PDA

View Full Version : July 2009 Oil Pastel Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

wildart129
07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the July OP Challenge

Here are three pictures for you to choose from, just make sure you have plenty of red and green ops. Paint any of these or all of them if you like and post them in here for everyone to see. I hope you have as much fun painting these pictures as I did taking them.

The mushrooms were on a dead tree trunk, and I snapped this picture during a hike. The dam is on a stretch of Nolin River just below my house. I've walked across that dam countless times since I was a kid. The apples were going to be part of a still life painting that I never got around to, and this is one of the photos I took.

Enjoy.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/101334-Monthly_challenge_AUG2_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/101334-Monthly_challenge_AUG2_kk.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/101334-Monthly_challenge_AUG2_2_copy.jpg

oldrockchick
07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Elizabeth and thanks for swapping months with me. I already have my images sorted for August though now. I might change them after I get more pics whilst away.

I'm not taking OPS on holiday... expecting more heat....:lol: :lol: :lol: how silly am I ? I only get heat when I'm stuck at home - it will probably just rain rain rain. I'm only taking CPs and a wc pan set for easy of carriage. Trying to keep Senns usuable on a hot beach would be a nightmare.

I will print off some refs though and make a start before I go and finsih on my return.

that fungus is REALLY interesting, and I love the waterfall. Apples hmmm... I seem to be draing a lot of fruit and veg latley. It must be the season for it.

Pat Isaac
07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for hosting this month Elizabeth....love those apples.

Pat

wildart129
07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
No problem Lin, I hope the move went well. I know what you mean by senns on the beach, they can be a pain when you're doing plain air in hot weather.

I've started painting on the river picture today and hope to have it posted in the next couple of days. Have fun painting everyone.:)

eyepaint
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM
".... you need lots of red and yellow OPs..."

What about BLUE?? :) Hee hee :)

Love the ruffled fungus!

Scarefishcrow
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Elizabeth, thank for no blue flow...I.mean hosting and provid lovely RI's with such lovely, lively, not blue colors!

EP...You are incorrigable! You have a touch of :evil: in you!!

Nice to see you around, though!

Bill

:angel: :angel: :) :) :heart: :heart: :angel: :angel:

Pat Isaac
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I'll take the red, but the yellow is a problem...

Pat

lovin art
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Elizabeth, thanks for Hosting, put me down for the apples as i have abit of thing for fruit at the moment:wink2: This will be fun..

Sandra.

GOSH
07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300763_.JPG

Hooray!
I love the mushrooms! I've just done these on Academie acid-free, dark grey background, sketch paper 12x9in. Senneliers numbers 1, 13, 210, 17, 232, 242, 236, 200, 204, 98, 231, 202, 213, 72. I will still be working on it some more but I like them as it is now. Please feel free to suggest improvements!
:wave:

halthepainter
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Gosh that's beautifully done.

GOSH
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll take the red, but the yellow is a problem...

Pat

I think the reds are what I have problem with, especialy painting fruit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300764_.JPG
This time I think I am done with the mushrooms.

lovin art
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Very Nice painting Gosh, looks just like them.

Sandra..

GOSH
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
:o Ok I swear, last one ;) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300771_.JPG

wildart129
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
GOSH, that was super quick. Nicely done on both the colors and textures.:clap:

oldrockchick
07-01-2009, 07:18 PM
WOW ! GOSH wins prize for speed this month :clap:

That's really good too! I love the way you handled the colours and the tree bark. The whole thing just has such a great aesthetic to it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow, good for you. that was fast. I do like the last one best, nice color.

Pat

eyepaint
07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Gosh, GOSH, great work and so quick, too! Love the final version of your shrooms!

GOSH
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Thank you Wildheart and ORC. I think now looking closer at the reference picture that I need to adjust a few things. The mushrooms are like cups it seems, and I made them into petals instead.
Too bad I ran out of batteries: I just finished the apples. Best fruits I've done yet.

GOSH
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow, good for you. that was fast. I do like the last one best, nice color.

Pat

:smug: Thank you Pat. I tried to go coral (like italian coral, the good stuff) but I think the Neopastels would work better to capture the brightness and have a closer tone than what I can manage today.
So after I did the mushrooms, I had the munchies and did the apples. I guess I need to cool off by the river, heh? :wink2:

Scarefishcrow
07-01-2009, 09:36 PM
GOSH, I have a suggestion for improvement!

Sign my name on them!!!!!

Bill:clap:

GOSH
07-01-2009, 09:44 PM
GOSH, I have a suggestion for improvement!

Sign my name on them!!!!!

Nice try but no tomato!:evil:

Instead, here are the absolutely completed apples and the dam/river scene wip:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300777_.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300774_.JPG

bchlvr
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Gosh...you are fast this month. All of your paintings are lovely. The mold on the tree has fantastic color, the apples have great shine...will be watching for the completion of the water scene...off to a great start!

GOSH
07-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Gosh, GOSH, great work and so quick, too! Love the final version of your shrooms!

Thanks eyepaint! I'm on a roll right now. Classical music and Astor Piazzolla get my blood flowing.

GOSH
07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Gosh...you are fast this month. All of your paintings are lovely. The mold on the tree has fantastic color, the apples have great shine...will be watching for the completion of the water scene...off to a great start!

Thanks bchlvr! I'm surprised at myself today.

wildart129
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
GOSH, you're leaving us in the dust. Your apples are perfect; the stems really jump out. Your river scene is coming along nicely too. I love the red color variations in your apples. What senn reds are you using?:)

GOSH
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
GOSH, you're leaving us in the dust. Your apples are perfect; the stems really jump out. Your river scene is coming along nicely too. I love the red color variations in your apples. What senn reds are you using?:)

For the apples I used Senns 232, 29, 19, 1, 23, 200, 202, 38, 31, 27, 30, 98, 13, 204. I think that is all but I may have missed one or two. Mead book of colors 12x9 light grey background. Cheapo paper and I do this today. :lol:

Last challenge, same paper and bunches of greens and black:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2009/143278-S7300784_.JPG

lovin art
07-02-2009, 02:36 AM
hay Gosh what the heck are you on speed:lol: nice works

Sandra..

GOSH
07-02-2009, 03:41 AM
hay Gosh what the heck are you on speed:lol: nice works

Sandra..

Thank you Sandra. It's not speed, it's mushrooms and apples and my own little world in the enchanted forest :D ...and to tell you the truth, the previous two or three challenges have been hard for me. It seems the only one I had true difficulty with was the river dam this time. I think I did too much with it instead of keeping more fluid. It looks sharper in real life, though. Perhaps I will take it up again later in the month, after finishing the cat and the car.

Abetooo
07-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi all ,
There is no more OP paper to draw with , but i will buy soon :lol:
Oh my God thats so amazing GOSH I really like the apple and river seen:thumbsup: :heart:

jubeads
07-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie, but I'm all for apples! Before I start, tell me pastel pros.. will watercolour paper do?

Oil Pastels are dandy but I've rarely used my set!

PiscesWoman
07-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie, but I'm all for apples! Before I start, tell me pastel pros.. will watercolour paper do?

jubeads - There is great debate on whether to use primed or unprimed paper because you are actually dealing with a type of oil medium. So for archival purposes a lot of oil pastellists prefer primed supports. However, if you are just doing the picture for the pleasure of doing a picture, and not worried about if it will last 10, 50 or 100 years, then watercolour paper should be fine. Each type of paper will have its own pros & cons, which you will either like - or not! Have fun finding out.:)

GOSH - what can I say, everyone has said it already. Excellent work - and so speedy. Wish I could get into 'the zone'. I have stacks of work piling up but I am so unfocussed lately.

Pat Isaac
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, Gosh. You are a speed demon...love those apples.
Watercolor paper is fine to use and karen has given you some good advice about the paper.

Pat

oldrockchick
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Well done GOSH qualitty and speed. Those apples look juicy enough to eat that water - sheesh the way I feel today I want to jump into it!

What will you do when you ahev done all the refs though with still a whole month to go?

halthepainter
07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Fantastic Gosh. I especially love the apples.

wildart129
07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
GOSH, your river scene is beautiful, the colors are wonderful.

Welcome Julia.:wave: Karen is spot on about the watercolor paper. I use watercolor paper for studies and sketches. It's good to use if you're not worried about archival qualities. What brand of Op's do you have?:)

GOSH
07-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Abetoo, Oldrockchick, Halthepainter, Wildheart, PiscesWoman and Pat:
Thank you all :)
Jubeads: Hello

Pat, the apples are surely the best of the three. All paintings have been done using only my fingers for blending, no tools.
Now I can sit back, relax, and see what everybody else has to show.

GOSH
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
ORC: So now I have the whole month of July to finish the car and the kitty cat of the previous month. :D

oldrockchick
07-02-2009, 04:34 PM
ORC: So now I have the whole month of July to finish the car and the kitty cat of the previous month. :D

:thumbsup:Good thinking :D

oldrockchick
07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I've made a start......

I have to pack for my holidays tomorrow so I'll see how much I get done.

This is on an acrylic prepared cardboard panel. Pre-primed for oils.
A little bigger than A4 - it just doesn't quite fit the scanner hence some shadowing.

I drew it out with ink and then used Derwent Ink, Grqaphitint and Aqua pencils as reqd just to lay down a 'key' so I can see what's what and make an underdrawing.

Will apply OPs next.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2009/179312-OP_July_waterfall_WIP_1.jpg

GOSH
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I've made a start......

I have to pack for my holidays tomorrow so I'll see how much I get done.

This is on an acrylic prepared cardboard panel. Pre-primed for oils.
A little bigger than A4 - it just doesn't quite fit the scanner hence some shadowing.

