PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michelangelo chat-July '09-Pop in!

trafford
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Guess I'll start this. Hope all is well with everyone, and you are all planning great things for the summer...that is, somewhere else other than New England, USA. We have had raw rainy weather for most of June and today the first of July isn't much better. I'm reading travel books and watching movies that take place in Italy, trying to cheer myself up. Ah, Tuscany!

Please stop by and tell us what you have been up to. Are you going on vacation, or painting at home this summer? Reading something wonderful? If you are painting something warm and sunny, please post it, for my sake.

Hope to hear from you...Janet :heart:

artbyjune
07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/106623-calicochairclose3a6k.jpg

Here's a 'sunny' image I did yesterday..of a calico cat (from a photo in RIL). Its a watercolour study, 6 by 8 ins., for a larger painting. I posted it on my blog.

Funnily enough...for UK...we are having an 'official' heat-wave. I am staying indoors as its too hot to go out. Imagine that!! It won't last. We have short heat-waves here.:D

P.S. I wonder if we should move the cafe over to the projects area...more people visit there and may want to chat!;)

trafford
07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the cheer up painting...and I love cats. One more dreary day here and then we are supposed to see that yellow thingy in the sky this weekend. :clap:

You are probably right about moving the Cafe. Even though we are incredibly interesting :lol: it would be nice to hear from a few other people.

Working on paint-along today, and then Kate. :heart:

artbyjune
07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
OK I will move this today.

ryster007
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone

My work committments are finally slacking off and I'm finally getting back to posting and hopefully painting!

Ryan

trafford
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey, Ryan! There you are. Glad to have you back.

eyepaint
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone,

Happy sunny cat sunning him/herself there :)

I stumbled across Azulparsnip's painting in egg tempura in a project thread in May. She pointed me to June's recipe for egg tempura and I'm excited to try it out this weekend!! I would try it today but I must work on another project first, one that I keep avoiding....

Here are two little paintings I did yesterday in diluted fluid acrylics and ink on 4x6" wc paper.

Dewi from the AMAE forum posted photos of a poppy plant and I loved the shapes!

Cheers,

trafford
07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi, eyepaint. Love your poppies. They are an interesting shape.

I see some sun this morning :) Good for all the people who will be barbecuing today. My son is going to a party, so I guess it will be a hamburger and a mini potato salad for me tonight and watching fireworks on TV.

For all that celebrate the Fourth of July. Have a good time.

eyepaint
07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Happy 4th of July to those who celebrate!

Here's my first attempt at egg tempura:

And here's my first-ever sock monkey! Simon!

Cheers,

artbyjune
07-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Love the sock monkey. How do you like egg tempera EP? Its addictive once you get going with it. I really like the flower you did with it. Hope to see more.

I am heading over to the WDE now.

artbyjune
07-06-2009, 06:33 AM
I got caught in a thunderstorm this morning when out with the dog for his morning walk. We had to stand in a doorway til it eased up a bit then run home.

I was going to go into town and browse around the art gallery ( a new Victorian art section has been opened there)..... but I have now decided to wait till tomorrow or later in the week. Someone was killed in the lightning storms last week..phew. There's lightning on just now. Safer indoors.

azulparsnip
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi all, my EP you are a busy bee painting AND sewing

June - so you have thunderstorms there, eh. We have'em here but where I grew up (southern Calif) never saw one.

We are working steadily on the trailer. I figured out that I have to do stuff to each surface 6 times.....wash (with TSP), rinse, 2 coats of sealant/primer, 2 coats of color............phew!

Janet - well you will have a calm 4th....I always hide inside because every time I go out when they are lighting fireworks the fireworks start coming straight for me......no joke :eek:

ryster007
07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2009/83841-Peter.JPG
Peter
oil on canvas
30x40cm

My first posted painting in what seems like forever!:clap:

Its great to back painting again, I've really missed it while I've been working away from home:(

Crazy work commitments are now over and I'm looking forward to another year of art school in September too

C&C welcome

Ryan

eyepaint
07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi June,

It was fun. Can't figure out if it's the tempura or the slippery/non absorbant poster paper that makes it look like it was painted on Yupo. There are lots of bubbles which might be from leftover egg white and the mixing by brush introducing air pockets. And when I paint with yellow I'm not convinced I see yellow paint ... I might just be painting with yellow egg yolk! I'm trying again, this time mixing egg yolk with one or two drops of liquid acrylic, and doing it again on poster paper. It's drying as I type this so I'll post a photo later.

