PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountain Lake (little study)

Paula Ford
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Last month my brother and I went up to visit the Blue Mountain Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY. This is from one of the photos I took. It's just a little study, 8"x10" on Uart 400 grit. Toned on medium royal blue. C&C always welcome.

Just a couple of little tweeks to go. So if you can see anything that needs fixing, let me know.
:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/1978-Blue_Mtn_Lake-sm.JPG

GaryNorthants
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Lovely peaceful scene, I like it.
Gary

birdhs
07-01-2009, 09:02 PM
What a wonderful composition. Relaxing. A great place to take that little boat ....

I have been to the Blue Lake Museum and the thing I remember the clearest was the incredible beauty of the canoes and little steam boats. And the beauty of the surroundings.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eyes.

kennychaffin
07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Very nice. Maybe add a small cloud in the sky?

Paula Ford
07-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Thank you Gary & birdhs!

The colors are off because I took the photo in my studio tonight. It is actually more colorful.

claydesigner2156
07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Except for the tree trunks on the right, it almost has a semi-abstract feel...a simple peaceful scene. Lovely.
Yvonne

The happiest people don't always have everything. They just make the most of everything they have.

DAK723
07-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Beautiful!

Don

Paula Ford
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks Yvonne...Don!

This is what I do when none of my photographs thrill me and I'm bored. I start fooling around with little simple scenes just to keep me painting.

This is definately not meant to be anything but a study, or a sketch.

David Patterson
07-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Very beautiful Paula!

PETE K
07-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Paula, i like this, looks nice, if you go bigger and if it were me i would lighten the mountian a little and leave out a little of the sky. and it would be perfict. now that if it were me. it still looks very good.

Donna T
07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
This is the view I want from my retirement cabin! I like the strong light slanting in from the left, Paula, and the way it lights up the pines.

I hope you don't mind me asking a question here because it's been something I've been wondering about and your painting is a good example: Last winter I noticed that sunlight bounced off of snow and reflected the sky color on the undersides of pine branches, even those in the shade. This was really apparent on the lower branches. Since I don't live near water I wonder if the same thing happens on a lake? Do the colors of the water reflect up onto the undersides of the branches (probably not something a photo catches if it happens at all)? If that happens it might be a good opportunity to harmonize the lake colors with the trees. If it doesn't happen it might look weird!

Donna

mudfish
07-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Another good question on how reflected light behaves. This piece re-ignites in me my question from my End of the Rainbow posting on how and why reflections are determined. Although the water is still, no reflections here so I assume none in the photo, which was the case in my photo. Where are our artistic physicists LOL?

Merethe T
07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Beautiful, Paula - I'm so taken by the mountains, they look gorgeous! I love the peaceful mood, I'd love that view from my window!
Actually, the upper part of the painting is what captures my interest, and if I cover the lowest part(the dark water) the sense of peace and ease is even stronger....

annette71
07-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Love it, Paula...makes me want to be there... ;)

Annette

Mary Brigid
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Paula this is a lovely study. I would love to see you fly and take it futher.
Mary Brigid

DAK723
07-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Another good question on how reflected light behaves. This piece re-ignites in me my question from my End of the Rainbow posting on how and why reflections are determined. Although the water is still, no reflections here so I assume none in the photo, which was the case in my photo. Where are our artistic physicists LOL?
I hope nobody minds my jumping in here! I think the best way to determine reflections in water is by observation rather than by some formula. Some folks generalize that reflections are always a bit darker than the actual objects. Some take it a bit further by saying that light and mid value objects reflect darker, but very dark objects reflect lighter. But the angle of the light matters. I took some photos recently that were somewhat into the sun and the reflections in the water are almost all lighter. Perhaps the most important factor is what you want to say in your painting - because as the artist, you can manipulate the values to direct the viewers eye and to create areas of emphasis.

In my experience, completely still water always creates a mirror-like reflection, but just the slightest movement of the water will cause the water to reflect nothing but sky, as it does in this painting.

Don

Paula Ford
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you David!

Thank you Pete! I totally agree with you...great suggestions!

Donna, Thank you! I can't answer your questions...sorry, but I just don't know.

mudfish, the water isn't still and that is why there are no reflections. It's just far enough in the distance that that much detail just isn't needed. Also, the photo looks a bit fuzzy so it doesn't show a lot. This is just a little study...not much detail was intended. Was only looking for good composition and good choice of colors. Which reminds me, I overworked the trees on the right and obliderated my darks...oh well.

Thank you Merethe! The mountains are definately the star of this piece.

Thank you Annette!

Thank you Mary! I do love the photo and think it will be an excellent larger painting after incorporating Pete's suggestions.