I drew it out with ink and then used Derwent Ink, Grqaphitint and Aqua pencils as reqd just to lay down a 'key' so I can see what's what and make an underdrawing.

Will apply OPs next.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2009/179312-OP_July_waterfall_WIP_1.jpg

ORC, you certainly picked a different angle and color scheme. Your walls are looking very good.

Scarefishcrow
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Oil Pastel Channel and forums. Fear not, we run the gamut from utter novice to skilled professional and all are welcomed and you won't find a better bunch of folks. Below is some info to help orient you to what is where and links to things that will help you find answers to many of the common questions folks have. Glad to have you join us!

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
GOSH, what's gotten into you???? Good thing this isn't a "union" forum or you'd be in a "heap 'o trouble" for making the rest of us look sluggish!

Great jobs on them. I like your logic. Only I put off the new challenges till I finish the old ones. Let's see, I'm still working on the ones from the month I hosted!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Glad you are feeling better from the flu! (well, you know what I mean).

Bill:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

GOSH
07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
GOSH, what's gotten into you???? Good thing this isn't a "union" forum or you'd be in a "heap 'o trouble" for making the rest of us look sluggish!

Great jobs on them. I like your logic. Only I put off the new challenges till I finish the old ones. Let's see, I'm still working on the ones from the month I hosted!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Glad you are feeling better from the flu! (well, you know what I mean).

Bill:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

I recovered from dze flu and was really looking forward to the new July challenge :D
How about your construction zone, how is that going?

jubeads
07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
GOSH, your river scene is beautiful, the colors are wonderful.

Welcome Julia.:wave: Karen is spot on about the watercolor paper. I use watercolor paper for studies and sketches. It's good to use if you're not worried about archival qualities. What brand of Op's do you have?:)

Thanks everyone!

I have a brand called mont marte and it's all you can really find here... in every art product. I'll have to look around for some more art stores.

Although.. the haven't done too bad with reds - about 5 types in a pack of 24 :lol:

I'm no pastels professional and I've started because of how close to drawing it is (something I'm most comfortable with) while giving you all those beautiful colours and the ability to blend!!

and.. gosh, GOSH is quick! Fantastic!

GOSH
07-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone!

I have a brand called mont marte and it's all you can really find here... in every art product. I'll have to look around for some more art stores.

Although.. the haven't done too bad with reds - about 5 types in a pack of 24 :lol:

I'm no pastels professional and I've started because of how close to drawing it is (something I'm most comfortable with) while giving you all those beautiful colours and the ability to blend!!

and.. gosh, GOSH is quick! Fantastic!

:D This month compensates how slow I am in all the rest.
Enchanted forest WIP, Take 2: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2009/143278-S7300799_.JPG

wildart129
07-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice start Lin, I love the detail in the rocks and the color scheme you have put down so far.

GOSH, nice start to the second installment. I already like the colors and reflections in the water.

Hope to work on my own today and have it posted tomorrow.:)

paul444
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Great paintings GOSH, your certainly in the groove this month.

Great start Lin, looking forward to seeing it progress.

lovin art
07-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi Everyone, Gosh & ORC, your enchanted forrest's are coming along nicely,
well i had fun getting these apples down im done with this i think, c&cs most welcome...

Sandra.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/186639-DSCN3097.JPG

GOSH
07-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Nice one, Sandra! The right hand side apple is my favorite. Nicely done. The only little nitpick for me would be to add the shadow of the little stalk to both apples to give both apples that sense of depth since they stick out.
Your apples are luminous. :thumbsup:

halthepainter
07-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Absolutely, awsome apples Sandra.

Oh yeah, what Gosh says.

robertsloan2
07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow! Elizabeth, thank you for hosting and providing such gorgeous references. I love the shelf fungi. Got to do something cool with the shelf fungi. I think I'll be painting like a madman all week between yours and the WDE this time. The apples are interesting from that angle, I like the highlights. And that rushing water scene is irresistible.

GOSH wow, Gosh! I love how you did the shelf fungi. You captured a lot of depth and a nice contrast between soft and hard edges.

Sandra, your apples are super. I love realism and you've captured every nuance of those gorgeous apples. This is going to be an incredible month just from what's posted already!

halthepainter
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I need to finish a couple of paintings for an art show this week then I hope to get started on the broken dam and the fungi. I hope to try something a little different with them.

Scarefishcrow
07-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Ooops. I'm losing it!
:o :o

Had to edit this since I realized I had already Welcomed you, Julia, and was about to repeat myself!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/108067-message38.gif

Sandra you did a great job on the apples!
Bill
:wave: :thumbsup: :wave:

eyepaint
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey guys,

I've started working on the apples.

7x10" wc paper coated with a mix of acrylic gesso plus lava texture gel.

closeup of texture

Here's where I am so far. I wonder how the Senns will handle when it's 31C in here!? (unusually hot here...)

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
07-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Great start on the apples, EP!

Why aren't they Blue?:p

Bill

:clap: :clap:

eyepaint
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Great start on the apples, EP!

Why aren't they Blue?:p

Bill

:clap: :clap:

They're not cold, Bill! :)

jubeads
07-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Sandra I love the speckles on the apples!!

robertsloan2
07-04-2009, 10:31 PM
EP, your apples are coming out so great! Are you still doing this all with your primary triad? It looks like you could be... they are gorgeous. Looking forward to the finish.

I started on the shelf fungi tonight and got them blocked in, along with a chipmunk sitting on one of them nibbling another. It's not finished but I think it's shaping up already. I might not do much more to some areas like the moss.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/70184-Fungi_progress.jpg
Senneliers and Walnut Hollow oil based colored pencils on rose grey Colourfix paper.

C&C very appreciated on this one -- should I keep most of the log and background what it is -- there is a small area completely unworked in the lower left but I could possibly stop it here except for the fungi themselves and the little animal. Or are the fungi fine as they are too and I just need to finish the chipmunk?

Or do I keep going and start refining it till I've got the kind of realism I went for way back when I did the water lilies with Neopastels?

The one thing I'm definite on though is that chipmunk needs his white stripes, he is way too dark as he is and needs to stand out better.

lovin art
07-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi Everyone, Gosh, thanks for you lovely c&cs your making me blush the colour of my apples:wink2: your so right i totally forgot to add the shadows from the storks good idea.
Hal & Bill Thanks for your lovely comments, good luck with your art show Hal look forward to seeing your work on here.
Robert, :) Gald you liked my apples, i seem to be on a roll with the fruit theme lately:lol: I love what you have with the fungi and its just fine as is, your right the monkey needs a little tweaking but other than that its lovely the colours so spot-on.
Julie, Nice to meet you, thanks, i like the speckles too makes them look more real to me.
EP, nice work on your apples so far, Robert your right this is going to be a great month.

Sandra...

Art Pie
07-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to wc, and just thought I'd let you know I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all in this thread. So much so, that I've got the bug....I've been inspired....I shall have a go at the fungi and apples, not so sure I can cope with the water scene though, but I still might give it a go before the end of the month.
I may not be up to the standard of the op pics already shown here, that is some fantastic work by everyone so far. I am very impressed.
And I love the way you help each other out with suggestions for improvements.
I look forward to becoming a regular contributor here when time permits.

~Cy~

lovin art
07-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi there Art Pie, welcome to the wonderful world of ops, your in the right place as this forum is very inspiring as are the artist's that frequent it, and yep it is good how we all help each other on here. Bill our wonderful site guide will welcome you and show you all you'll need to know that there is to the site and more, look forward to seeing your artwork on here.

Sandra.

jubeads
07-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to wc, and just thought I'd let you know I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all in this thread. So much so, that I've got the bug....I've been inspired....I shall have a go at the fungi and apples, not so sure I can cope with the water scene though, but I still might give it a go before the end of the month.
I may not be up to the standard of the op pics already shown here, that is some fantastic work by everyone so far. I am very impressed.

~Cy~

Hi Art Pie!

I'm totally with you - I'm a bit of a OP beginner too and the art on here is amazing. Outta' my league, but lovely to view.

Oil pastels forum addiction... it's a good bug to have. ;)

I've started the apples.

I was browsing through a classroom thread of Pat's(by the way, fantastic lesson - lots of pictures) and there was a tool used called a tortillion. That looks like a handy little thing, I want one. Is there something around the house I could try to use thats similar?

eyepaint
07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Robert - thanks. Good start to your fungi, and good thinking on your chipmunk plans

Sandra - thanks

Cy/artpie - welcome! Everyone has a different level of experience making art/using oil pastels. If you jump in and do 100 op sketches (say one a day for 3 months) you'll see a difference just doing that.

jubeads - try rolling paper really tightly?

eyepaint
07-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Update (finish?) of the apples.

7x10 wc paper primed with acrylic gesso + lava texture gel (love this combo with the OPs!). Sennelier oil pastels, limited palette, all 8 colours I own were used here.

Ok so it's a little bit abstracted, but it's far closer to real-life colours than the crazy ones I usually use :) :) :) :)

Cheers,

halthepainter
07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Beautiful job EP.

robertsloan2
07-05-2009, 02:12 PM
EP, your apples came out fabulous. I like the way you blended all your wild colors to get strong true colors this time. I find myself wondering what will explode into being if you ever get more sticks -- even one or two more colors will wind up being explored in every possible combination. I'm still amazed at what you do with such a limited palette. This one in particular, you've pushed it to its limit and used such wonderful mixes to get all the hues and values close to the original. Way cool!

ArtPie, welcome to the forum! Please do come post and share your OP art, can't wait to see what you're doing. Jump on in, we're a friendly bunch. My cat Ari sheds his famous (infamous?) Cat Hairs of Inspiration on you -- he's very shaggy so I know you'll be extra inspired!