Azul - thanks :) I looked today for new wool socks with red heels to make a red-mouthed monkey but had no luck.

Ryan - love the non-traditional head angle pose for the portrait.

Cheers,

artbyjune
07-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Hi Ryan, glad to see you back with more time to paint. I love that portrait of Peter. ..very expressive eyes.

EP, it takes a bit of experimenting to see what suits you when using egg yolk. Try mixing it with dry pigment for a less 'slippery' feel pehaps. If you don't have dry pigments, make do with some soft pastel scrapings/dust!

artbyjune
07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Here's a link to a demo of egg tempera grassa technique...which is using linseed oil in the egg yolk mix.

http://www.artinstructionblog.com/the-method-and-formulas-of-the-mische-technique-by-brigid-marlin

I just joined up because it looks like they have a lot of interesting teaching demos. When I will get around to trying things out...goodness knows! Maybe some of you know of this site already?:thumbsup:

trafford
07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
A nice portrait of Peter, Ryan. Glad you are back in the art world.

Love the sock monkey, eyepaint and the beginnings of trying egg tempera. I should get on the band wagon and try one.

June, the grassa technique turns out beautiful work, but it looks like a life's commitment, with a lot of patience thrown in. Would be great to try, though. You probably would be hooked forever.

The casein, gouche, egg tempera forum, doesn't have too many tempera painters, but I check in there once in a while because I like gouche also.

Book marked Brigid Marlin's site...maybe someday. :heart:

artbyjune
07-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Janet, her technique is VERY involved. OOps dinner ready...I have to go...I will be back later.
Maybe it would be an idea to do a teeny one first to see if you liked it, e.g., 6 by 8 ins or smaller.

I finally made it into the art gallery to look at the Andy Warhol exhibition and also the display of Victorian art in the new Victorian room. There were a few pre-Raphaelite works but not many. 'The vision' by Ary Schaffer...I'd never heard of this artist.

I particularly liked a tiny oil painting by Edward Bird called 'The way to get married'. The white highlights really shone in his work. Shows you can do figures tiny in oils and they look good. Most oil paintings are huge, I find. I never heard of this painter either.

It was all quite interactive actually. If I'd had more time, I'd have had a good dig into all the dress-up stuff and art equipment and videos on display. Maybe I'll go in again on Monday...its about 20 mins walk from my flat. I have no excuse...:D

ryster007
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
hi June

I caught a really good two-part documentary on the pre-Raphaelites on BBC not sure if they've put it online?

Some great paintings there

Ryan

ryster007
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2009/83841-Irn_Bru.JPG

Irn Bru
8x8 inches
Acrylic on canvas

Another small still life.

I liked the strong complementary colours of this and thought it would make a good challenge to paint.

Ryan

artbyjune
07-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi Ryan, I looked on iplayer for the Pre-raphaelite programme but couldn't find it listed unfortunately.

I like that unusual angle for the irn bru can.

trafford
07-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Ryan, liked the crushed can and the angle, as June said. A few together would be interesting too.

Had to look up Irn Bru. At first I thought it was a lethal beer, but I see it's harmless, even though it makes a neat little painting. :cool:

azulparsnip
07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Ryan - like that can Great job on the lid area.

July is winding up. I spent the last two days painting henna designs on the plywood floor in our trailer.......and finished just the corner in the kitchen that will be under the table!!!! I'm learning alot about floor design and how to approach the rest of the trailer.........(not so small mostly)
All that intensity has left me feeling somewhat disoriented. Maybe it was breathing all that fumes, more likely.

Woah - that egg tempera artist is quite accomplished, grinding the pigments and all!!!

trafford
07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Robin,

There is a link to a how-to video by MonaDC over in the casein, gouche..etc forum that's pretty good, but doesn't go far enough.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568420

Instead of researching all the time I should try it out :lol:

artbyjune
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2009/106623-tobywalk1a6k.jpg

This is my yorkie dog, Toby, running to me in the park...I took the photo on Monday.

I had to go for Glaucoma screening at the hospital yesterday and pleased to say my eyes are healthy. No sign of any problems. Its a worry, especially for a visual artist!

Maybe we could run a project series on the various techniques/media available sometime. Chalk drawings of old masters....egg tempera....watercolour and so forth.:thumbsup:

eyepaint
07-22-2009, 12:41 AM
June - hmm dry pigment might be just the ticket. Studied that demo of the tempura painting - wowee!!! Something to aim for :) Love the puppy!!

