PDA

View Full Version : Background tips needed

svrart
08-27-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I am quite happy with the different objects in my painting, but my background sucks. They look empty - to be more precise. I would like to have pointers, tips etc. on what to do for and with them.

Thanks,
Sridhar

JustjoGA
08-27-2002, 09:43 AM
White bunny in a snowstorm?

henrik
08-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Wow, difficult to answer. Why not post some samples of your work - I mean the answers would be rather different depending on if you are doing landscapes, portraits, still life, etc. and then also depending on style, etc. etc.

svrart
08-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Here is a painting that i did a few months ago with almost no background. What would be a good background approach for this?

http://www.svrart.com/painting/images/bud_abstract.jpg

Thanks
Sridhar

puzzlinon
08-30-2002, 10:42 PM
One simple step from that painting to one that's richer might be to paint the dark mostly-black backround out of the pigments you're using for the foreground. Just take the primaries you're using, mix them to make black It won't be perfect, sometimes there will hints of the various colors and sometimes there will be hints of the whole rainbow, but you can keep them all very very dark.

Just the painting you'll do to accomplish that will make the background more than just a flat neutral sheet; it will have some texture physically and chromatically, without at all changing the structure of the painting. Use it sometimes to backpaint the objects, other times lay it down first and paint the edges over it. Same 'summary' image, far more lively visual effects, and the work, as you do it, will open up a lot of possibilities in the moment. MIght be worth a try.

svrart
09-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks puzzlinon,

I will be trying this out very soon. Sounds promising and interesting. I especially like the open endedness as it can lead to places.

Thanks again,
Sridhar