Thank you for the comments and help on my fungi! I'll try just finishing the chipmunk and a couple of details and post again, maybe less is more on this one.

robertsloan2
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2009/70184-ShelfFungi.jpg
Shelf Fungi with Chipmunk
4" x 6"
Sennelier oil pastels and Walnut Hollow oil pencils
Rose Grey Art Spectrum Colourfix paper

Here's a detail of the chipmunk:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2009/70184-ShelfFungiDetailChipmunk.jpg

Much thanks for the advice not to overdo it! I added some detail to the green areas in the shelf fungi and a little more in certain areas of the bark, then finished the chipmunk. I like its looseness. If I wanted much more detail I should've either worked larger or used colored pencils.

eyepaint
07-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Hal and Robert - thank you. I actually have a ninth OP, a white, that I almost never use. I don't plan to add more colours to my pallette because then I might be paralyzed on which colour to use. I have purchased a new full size of the naples yellow and the lighter blue ... looks like I'll need to buy the darker blue, too, soon-ish. These are all the jumbo sized pastels.

(missing the tiny black OP)

Cheers,

robertsloan2
07-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Wow! That's neat -- you're doing it all with Le Grande in a split primaries palette. What a cool approach. I do that sometimes, but I'd miss my bright greens and earth tones if I had to stick to it all the time.

jubeads
07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
EP - I love yours! It's not abstracted.. it's expressive :) . It really shows how artists can pinpoint colours. Maybe your different but I'm a crazy colour person too, and I swear I'll be trying to do it realistically but it just turns out stylistic!

We'll see how this one turns out..

Robert - I'm getting a psychedelic vibe from that fungi, and the chipmunk or squirrel (or I don't know we don't have them here) is gorgeous!

Scarefishcrow
07-05-2009, 06:31 PM

~Cy~

Cy, welcome to the OP Channel and forums. Don't worry, we have every skill level around here and all are welcome. You have to start somewhere!!

You may have seen this info, but just in case here is some info to help you find your way around and other useful tips:

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Scarefishcrow
07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
EP..Great apples. (Notice I'm ignoring the wisecrack about them not being cold!)

Robert the fungi look fantastic and you pulled the color of the chipmunk toward the orange/reddish tone that I was going to suggest before I got the chance and it is much better!

Bill:clap: :clap:

GOSH
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM

7x10 wc paper primed with acrylic gesso + lava texture gel (love this combo with the OPs!). Sennelier oil pastels, limited palette, all 8 colours I own were used here.

Ok so it's a little bit abstracted, but it's far closer to real-life colours than the crazy ones I usually use :) :) :) :)

Cheers,

eyepaint, your apples are GREAT! The cool blue I see around them fits them fine against the warmer reds and oranges. It's gearing up to be great painting.

GOSH
07-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Hal and Robert - thank you. I actually have a ninth OP, a white, that I almost never use. I don't plan to add more colours to my pallette because then I might be paralyzed on which colour to use. I have purchased a new full size of the naples yellow and the lighter blue ... looks like I'll need to buy the darker blue, too, soon-ish. These are all the jumbo sized pastels.

(missing the tiny black OP)

Cheers,

oh please don't let RG see this oh please don't let RG see this oh please don't let RG see this

GOSH
07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Shelf Fungi with Chipmunk
4" x 6"
Sennelier oil pastels and Walnut Hollow oil pencils
Rose Grey Art Spectrum Colourfix paper
(---)
Here's a detail of the chipmunk:
(---)

Much thanks for the advice not to overdo it! I added some detail to the green areas in the shelf fungi and a little more in certain areas of the bark, then finished the chipmunk. I like its looseness. If I wanted much more detail I should've either worked larger or used colored pencils.

I like your chipmunk right now. And I can see where you are going with the fungi, or so I think.

CLWilliams
07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Ai & loving, your apples are wonderful.

after seeing Robert's cherries the other day, I bought a set of pentels. I must say it is the artist & not the oil pastel that makes it work. This challenge was a real struggle this morning. I will try again later in the month, but it sort of looks like two loaves of bread to me. lol.
Charlotte
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2009/90933-broken_dam_web.jpg

jubeads
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Well I think I'm done :)

I really enjoyed doing that and it didn't take painstakingly long to complete (for a change).

My second picture in oil pastels!

Sandra, I tried to do the speckles... didn't work for me, I had to rub them out! You are too good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2009/191325-Apples_Art_copy.JPG

halthepainter
07-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Very impressive Jubeads. I've done three oil pastels now and none come close to what you accomplished here.

wildart129
07-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I've got to get to work on my painting, I've been sidetracked lately. I'm currently working on the river/dam scene I hope to have in on here sometime tomorrow. I might do the fungi to, but probably not the apples. I like seeing all the teqnique's and different ways of painting the references.:)

Welcome Art Pie, we look forward to seeing some of your artwork.

Sandra your painting of the apples is wonderful; the pattern on the table underneath is a nice addition.

EP the apples are looking great, I love the strong colors. Those jumbo senns are awesome, I have several of them.

Robert I love the addition of the chipmunk - is that Alvin, Simon or Theodore? I like how loose it is and not overworked.

Charlotte I like all the greens and other earth tones in your painting, the waters color is spot on.

Julia nicely done on the apples, the shadows and reflected light are perfect.

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

PiscesWoman
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Julia - These apples look great! You are obviously getting the best out of the Monte Martre brand.:clap:

jubeads
07-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks Everyone! :)

Hahaha, Karen. I wouldn't know any better yet! I don't find them that bad, but I bet once I get an expensive set I'll be shocked I was even able to do anything with the cheapy monte martes.

lovin art
07-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Charlotte, I like what you've done on your river scene:) Elizabeth is right the water is spot-on, Julia, thanks for the praise about my work your too kind, truth is i started ops at the start of this year so i haven't got much on you, and i think yours are splended:thumbsup: great job what support are you using to paint on by the way?.

Sandra..

jubeads
07-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I used watercolour paper, and I just covered it in gesso primer. I wasn't even going to use gesso until I read EP did (thanks EP :) ). Makes sense now, haha.

GOSH
07-06-2009, 12:50 AM

I really enjoyed doing that and it didn't take painstakingly long to complete (for a change).

Sandra, I tried to do the speckles... didn't work for me, I had to rub them out! You are too good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2009/191325-Apples_Art_copy.JPG

Oh WOW! Awesome. Beautifully done.

Scarefishcrow
07-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Charlotte you are being far too critical of yourself! I think you have done very well. Rember, look for what you did well, but if you see things you could have done better you have learned useful lessons for the future in Both cases!

Julia your apples are wonderfully done!

EP- YA DONE GOOD!

Bill

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

eyepaint
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Robert - thank you. When I first took the plunge and bought artist-quality OPs I didn't want to buy many. The split-primaries worked well for me so I bought the jumbo sizes - more economical (small is $4, jumbo is $10 and is soooo much larger)

jubeads - thank you :) Love your non-speckled apples! In fact I prefer to eat apples that are speckle/freckle-less. You're welcome about the gesso. I find that OP eventually soaks through the papers without some sort of primer. I have some terra cotta colour fix primer but since it's terra cotta and the apples are red then I would have a difficult time seeing what I was doing :)

Bill - thank you :)

GOSH - thank you (Maybe RG can't see the photo of the jumbo OPs...? :) )

Charlotte - thank you. Agree with you about the Pentels. I get so frustrated with them, so I bought a limited palette of artist-quality Senns and oooh boy such a difference!

Wildart - thank you

Cheers,

robertsloan2
07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the comments on my shelf fungi and chipmunk! I had to fight myself not to overwork that, it was so tempting to just keep going and get every stripe on the fungi and every piece of bark and moss detailed.

Charlotte, your broken dam scene looks good! I like how you reflected the forest into the water and got the depth in the scene. Glad you liked the Pentels. I go very slow, layer and blend with them when I'm trying to get the kind of textures I got with the cherries, but it's hard to beat the kind of loose spontaneity you have in your landscape. Different styles. I picked a very simple subject to try for that realism in too. Try doing a rock with them for 100 Rocks Project?

Julie, wow! I have a set of those Mont Marte oil pastels and they drive me nuts sometimes trying to avoid crumbles. You captured those apples perfectly. They're not that bad for student grade, but still it takes a whole lot to get them to perform that beautifully, especially careful crumb control and blending. They don't really need the speckles to be a striking, three dimensional painting with strong realism.

I think the trick for the speckles is to put an underlayer of yellow or gold and then carefully scratch them out with a toothpick or other pointy object. At least that's what I'd do to get them, and I might try it since those apples are a fun reference.

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
O.k. I'm home, and though I usually dont comment on my wonderfull, charming wifes work. Guys the pictures she posted just dont do any of them justice. They are all stunning.

EP: I know you have other colors than blue, though none of those appear to have been used much.... hmmm

Bill: Studio finished? updates......

Everybody else, Great work so far. Individual comments on posted paintings coming soon.

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:10 PM

An alternate way of obtaining the speckles, take an exacto knive or other instrement and carefully flick off the op where you want the speckles. one tool that I've been using for this, is a piece of silver wire in a .7 mm mechanical pencil holder.

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Robert - thank you. When I first took the plunge and bought artist-quality OPs I didn't want to buy many. The split-primaries worked well for me so I bought the jumbo sizes - more economical (small is $4, jumbo is $10 and is soooo much larger)

jubeads - thank you :) Love your non-speckled apples! In fact I prefer to eat apples that are speckle/freckle-less. You're welcome about the gesso. I find that OP eventually soaks through the papers without some sort of primer. I have some terra cotta colour fix primer but since it's terra cotta and the apples are red then I would have a difficult time seeing what I was doing :)

Bill - thank you :)

GOSH - thank you (Maybe RG can't see the photo of the jumbo OPs...? :) )

Charlotte - thank you. Agree with you about the Pentels. I get so frustrated with them, so I bought a limited palette of artist-quality Senns and oooh boy such a difference!