Trafford - thank yo u:)

Ryan - lovely use of a crumpled can

Here's my most recent egg tempura pieces, done for last weekend's WDE:

I've since experimented putting plaster of paris on top and then painting with acrylic - eek! Most of the plaster crumbled off. I wonder if it was the egg or the plaster or the acrylic or the combo? More experiment needed :)

Cheers,

trafford
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
June, love Toby...shall we paint him....you know how we are?

EP, You are really going ahead with egg tempera but please explain the plaster of paris, my mind's gone blank.

An artist I like who always used egg tempera was Ben Shahn. Sort of poster type, political paintings in beautiful colors. :heart:

eyepaint
07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Plaster of Paris - purchased for another project, but I thought I'd try it for texture on my pieces. Didn't work as-is. Might need to mix it with gesso?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaster

Cheers,

artbyjune
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
OPs go well over plaster of paris. Acrylics don't mix with egg tempera...I read that somewhere. The plastic medium and the egg medium don't adhere due to chemical incompatibility...don't ask me the details. Maybe more info on a site somewhere if you search. Also acrylic gesso is not much use for undercoat for egg tempera either. Old fashioned traditional glue and whitening is recommended...for stickability!!

Toby is my cutie-pie. Please paint him if you wish. If the RIL upload is working, I'll put him in the library.

eyepaint
07-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Acrylics don't appear to go well over plaster of paris but the OPs seemed to skim the "mountaintops" of plaster fine :)

I've started a little sketch painting of Toby ... will post him soon :)

eyepaint
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
The experiment continues ... added oil pastel, and 3d paint to the pieces:

Next I'll try dry pigment from soft pastels with egg tempura... :)

Cheers,

azulparsnip
07-23-2009, 07:36 AM
June - thanks for the link. I like her delivery & enthusaisim :) I liked what she said about the 3 qualities of tempera .
unique qualities -
1 luminiosity, the ability to do fine transluent glasing and scumbling

2 fast drying time....

3 textural effects.

Also am hearing you saying that gesso does not facilitate the use of egg tempera......I was fixin' to try that one but will forego that mistake - thanks - I noticed that Mona Dianne Conner suggested that if you did not use the powder pigments that you should at least get the titanium white powder. Can you tell I liked that video.? :D What would you use the traditional glue for?

You are sooo fortunate to have such resourses as a art museum. That is one of the perks of city life.

That Toby is a sweetie pie. As they say here in the states - a REAL chick magnet.:angel:

Janet - looked over the egg tempera + linseed oil again....might be fun to experiment with - seeing that the mix last almost a year!!!!! Wonder what it would behave like using the tube watercolors

EP - loving you experiments. Did you shave the oil Pastels into the eggtempera mix??? thanks for sharing all this - it is inspirational, very:thumbsup:

trafford
07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
OK...here is yet another demo. He uses tube water colors and gives you step by step illustrations:

http://www.dweezeljazzart.com/DJBlog/2009/04/how-to-paint-with-egg-tempera-part-i/

Guess you just have to play around with everything as EP is doing. :heart:

eyepaint
07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Robin - thanks - no shaving, just rubbing the OP on top of the plaster of paris and it really only hit the "mountaintops" of the plaster :)

azulparsnip
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
and aside - Here's my reduction cut for an exchange in printmaking - topic - wild life

trafford
07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
This is good Azul and I guess, a lot of work. How do you get that grainy texture in the background?

I read about the exchanges in printmaking and it must be great to have all those wonderful prints. :heart:

eyepaint
07-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Fantastic work, Robin! :)

eyepaint
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Heeeeere's Toby! 5x7" wc paper, liquid acrylics and ink.

Cheers,

artbyjune
07-25-2009, 02:43 AM
WOWEE!! I love that elephant print! Great colours. Very good work Robin.

ZOWEE!! Eyepaint how cute is that painting of Toby? I love it. Looks just like his character...and I do like this loose watery technique.

azulparsnip
07-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Janet - thanks, ahhh,, teehee, that "grainy" texture in the background is the ink misbehaving......seasoned printmakers don't do that , I don't think but I kinda like the personality it adds and I don't really know how to avoid it yet.. It takes time to dry between layers.
Haven't checked out the last link you posted yet. But I don't think I'll mess with the linseedoil and varnish mixture because of my brushes are too new . I couldn't bear subjecting them to that yet.

EP - the first of toby is my favorite, with the body language

June - thanks