye catching than most as I was truly drawn into the sand and the approach to the horizon. Your colors are magnificent. For me... I like the high horizon line and the beach colors.

Here's to the sunshine in our part of the world and more nice days at the beach ahead!

barb

DFGray
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Barb while working on the first one a Black Bear and two cubs crossed the stream down the beach later saw Whales and Dolfin

bnoonan
07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Yup - that's nature in it's finest... but beware of the bears... - especially with cubs. Killer whales?

Savour the sunshine my friend... it's just fantastic!

crazywoman53
07-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I am amazed at the composition you came up with based on what was there. Plus the colors are very nice. Enjoy seeing them alot!

Donna T
07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Beautiful work, Dan! Enjoy that concert tonight (will you have your sketchbook out?)

Donna

DFGray
07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks Donna the lighting at this theatre is poor, but I will try to draw

Lynne Vokatis
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
it sounds like you are having a wonderfull time! I love your paintings! and this one is so beautifull. I always like to see what you have done...and it amazes me too ....what you "see".just beautifull.lynne

Colorix
07-03-2009, 03:32 PM
That meandering 'river' that leads us through the sand is just perfect! And just look at the amount of detail in the sand! I can almost hear a seagull (or several) screeching. Is that the blue ground that is visible in the foreground? Love the energy of this the first one.

The second is very fine, but the first 'speaks' to me.

Charlie

Kathryn Wilson
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
For a moment there, I was expecting to see you and your easel dropping off the continental shelf!!

Excellent color in the sky and Donna's explanation of broken color really makes this a great lesson on skies!

jmp
07-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Looks very much like the Strait of Juan de Fuca (sp) along the northern coast of Washington State - really like it alot

birdhs
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM
WOW! The 'lines in the sand' draw my eye out to sea, more so in the 'morning ' piece. In the 'afternoon' piece, my attention slides down from the trees both by the angle of the beach as well as the 'lines' to the sea again, almost as if maybe you intended it .... :D

The composition on both of these is among the best I've ever seen on a beach scene, quite an accomplishment for such a relatively flat area. You are still on my "list" of favorite artists, and glad to see more of your work.:thumbsup:

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eyes.:rolleyes:

IMaybe
07-03-2009, 10:32 PM
:wave: Gosh, you really have a great feel For beaches, wide open spaces and wonderful huge bleu skies!!!! So much light, and air---your stokes are full of confidence, and the color is spot on. thanks for the inspirations!

PETE K
07-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Dan, very nice i like you set up you sure could get around with it.

DFGray
07-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks "Crazywoman"
Thanks Lynn in some ways it's what I feel about the scene which then
becomes what I see, this is a magical shore long ago it was just hippy squatters here and it was more than the beach ...but now a park

Thanks Charlie a few gulls, Osprey and Caspian Terns about but those pounding waves were the soundtrack, that would be the ground colour a light blue/gray

Hi Kathryn I can feel the land mass slipping here, I have a collector that measures the movement of our Juan de Fuca plate so it was on my mind

Hi JMP We have spent most of our lives on this coast and have had great times on the US coast, but it becomes more difficult to cross that border so enjoying this Island

Thanks Birdhs we had lunch on the main beach but too many people so hiked into these beaches where there are a lot of great compositions and after hauling these large boards etc down I just want to get painting

Thanks Imaybe "light and air" great compliment!

Hi Pete I am living my life through pastel!! I always have my painting kit with me wherever I go and those around me now expect me to paint where ever I am, it's great
last night pasteling in the dark theatre... I haven't looked at the result

PETE K
07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Dan, thats something i would like to see.