Wildart - thank you

Cheers,

Not understanding your reference EP :) colour me dense today.. maybe blue is my colour of the day..

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:15 PM

~Cy~

Looking forward to having around and seeing your work, I'm not the greatest around but feel free to ask any questions you might have, perhaps somebody with actual talent (i.e. not me) will answer :)

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Cheers,

EP: looks good, like the expressiveness..

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Looks really good, I really like the highlights and the texture.

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
oh please don't let RG see this oh please don't let RG see this oh please don't let RG see this

Why do I think she said this just to make sure I did.. hmm

RG

truck driver
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Ooops. I'm losing it!
:o :o

Had to edit this since I realized I had already Welcomed you, Julia, and was about to repeat myself!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/108067-message38.gif

Sandra you did a great job on the apples!
Bill
:wave: :thumbsup: :wave:

This would infer that umm you ever had it.. feel free to repeat yourself we understand.... now is that studio done yet?
RG

Pat Isaac
07-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Welcome to the OP forum, Cy...:wave: Looking forward to your work. This is a great place.

Pat

wildart129
07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Here's my start on the river/dam scene. Its only 5x7, I want to keep it small so I can finish it quickly. I actually done this sketch even before the month started because I wanted to do this painting anyway. But I waited until the monthly challenge to put paint on it. I found the perfect color in my senns for the water, Olive Green; it matches the color of the water really well. Then for the right side where it's shadowed I added black to olive green to make it darker then white on the other side to make it lighter. The woods in the bg are straight forward some faded greenery and tree trunks. The real challenge will be the dam itself. Hope to have this finished by tomorrow night so I can start on the fungi.

Have fun painting everyone, the month is only just beginning and the art is already amazing.:clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0004.JPG

Pat Isaac
07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
You are right Elizabeth....the art is amazing. This is a great start to the river scene and the water is wonderful.

Pat

jubeads
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
The water looks so real Elizabeth and I can see those little rapids already coming together!

I want to do another one but I don't know if I have enough colours! I'd rather do the dam scene but it's much more complex colour wise, with the water and everything..

truck driver
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
The water looks so real Elizabeth and I can see those little rapids already coming together!

I want to do another one but I don't know if I have enough colours! I'd rather do the dam scene but it's much more complex colour wise, with the water and everything..

what colours do you have?

RG

jubeads
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I have a very cheap set on Mont Martes with 24 oil pastels.

But i've just had another look and I have four greens which might be handy for the dam scene. A lot of them are very bright which was ok for the apples, but I'd like to do the dam realistically.

wildart129
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Pat and Julia.:thumbsup:

I've been painting on this the whole day and have just the right side of the dam to finish now. I'm going to start on the fungi tonight. After the ice storm downed trees at the beginning of the year then having a heavy rainy season, fungi and mushrooms are going to be everywhere right now. Here is one I took during autumn last year way out in the middle of the woods; I like to call them "Forest Pancakes".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2009/101334-Pancakes.JPG

robertsloan2
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Elizabeth, your water is gorgeous. I like how you did the background forest too. Looking forward to more on your broken dam! I also really like your photo of the "forest pancakes." I guess they're found wherever trees are. I saw a lot of them in the woods in Minnesota where I grew up.

Julia, with a small palette like the 24 color Mont Marte set, you may have to do a lot of mixing especially in the neutrals or any light tints. I have that set and there are no tints, just strong mass tones and white. However, they aren't that hard to mix going over each other, and if you mix complements you can mute them or create lively neutrals. I'd put a little of the reddish brown into a bright green to get an olive, or yellow ochre into it for a lighter olive.

Now you've almost got me thinking of getting out the Mont Marte ones to do something with them again and see if I handle them better than I did last year...

jubeads
07-07-2009, 03:44 AM
You're right Robert - I'm going to try some mixing tonight, too see what I can come up with for tomorrow. That pack is a whole LOTTA solid brights.. piercing pink, fluro orange.. you name it. Thats what I see anyway!

Elizabeth, that fungi does resemble pancakes, especially my failure attempts at pancake making. They are never round!

lovin art
07-07-2009, 03:54 AM
I have a very cheap set on Mont Martes with 24 oil pastels.

But i've just had another look and I have four greens which might be handy for the dam scene. A lot of them are very bright which was ok for the apples, but I'd like to do the dam realistically.

Julie, when i started out i was also using the mont martes then i found some Holbien ops at an art store i thought they were artist grade turns out their student instead but their not to bad they seem to go down better on some supports then others...:)

Elizabeth, nice work so-far on your Enchanted Forrest i too love the colour you have used on the background very nice...

Sandra.

jubeads
07-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Sandra, I know what you mean about supports - tonight I was just playing with pastels on a regular A4 sheet of paper, I nearly broke the finger on my skin from trying to blend! Not that I would try an artwork on regular printing paper, but that just gives you an idea of the cheapies.

But at 5 dollars, a beginner can't complain. :)

Art Pie
07-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome here. I've kicked off my shoes and made myself right at home now.

Ok, so here's my 'shrooms. Pencil sketch first, with a bit of shadow to give me an idea of placement.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/190879-102_0220a_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/190879-102_0223aba.jpg

A bit bright on the greens, but hey, I'm learning. And those bright greens wouldn't blend as I wanted them to, and they won't take another layer on top so I'm stuck with them as they are.
The background is ok on the left, but not on the right (I always have trouble with backgrounds).

C&C most welcome.

Pat Isaac
07-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice work on the shrooms, Cy. I like the initial pencil sketch and the OP painting as well. The greens are a bit bright as you say but the drawing is well done and I like the bark texture. What OPs are you using? and what kind of support? That may have something to do with the problem of layering.

Pat

GOSH
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
What Pat says :wave:
Well done :thumbsup:

Art Pie
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Ty Pat & Gosh.
The op's I used for this are a cheap set of 44 with no brand name. I suppose that old saying "you gets what you pay for" comes nagging back to annoy me.
I do have a better set of 12 Faber Castell's which I think are now due to be let out of their pristine case.

Done on thick cartridge paper in a journal style book.

I need more confidence before I go straight onto a more expensive surface. At the back of my mind I keep telling myself I'm going to "muck up" and waste the good stuff, :(

Looking forward to learning how to paint with op's properly (is there a proper way to paint) :lol: :rolleyes:

wildart129
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Art Pie nicely done on your fungi, I like the bright greens and the shadows really give them depth.:thumbsup:

Finished with the first painting, now I need to get the fungi started. This was painted on 5x7 UArt sanded paper using senn op with various color shapers. I've included a closeup of the falls. Any c&c is more than welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0002.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0004.JPG

Art Pie
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Wow, Wildart. I could run my hand along your wall and feel every bump and indent in it. And your turbulent water gushing through the gap is so perfect I can hear it in my minds eye (or ear!!).

You mention 'colour shapers' in your post. What are they, and what are they used for?

Thank you for your nice comment on my fungi. The photo I uploaded has actually come out too large on here, which I think is why it looks blurred. I'll see if I can get it the right size. (Nope, it's still showing up too big) Ah well.

halthepainter
07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Neat job on your shrooms Art Pie.

Wonderful job on the dam wildart. You really made it look real.

wildart129
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks very much for your comments Hal and Art Pie.

Color shapers are rubber tipped painting tools that in my opinion no op painter should go without. They are perfect for blending and getting detail into your paintings. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and brand names. I have four right now that I use, here are two of them. They clean off easier than paper stumps which I think are pain to use. Here is the blick.com site on different brands. I use the Royal Sovereign Clay Shapers. Although I don't know how easy it will be to get them in Australia. I've heard other artist talk about the difficulties of getting artist quality op in Australia. Not to mention the shipping price for ordering them online.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/rubbertippedtools/

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/101334-Materials_34.JPG

lovin art
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Beautiful job Elizabeth, i love the strongness of the background against the soft tones of the water, Lovely op.:thumbsup:

Sandra.

Pat Isaac
07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Wonderful finish to this Elizabeth...great texture and color.

Pat

robertsloan2
07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
ArtPie, your shrooms are looking good even with the bright greens. If you wanted to try for another layer on the bright greens, there is a temperature trick you could try. First, let it set up for a day or two, just sit and solidify. Then put the art in the fridge for a half hour or so inside a plastic bag so it won't get wet from anything else in there, or even the freezer. Chill the art. Warm the colors you want to scumble over the greens -- a nice reddish brown should do well for making them more olive, or a reddish gold color on the lighter green -- get it nice and warm in your hands or even put your hands on a heating pad first and then hold the OP inside your hand to get warm and sticky.

Use the warm OPs onto the cold artwork. This will often allow one more dab of color. Experiment on a test scrap if you're not sure how it'll turn out because this looks beautiful as-is.

Also test the unused Faber-Castell ones over a patch of those greens done on a scrap, you may not need the heat and cold technique if the Faber-Castells are softer. I have those but I don't have any no-name ones so I couldn't compare them to my huge stack of student grade OPs. 44 is a nice range though and you handled them so well! Great bark texture and shadows.

The stronger colors on the fungi and more neutral colors on the bark really makes the fungi come forward, so I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to mute the greens anyway. Part of why they look bright is the pinks and ruddy colors next to them -- it's a gorgeous combo.

Elizabeth... wow wow wow... I love your broken dam painting! Thank you for the detail of the water. I learn every time you post in detail.

Thanks for showing a photo of Colour Shapers too. They are from the UK so they may be easier to get in Australia than some US or European supplies, their art stores seem to get Derwents and other UK stuff easier, sometimes faster than I get them in the USA.

ArtPie, the white Colour Shapers are softest and those are good with powdery soft pastels. The grey ones are Firm and those are good with oil pastels. The very best ones for OP are the Clay Shapers, which are very dark tips, nearly black. This makes it easy to sort them out for which medium you're using if you wind up having some of each, as I do -- got some white soft ones in a pastel blenders kit, then a Firm pair of my favorite tips and a set of five Clay Shapers that became my OP set. Firm works all right with both mediums.

Also if you see a Loew-Cornell Paint Eraser, that works the same way.

jubeads
07-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Bellisimo, Elizabeth! I am learning from yours too. I love the texture you've included, particularly on the walls. I know this is odd, but it really is delicious looking! A generous slather of OPs. :)

Art Pie
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Wildart and Robert. Thank you for the details and info on colour shapers. Now I've seen what they look like I realise I have a set of them (burried somewhere under a mountain of craft supplies). It'll take me ages to find them, so I will probably end up buying another set :o
Robert, thank you also for that info about putting another layer on my greens. I like the idea of chilling the art. I will experiment with that technique in a day or two as you suggest.

Hal, ty for your words on my fungi

I see my original fungi pic has resized to a smaller size now. Didn't know that would happen if I changed the size of the pic on my computer. Technology huh!.

I live in New Zealand (there is a very slight difference in the flags on here between NZ and Australia), and yes, Derwent are a popular brand. Daler-Rowney are also one of the top brands, and I can occasionally get Rembrandt soft pastels, although I brought much of my art supply from UK with me I have an excellent art supply shop here an hours drive from home.

I'm off to look for my colour shapers now. If I'm not back in a couple of hours send out a search party for me :lol:

jubeads
07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Art Pie if you do find some colour shapers, please let me know where you got them :). The stores are pretty similar here in Aus, and I can't find ANYTHING related with oil pastels except for oil pastels themselves.

I'm going to attempt the dam after Elizabeth's inspiring work, but if mine turns out horrible I know have the 'I don't have colour shapers' excuse.

QUESTION: I'm running out of support. If I cover a canvas in two coats of acrylic gesso, will that do the job?

wildart129
07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, they are really appreciated.:)

Art Pie I hope you find some good color shapers. Most of the materials I use I have to order online, including the op I use.:)

Julia thatís not odd at all; I've had my paintings referred to as "yummy" or just "yum" before. Maybe the impasto painting style reminds people of cake frosting.:p

vak2171
07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I had great difficulty with this project. Why is it easy for me to do animals/people and have so much trouble doing an apple? I found red to be an obstinate color and the highlights gave me what for....So, after much frustration, this is my effort and I have to call it finished! C&C please..I need help!

wildart129
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Julia I'm looking forward to seeing your water scene. Canvas is fine to use. But if it's stretched canvas you may have trouble with the surface warping as you push on the canvas to blend. A support behind the canvas would help make painting easier.:)

Here is the next and final painting I'm going to do for this month. I want to save my UArt for bigger projects so this is done on 5x7 wc paper with a layer of gesso. I'm not used to working on this surface, but it seems to be going okay right now. This one is turning out to be more difficult than the water scene so it may take a little bit longer. Any c&c is more than welcome.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0001.JPG

halthepainter
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks pretty good to me VAk2171.

Pat Isaac
07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Ginny, the apples are looking good, I think you need to add some dark values using some blues and even some greens as a complement to the reds. Maybe even some more highlights of yellow.
Great start on the shrooms, Elizabeth.

pat

vak2171
07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks Pat. Will give it a go tomorrow and see if I get any happier with this ting. Ginny

jubeads
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks Elizabeth. Hrms what can I put behind the canvas? Maybe I'll just use wc paper again, it's just not very big!

I definitely like where you're going with the deep greens on the fungi. The colour pulls it out of the picture incredibly.

wildart129
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks Pat and Julia for your comments. I like this surface so far and might prime some more wc paper for future paintings.

Ginny I like it the way it is, the reds came out very nicely. Perhaps adding some darks would make it pop as Pat has suggested.:thumbsup:

Have fun painting;)

jubeads
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Elizabeth I'm looking at the link you've posted for the colour shapers. I'm considering getting them because if that sites not just selling lies, they are also good for acrylic and oil paint :).

Would you recommend soft or firm?

Scarefishcrow
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am way behind! Everything is looking great but I'm not sure I have been able to catch all the new posts.

(BTW, RG, I DID catch yours! Thanks!!! It's a good thing I like you so much or I might think you were serious!!!!! :lol: :lol: and no, the studio is not done yet but getting closer!)

Everyone is so productive this month it is unbelievable!!

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :thumbsup: :music: :music: :heart:

wildart129
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Julia- They are an alternative to paint brushes, so they would be good for both oil and acrylic. I would recommend the firm ones if you plan on using them with op a lot, the firm ones are far more durable. I personally find the taper and chisel shapes to be the most useful, but it depends on your style of course.:)

Bill- there's lots of new talent and great art in here and the month is barely just beginning.:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
07-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Great start on your shelf fungi, Elizabeth. I love how you did the green ones, your colors are so rich and the impasto texture is gorgeous. I need to try the Golden clear gesso with pumice sometime to see how it compares with Colourfix, though I love that Colourfix primer on watercolor paper. I can see why you'd want to save your good Uart paper for serious paintings.

VAK, your apples are spectacular! It's finished, there is no flaw in this painting, it's gorgeous. Don't overwork it. Your strokes are lovely, you rounded them beautifully, the color pops out and the depth is so strong in this. Gorgeous painting! I haven't even tried these yet, don't know if I will or not, but the water scene intrigues me.

lovin art
07-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Ginny, love your apples they look delicious, nice colour their fine the way they are.

Elizabeth, nice start to your shrooms, your greens look wonderful.

Sandra...

Art Pie
07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Looking great on the fungi so far Elizabeth, I like your greens. I look forward to seeing the next stage.

Julia, I have found this website for buying those colour shapers

http://www.theartshop.com.au/category287_1.htm

The link will go straight to the colour shapers page, and they are in Aussie, so you don't have to order from overseas.
(and they have a NZ branch just for me).

Hope this is helpful to you.

Cy

jubeads
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you, Cy :)

PiscesWoman
07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Looking great on the fungi so far Elizabeth, I like your greens. I look forward to seeing the next stage.

The link will go straight to the colour shapers page, and they are in Aussie, so you don't have to order from overseas.

Cy

Thanks also from me, Cy,

I have only ever found the Monte Martre brand of shapers in the soft - not much good for anything but Soft Pastels. It's now marked in my Favourites

wildart129
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Here's this one finished. I really enjoyed this painting because it's simple nature and far and away from my usual big wildlife paintings. Any c&c is more than welcome.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0002.JPG

robertsloan2
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Groan.... another inexpensive brand of OP that I need to buy but this time have shipped from Australia... Micador... never heard of them before. The link's wicked. lol

Cy

robertsloan2
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Here's this one finished. I really enjoyed this painting because it's simple nature and far and away from my usual big wildlife paintings. Any c&c is more than welcome.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2009/101334-IMG_0002.JPG

Oh wow! Elizabeth, this is far more beautiful than I'd imagined it would turn out. It's fantastic! I love it. Magnificent! You really soared with this one, and the greens are glorious still but now everything else has caught up to them! Also they have so much more relevant detail. They seem more detailed than they are, in the best sort of way. I can get lost in the lush textures.

Art Pie
07-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Roberts 1st three words are echoed by me "Oh wow Elizabeth". Excellent job, and I love the textures. Oh and just look at that lovely fluffy moss growing on the branch. Gorgeous.

Glad I could help everyone with that link for shapers (and other art supplies, hahaha). I haven't used that online shop before so I can't comment on how good their service is.
I usually use http://www.artsupplies.co.nz for all my supplies as they are the biggest in NZ, and only an hour away from my home, and extremely helpful and obliging..

Right then, I'm off to make start on my apples now.

Cy

lovin art
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Beautiful work Elizabeth, as always you have your own wonderful style that seems to shine through in your paintings, lovely.:)
Cy, thats a cool link you gave out, i took a look at the site its great, thankyou and how lucky are you to only be 1 hours drive from a shop like that i dont think i would ever leave:lol:

Sandra..

Scarefishcrow
07-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Julia- They are an alternative to paint brushes, so they would be good for both oil and acrylic. I would recommend the firm ones if you plan on using them with op a lot, the firm ones are far more durable. I personally find the taper and chisel shapes to be the most useful, but it depends on your style of course.:)

Bill- there's lots of new talent and great art in here and the month is barely just beginning.:thumbsup:

I know, Elizabeth and I am overwhelmed! It is fantastic that so many people are "challenging" themselves to put forward the image as they see it so we can look at it through so many other's eyes and see things we might not have noticed.

I HOPE I can get one of these done as they are all so appealing as RI's!!

(BTW, Check for new pics of studio progress in my Talk Thread! You demand and I obey! Particularly when you have so many majestic friends with BIG teeth.) :lol:

It is so exciting to see so much participation and thanks to everyone that has been helping host the challenges (Elizabeth this month) and make them so dynamic and exciting!!

I won't try to name everyone as I'm sure I would miss someone, but everything I have seen has been a great treat, whether from a beginning OP artist or seasoned one!

We are all guides and we are all learners!!

Bill
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat Isaac
07-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Wonderful finish to the shrooms, Elizabeth. Nice rich color and texture.

Pat

GOSH
07-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Wildhart and vak2171: Beautifully done.
I really am enjoying all the different takes on the subjects here.

painterly_peg
07-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi All
I'm fairly new here. I really like oil pastels because to me, they are the closest to oil painting yet they have beautiful colour.
This is my third attempt at an oil pastel.
This was done with inexpensive oil pastels on Canson watercolour paper. Size is 7"x9". I found the paper was smooth enough to blend on but rough enough to hold the pastel.
Please feel free to critique.
I saw all your beautiful art in this challenge and felt a need to join in.
Peg

robertsloan2
07-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Peg, congratulations. This is only your third oil pastel? It's beautiful. I love how you did the fungi, you do have painterly strokes! The moss is delightful with those bright green flecks and the deeper olive strokes supporting them, it is very true to nature that way. Gorgeous painting!

painterly_peg
07-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Thank you Robert Sloan

Pat Isaac
07-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I totally agree with your assessment of OPs, Peg. That is why I like them. Great job on this, wonderful color and texture.

Pat

painterly_peg
07-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you Pat

Scarefishcrow
07-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Peg, Welcome to the OP Channel and forums. I'm sorry I seemed to have missed your posts earlier. You did and wonderful job on this piece and the colors are great, as you say!

Since I somehow missed your previous posts, just in case you haven't found the help threads I'll leave some info below you may find useful in finding things here and what's available as well as some helpful thread linkis;

Art Pie
07-12-2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2009/190879-apples.jpg

22cm x 18cm on acrylic covered cartridge paper. I cracked open my box of 12 Faber-Castell for this.

Oh boy was this difficult for me. I think my shadows are too dark, the stalks don't stand out enough, the colours aren't right and I have definitely not got the hang of op's yet :eek: Ah well, it's only my second go with op's so maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

Good job the photo is a bit out of focus, :wink2:

I shall be having another go at painting these apples, so please critique and comment all you like. I will not give up.

jubeads
07-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Art Pie, I like it :)

I don't think the shadows are too dark at all. And you got away with including the speckles on the apples, I didn't succeed at that!

If you really want, just add some darks to those stalks to make them stand out more. You know that already though, so I'm not much help :P ..

Art Pie
07-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Ty very much Julia. :D
About your comment on the speckles. In my pic it's not what I put on to make the speckles, it's what I left out. The textured acrylic surface meant that with a light touch of op I could leave some "white speckles" of untouched background.

Oh yes, darker stalks. I couldn't work out what it needed to 'pop' out of the page. And I've just realised that my shadows are not consistent, which is probably why I don't like them :rolleyes:

Could someone please explain to me how I can achieve a "shiny" apple?

GOSH
07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi All
I'm fairly new here. I really like oil pastels because to me, they are the closest to oil painting yet they have beautiful colour.
This is my third attempt at an oil pastel.
This was done with inexpensive oil pastels on Canson watercolour paper. Size is 7"x9". I found the paper was smooth enough to blend on but rough enough to hold the pastel.
Please feel free to critique.
I saw all your beautiful art in this challenge and felt a need to join in.
Peg

You can make some really neat stuff very easily and quickly too. Hello and welcome aboard. Love your shrooms :cat:

GOSH
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2009/190879-apples.jpg

22cm x 18cm on acrylic covered cartridge paper. I cracked open my box of 12 Faber-Castell for this.

Oh boy was this difficult for me. I think my shadows are too dark, the stalks don't stand out enough, the colours aren't right and I have definitely not got the hang of op's yet :eek: Ah well, it's only my second go with op's so maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

Good job the photo is a bit out of focus, :wink2:

I shall be having another go at painting these apples, so please critique and comment all you like. I will not give up.

Niiice. I don' think the shadows are too dark at all and if you want the stalks to stand out more just look at the shade the stalks make on the surface of the apples and place a shadow there. I think you are doing wonderfully well. About the photos, OP's seem to be camera shy in that you can't get the vibrancy of the colors and some detail, especially using a flash. Photos mostly don't do justice to your artwork.

wildart129
07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your comments on my fungi everyone; I really like how they turned out.:)

Peg - Welcome to the op forum. Your fungi turned out beautiful, the coloring is glorious.:thumbsup:

Cy- Your apples are wonderful, I love the reflections and colors. The shadows are fine as far as how dark they are. Perhaps bringing the shadows more out from underneath the apples would give it more depth and making the stalks darker would probably help.:thumbsup:

Spice3514
07-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Here are my apples - I just loved working with the reds !!!

Art Pie, I notice you mentioned that you had Faber Castells. I started with those (the Creative Studio set) and thought they were nice until I tried artists quality Neopastels. The FBs have some good colours, but now I know that they are quite hard and difficult to blend, so I know you did a VERY good job on your apples, especially with only 12 colours. The shadows are not too dark (this was a high-contrast picture) and the stalk on the right is especially good. Combined with this being only your 2nd OP, its actually a picture to be proud of (why not date it, keep it, and look back on it in a couple of months?).

Here are mine -neopastels on Haehnemuhle oil pastel paper, 9 x 12 ins
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2009/183415-Apples-OP-July-09-WC-Challe.jpg

halthepainter
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Elizabeth, you achieved a fantastic sense of depth with you shrooms. Beautiful job.

halthepainter
07-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Wonderful job on the apples, Spice Girl, whoops, I mean Brenda.

Art Pie
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Thank you all for your great advice on my apples. I have now re-worked it and I am happier with it.
The shadows are out further from under the apples, the stalks are darker, I re-worked the colour a bit more in places, and went for a bit more shine on the tops. All very good advice, ty.

Even the photo turned out better, and thanks to Spice's suggestion. I have even signed and dated it :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2009/190879-newapples.jpg

painterly_peg
07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Again,
I tried another of the challenges. With this one I used Canson paper. It is again 7X9".
I did something extra with this one. I read on someone's webpages to try sealing the painting with acrylic gel. I did it and it worked great.
Peg

painterly_peg
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Thank you Bill...I looked up the info and am about to follow some of the info I found that will apply to me.

Again many thanks.

painterly_peg
07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Thank you Goth and Thank you Wildart.

jubeads
07-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Peg I'm working on the dam now and I wish I had to guts to go as bright as you. You pull it off - the dam looks cheerful.

Art pie it definitely looks better, I like how you can see the table cloth under the apples shadow now, it really makes it look realistic. I'm glad your happy with it, too! :D

lovin art
07-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Wow, everyone has been doing great art on here, Peg, nice work on your shrooms and the dam, very well done:thumbsup: Art Pie, your apples are wonderful, nice work dont be so hard on yourself their great you did a great job on the rework.:thumbsup: Brenda, love your apples, those neopastels sure do make them look delicious:thumbsup: , nice work everyone...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandra.

Pat Isaac
07-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Great apples, Brenda and Cy. Love the shine on them.
Nice waterfall, Peg. I like the strong color and the water coming over the falls really flows.

Pat

GOSH
07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone,
Here are my apples - I just loved working with the reds !!!

Art Pie, I notice you mentioned that you had Faber Castells. I started with those (the Creative Studio set) and thought they were nice until I tried artists quality Neopastels. The FBs have some good colours, but now I know that they are quite hard and difficult to blend, so I know you did a VERY good job on your apples, especially with only 12 colours. The shadows are not too dark (this was a high-contrast picture) and the stalk on the right is especially good. Combined with this being only your 2nd OP, its actually a picture to be proud of (why not date it, keep it, and look back on it in a couple of months?).

Here are mine -neopastels on Haehnemuhle oil pastel paper, 9 x 12 ins
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2009/183415-Apples-OP-July-09-WC-Challe.jpg

But they're not apples; they're rubis! Love the beautiful glow you give them. I wish you'd have given a little more thought to the partial apples on the left and the upper sides, though. :wave:

GOSH
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Again,
I tried another of the challenges. With this one I used Canson paper. It is again 7X9".
I did something extra with this one. I read on someone's webpages to try sealing the painting with acrylic gel. I did it and it worked great.
Peg

Art Pie: You're welcome.
painterlypeg: I love your choice of color since it's very cheerful and sunny.

painterly_peg
07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I did use strong colour because I increased the hue to brighten it and make it cheerful. I'm glad you liked my attempt..
Pat..I seldom can pull off good water in other mediums but with oil pastel I was able to!! Now I'm really enjoying this medium. I think I found my nitche.

jubeads
07-14-2009, 01:11 AM
I finished my dam, yay! Enjoyed doing it too.

When I began this artwork my white pastel was about an inch long. Then two thirds of the way through it got so small that it was effecting the standard of the drawing :(. I sticky taped the little bud of a pastel (about 15 mm long now) to the end of a pencil - all fixed! It was fun using it, haha.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2009/191325-P7140956.JPG

I also bought some a new box of pastels today, a 48 pack but still a cheap brand - Micador. I'm excited! I've doubled my colours ..now onto the fungi!

lovin art
07-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Julia, this is lovely it has a beautiful softness to it, you did a great job on the water, and i love the brick walls, cool work congrats on your new pastels hope you have fun using them...:clap: :thumbsup:

Sandra.

jubeads
07-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Thank you Sandra! I'm glad you like the softness, because I felt like it was blurry, haha!

GOSH
07-14-2009, 07:22 AM
I love the walls of the dam. :wave:
Good use of color.

halthepainter
07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
My Dam site is a WIP. I didn't exactly follow the photo. I wanted less water and more background.

My background trees need more defination to make them separate trees but that must wait for my oillies to set up a bit. I need to regain some more tooth. I have a lot of tweaking to do in the background.

So far I've used mostly Erengi, a few Seneliers, and a lot of fingers.
The image is 11 by 14 on cold pressed watercolor paper. (no gesso)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2009/140488-wc_dam_site.jpg

This is my fourth oillie and suggestions appreciated.

lovin art
07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Well Hal, i dont have any suggestions as i think its fine to me, i love the way you've adapted the backgroud to be more of a focal point and the hint of the blue sky peeping through also, and the colour of the water as it starts to change from that greenie-gold to the rich blue, Beautiful work and it doesn't show that its your fourth op looks like you've been doing it for years.:) :thumbsup: :clap:

Sandra.

Pat Isaac
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
This is really looking great, Hal. I too like the water and the and the dam texture. Great for your 4th!!!

Pat

Scarefishcrow
07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
...and the dam texture.

Pat

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Pat, watch your language! A moderator should set a better example!:evil: :evil:

:lol: :lol: I have been thinking of that pun this whole month!!!

Bill
:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: beat you to it without even knowing it...:rolleyes:

pat

halthepainter
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
and the dam texture.

Pat

Thank you for pointing that out Bill, I hadn't caught the hidden meaning in Pat's comment. :rolleyes:

robertsloan2
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Julia, your broken dam is lovely. I like the stone texture and the soft feeling throughout, it's very natural and gorgeous. LOL running out of white, the white stick in my Neopastels set is starting to look a bit short too but I sensibly bought an extra one a while back. Hope the Micadors have a good texture!

Hal, your version of the dam clearly shows how you changed it so much. I like the sunlight on the stones and the deep shadow on the nearer part of the dam. I can see how you want to work on the trees a bit more to distinguish them from each other, but you have a great start here.

GOSH
07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
What robert says :)

halthepainter
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I tweaked my dam site painting. My oil and wax buildup is so thick on it that it's difficult to deal with. I really don't want to take a razor and scrape the wax away. I may just let this stay the way it is now.

Latest layers are almost all Sennelier.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2009/140488-loresf_dam_2.jpg

Suggestions welcome.

Pat Isaac
07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Looks great and I would leave it. Watch out for the "dam"......

Pat

halthepainter
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks great and I would leave it. Watch out for the "dam"......

Pat

Hi Pat: When I was stationed at Beale AFB, north of Sacramento, Ca., I took my family to view the construction of the Oroville Dam.

There was a hotdog stand there advertising: "The best dam dog by a dam site."

Pat Isaac
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
:lol: :lol: I love it Hal.....

Pat

robertsloan2
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Hal, that is magnificent! Your last tweaks made it perfect. I love those trees, the sky coming through between them is just right, the strong shadows so rich, everything in it is so good. Love it.

halthepainter
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Robert, that means a lot.

lovin art
07-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Looks lovely Hal, wonderful take on the dam.:thumbsup:

Sandra.

oldrockchick
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Phew! well I have finally been through every page and, I think, seen all the work! You have all been so busy while I've been off line on holiday in the wild and wet wilderness. (Technology-free fortnight, not even electricity:eek: :lol: )

Spice (Brenda) - beautiful apples. Very realistic and great highlights and specks.

Hal - I love your take on the composition, excellent foliage and that little bit of blue sky showing through the trees adds great depth. You have really shaped the water flow nicely. Those final violet touches bring it out. I too like to use purples and violets in both OPs and CPs. I think they make better outlining colours. Your purples work so well with the golds of the brickwork to add contours. Great work Hal :thumbsup:

Jubeads - Spot on! Lovely highlights and you have given the apples a great glossy texture. If this is only your second piece, I'm impressed. The dam is lovely especially the walls. I eat whites too -in OPs CPs and oil paints. (Not literally :D )

Elizabeth (Wildart) - thanks for stepping in to swap hostings with some great refs. I love your dam. It is amazing! So realistic, the shadows, current, reflections - absolutely blooming marvellous! It is a truly amazing piece. Great wall, excellent water movement, tree roots.............awesome.
Your fungus is so natural with beautiful colours.

Vak (Ginny):wave: hello there and welcome to the OP family. Your apples look ok to me. The edges where they meet look to me like they are in water. They have a lovely glossy wet look to them.
Since joinign WC I have dranw loads of refs in areas where I'm not comfortable and because of this I feel I have developed and learnt and improved more in the last few months than I have in the last 3 years. Stick with us and you'll be ok :wink2:

Robert - I love the colours, crop and overall feel to your shrooms. It is so natural yet creative. It is such a warm piece. Beautiful

Charlotte - OPs are a bit tricky to get used to at first especially for details. Keep going you are doing well so far.

Artpie (Cy) - Hello and welcome to our OP world :wave: Why not look in on our weekly Oil Gusher in talk and see what we are really like ?:evil: :cool: :rolleyes: Good start on the shrooms. It is always a good idea to start with a sketch as a map and some shading. I even did a complete Grisaille when I did my Arbury Arch piece
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557702&highlight=Arbury+Arch
I too have troubles with my greens being too bright and unnatural. I like how you did the cloth and the bark is especially good. I like the apples too. Daler Rowney are pretty good, I use quite a few of those and they are easy for me to get in open stock. They are firmer than Senns so I have to use them on the lower layers and the softer ones on top. I boufht a set of 12 FCs on holiday and only used them a little on one sketch so far.

Peg - Hi Peg. Good to see you in these parts :rolleyes: GLad you like OPs, they sure do have bright strong colours. I'm loving your shrooms. They resonate. Well cool. I love your approach to the dam with the high contrast. It is lovely and lively.

GOSH You put me to shame sometimes:lol: You sure have been busy and what lovely pieces you have produced too. I'm envious of your Senns. *drool*

Sandra (lovinart) - Lovely juicy apples. Intyeresting how you got the under cloth. Great!

Eyepaint - WOW! Striking, abstracted but still clear. I just knew you would have to have blue in there somewhere and those blue shadows sure make the work vibrate. Very interesting.

I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Bill - When you have finished your studio, what excuse will you have then not to join in the challenges ? :lol: :wink2:

Ho hum, well I took the apple ref on holiday and planned to do it but by the time we were gettign back in the evening light was getting poor. I did a few works but it was too much of a pain to pack one lot of medium away to get another lot out. I'll try to get at least one finsihed. I did make a start on the damn and hope to get it done before we run out of time.

halthepainter
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Sandra, Linn thanks for the encouragement.

Linn good to have you back. Looking forward to some fantastic photos.

robertsloan2
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2009/70184-BrokenDam.jpg
Broken Dam
6" x 8"
Cretacolor Aqua Stic watersoluble oil pastels
Watercolor paper primed with Black Art Spectrum Colourfix primer

I thought I'd have a go at the broken dam one today, loved that from the moment I saw it and decided it was the perfect reference to try using the black Colourfix paper I had prepared. I love how it came out even if it's a bit dark. I think the Neocolor II may be a little more opaque.

oldrockchick
07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
WOW Robert that is REALLY effective. I'm not sure if you have seen them but we used to get these long black wall hangings from Europe that were made with coloured silks on black background. They used to shimmer and shine like that and it rmeinds me of those.

this is a beautiful effect. I love it! What am excellent and creative way to use the ref.

halthepainter
07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow Robert. It's a wonderful use of the texture of the paper and the black under color.

I'm glad I hadn't seen yours before I did mine or I wouldn't have tried at all.

Magnificient.

robertsloan2
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you! Lin, I have seen those tapestries, I used to have one that had all sorts of brilliant colours on black. I love that sort of thing, that was part of my inspiration. I think I'm going to be using my black Colourfix more often now!

Hal, thank you! I thought yours was great and still do, so I'm glad I didn't intimidate you or something. It was actually easier than some of the heavier applications I've done, I let a lot of the black show through doing all the shadows and dark crevices.

halthepainter
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Hal, thank you! I thought yours was great and still do, so I'm glad I didn't intimidate you or something. It was actually easier than some of the heavier applications I've done, I let a lot of the black show through doing all the shadows and dark crevices.

I took a week long soft pastel workshop with Herman Marguiles. He always worked on a black textured museum board. His black always showed through to some extent.

lovin art
07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Robert, wonderful take on the dam, it reminds me of a scene out of a movie i've seen must think about that!, the colours are lovley and deep, this is very moving.

Sandra.

Pat Isaac
07-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Great piece, Robert and I like the black paper. Adds intensity.

Pat

halthepainter
07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Elizabeth, I apologize for the liberties I took with your beautiful photo of the shrooms on the tree trunk.
Like last month, when I felt the ruins demanded monks, the magical shrooms demanded pixies.

Alas I'm lousy at drawing pixies. I should have left the shrooms alone then I would have had a fair to middlin painting.

I put an acrylic pink undertone on the watercolor paper with the intent of etching the pixies in. (you real artists have a fancy term for that)

That didn't work well so I tried my oil pencils but the acrylic undertone was slick (I put it on pretty thicKly) and would not allow them to leave any pigment. So it was forced to use my oillies and they made for rather corse images and any delicate treatment was out of the question.

So that's the story of this effort.

12 by 16 inch on 140 pound watercolor paper. No gesso but a heavy application of pink acrylic as an undertone and to protect the paper from my etching efforts.

Drum roll please: :evil: :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2009/140488-lores_pixies.jpg

Don't be too harsh on your comments, remenber, I'm an old geezer. :angel: :rolleyes:

Pat Isaac
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Let's see, I seem to have misplaced my drums....:rolleyes: how about a little flute tune? Not quite as dramatic, but goes with the pixies. This has a very nice fairylike appeal and I love those pink schrooms.

Pat

robertsloan2
07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Purr, thanks for all the comments on my broken dam painting! I have that one up on my wall, I really like how that worked and have to use the black again.

Cool little pixies, Hal. Sometimes less is more, you really convey their size and I like their flowing hair. They come through better than my chipmunk did at first glance. I love the shadows on them too. Interesting pink shrooms, they look very magical, and I love the way you alternated hard and soft edges on their surfaces.

Art Pie
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Robert, your black paper gives a very dramatic effect to the scene. Great idea, and lovely work.

Hal, I love your pixies. They are a great addition to the 'shrooms and worked well in the composition. I like the extra 'shrooms too. Almost like the pixies have a stairway up the tree trunk.

oldrockchick, thank you for the welcome, I'm happy I found you. I had a look at your Arbury Arch, and what a great job you did with it. Lovely subject too. I like architecture and old buildings and I really miss the old English/Welsh castles as we don't have anything that old here in NZ.

I have yet to attempt the dam scene. Will try a pencil sketch first I think though, just to see if I can do it any justice as I'm not much good at scenery, but I like to push myself away from my 'comfort zone' sometimes. I need the challenge :rolleyes:

wildart129
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I've fallen behind on my commenting I've been so busy lately. Thanks for the kind words on my paintings Lin. I enjoyed doing this month, and I'm looking forward to seeing whats in store for next month.:)

Brenda- Your apples look fabulous I love the deep reds and the realism you've conveyed.

Cy- Nice finish to your apples, I like the sgrafitto under the apples.

Peg- I like the depth you have conveyed with the left side of the dam and the turbulent water.

Julia- I love the softness of your dam scene and the fact that you stayed true to the ref with the house at the top.

Hal- I love the forest in the bg in your dam painting, and I wish it really looked that way irl. You can put all the pixies you want on those shrooms. Itís a nice touch of fantasy.

Robert- I like the texture as much as the black. It's something unique and it's something I might try in the future. I like how the turbulent water is the main focus and the brightest part of the painting.

Have fun painting everyone. :thumbsup:

Art Pie
07-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Oh is that what it's called, :lol: ty.

halthepainter
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM

me too, sgrafitto, so that's what it is. That's what I tried to do with my pixies but couldn't pull it off and had to fall back on the oillies.

pumkin54
07-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Well, I don't have a digicam, so I borrowed my roommate's iPhone because I was so eager to share my painting, of which I am inordinately proud :lol:. Much to my dismay, I've learned that 3 megapixels is not nearly enough to capture any of the details and colors. So I'll preface this by saying that the entire left side is washed out, the colors aren't as deep red or brilliant as the real picture, and there's a general feeling of blur over the whole image. I'm going to have to invest in a nice camera soon and maybe I'll repost this when I do.

This thing measures 9x7, painted on a scrap piece of fake canvas paper primed with clear gesso tinted some random color I can't recall lol. (The paper has gone gleefully concave from the priming :lol:) The underpainting is water-soluble NeoColor II and AquaStic. The top layer is Erengis. I did the initial sketch with a red Walnut Hollow pencil and learned, to my chagrin, that they are not as immune to H20 as one would expect from an oil-based pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2009/149275-pamsapples2.JPG

Art Pie
07-22-2009, 06:50 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2009/149275-pamsapples2.JPG

You're kidding me right? This is really a photo of the actual apples isn't it?
The way they shine in the light, and pop off the page with the shadows, I can't believe this is a painting.
I gotta get me some of those NeoColors and Erengis if this the quality of painting you can get from them.
Excellent job Pumpkin.

Pat Isaac
07-22-2009, 08:07 AM
That's what I was going to say...this is the photo, right? Beautifully done and even if the color seems washed out it is obvious that there are many layers and tones of color. really like all the reflected light.

Pat

oldrockchick
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Heya all.

Hal - I LOVE your shrooms. It's like something from a fairy story book. The pixies are cute and what I like is that you have to really look to see them, which gives the whole thing a great air of mystery.:thumbsup: I used to be accused of being too hard on myself. I think you are too sometimes. This is great work.

Cy - Cool to meet you too. I loved your NZ pics and I found them inspiring. I too love old architecture and buildings. If you look back through the travel pic thread I have psoted quite a few. Anytime you want an old building just ask - I'll no doubt have a pic of one somehwere.

Pumkin - your apples lovely lovely and glossy. I like the way you have done the cloth underneath too.

I might just be able to get on and finish one of this month's challenge before we run out of the month - if I can get myself into gear.

halthepainter
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Cy you have every right to be inordinately proud of your apples. You are obivously a very skilled artist. Well done.

robertsloan2
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Cy, your apples are incredible. I can appreciate the frustration of the photo not matching the originals -- but the photo looks like a photo of the real apples. My first thought was "Did you just set up some apples of your own and photo this? No, that has to be... wow, it's a painting." Wonderful photorealism! Yes, please do repost it if you get a better camera, I would love to see all the subtleties that are implied in how this looks even washed out on the left. Gorgeous.

pumkin54
07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Don't wanna seem like I'm elbowing in here, but are some of you guys accidentally calling me Cy? :lol::lol::wave:

Art Pie
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Cy, your apples are incredible. I can appreciate the frustration of the photo not matching the originals -- but the photo looks like a photo of the real apples. My first thought was "Did you just set up some apples of your own and photo this? No, that has to be... wow, it's a painting." Wonderful photorealism! Yes, please do repost it if you get a better camera, I would love to see all the subtleties that are implied in how this looks even washed out on the left. Gorgeous.

Cy you have every right to be inordinately proud of your apples. You are obivously a very skilled artist. Well done.

These messages are really for Pumkin.......not me, Cy

Probably my fault for including Pumkins apples as a quote in my post. Sorry to confuse ya'll :o

halthepainter
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't wanna seem like I'm elbowing in here, but are some of you guys accidentally calling me Cy? :lol::lol::wave:

Apologies Pumkin.

pumkin54
07-22-2009, 06:20 PM
PS: Thanks very much for your comments, guys. Now I see why posting images here could become addicting. It's really encouraging! :) Especially when I'm self-critical and tend to see mostly the negatives of anything I do. My sister said she thought they were real apples at first, but of course I just wrote off her comments as, "Bah, she's my big sis." lol

oldrockchick
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow.... Finally! I got an OP work done. I started with the underpainting on 1st July before I went away and just finished lol... took nearly as long as Arbury Arch. Still I have an excuse why this took so long.

Because the board is just a couple of mm too big for the scanner it didn't sit right down so it has scanned darker than it is.

Here is my Broken Dam
9" x 12" on oil board (horrid texture- but I dont' have a llot of stuff to work on atm)
Various different makes of OPs, mainly Neos Senns and a few DRs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/179312-OP_July_Broken_Dam_better_scan.jpg

halthepainter
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Mysterious, dark and deep. Well done Lin. The textures look fine to me.

It has a moody, dark, mysterious feel for me.

I specially like your flow of water.

bchlvr
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Decided to try these challenges. I quit putting the white coasters in...I like it better without them. Happy the apples are over...want to try the others.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/74106-ApplesOP.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I like your interpretation of the broken dam, Lin. Great water and a moody day feel to it.

Nicely done, Linn. Good strong color on the apples.

Wow...2 of you, just an n apart....

Pat

halthepainter
07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Wow...2 of you, just an n apart....

Pat

Yes, this is getting confusing: Lin and Linn.

Beautiful job on the apples Linn. or was it Lin? No it was Linn. :)

Lin did the beautiful job on the dam. :D

pumkin54
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow.... Finally! I got an OP work done. I really like your water, especially the little "falls" part. You did it wonderfully.

wildart129
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Pumkin wow, you did a phenomenal job on these apples.

Lin your dam painting is gorgeous. I love the textures and the colors.

Linn I love the bright colors of your apples. I'm looking forward to seeing another painting.

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Art Pie
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
oldrockchick, lovely job on the dam. You have captured the water flow and the wall bricks just right.

Linn, I like your apples. They look deliciously juicy. I could just pick one up and take a bite.

Scarefishcrow
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM

You know, it used to be easy to remember and recognize everyone, but in a way this is a sign of how much the forum has grown due to all the new folks that are excited and participating and most of all ENJOYING THE PROCESS ALONG THE WAY!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have to say it has been hard for me to keep up with so many great contributions dealing with some health issues and a studio construction that took up more of my time than expected!

I have looked through the thread and everything I have seen has been a wonderful and unique interpretation. There are so many at this point if I start trying to mention them all I'm sure I'll miss someone of get names wrong!!!!

It is awesome that so many people have been participating and it is testament to the leadership and positive atmosphere for the forum that Pat as moderator has fostered since its beginning. Thanks for all you have taught us, Pat.

Thanks to all who keep hosting and all of you that contribute art and comments. This is your forum and without you it would be pretty bland.

If I could make a suggestion (not just for you Pumkin, but for everyone) it really helps old geezers like me and Hal and Robert when he's in his fog and Pat when she has one of her "brain cramps" if you put what you would like to be addressed as (whether you username, real name, or whatever) in the first part of your sinature line. It's just a suggestion on my part but it really helps, plus you really don't have to put your name at the bottom of the post if you don't want to or forget!

If you aren't sure how to create a signature line, then check this link out:

Signatures and what they are. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=78&nav=0)

For information on other ways you can customize the options and edit your profile check out this link:

Editing Options in you WC! Profile (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7342727&postcount=1)

Hope these are helpful!

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

pumkin54
07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Ta da!

I just got called chinacat in another thread, so I figured I best hop to it and get a signature for you old folks. :lol:

bchlvr
07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
All of the paintings here are lovely! I was hoping for redder apples like some I've seen. I notice one of mine as a waxy finish to it...I think I used Cray Pas Specialist on that one...guess I should save that for the bottom layers? I am not that familiar with oil pastels at all. How to handle them, different brands, different papers, the works but with practice there is only room for improvement (I hope...lol). Too many names to mention since I started in at the tail end of this but everyone has done a beautiful job with everything they have done. The dam painting looks like a real challenge as well as the fungi...but the dam with the water and all of the landscape. Lin just done hers and I love it! I plan on trying the others...not sure which one I will try tonight...maybe the fungi.

Art Pie
07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I've been putting off doing this one as I'm no good with scenes. This really pushed the boundaries for me, and I found myself outside of my comfort zone.

(Artistic license used for the forest). I could do with some practice, or lessons, in trees. If you know of a good way to give more depth to the forest, please let me know.

I've never painted water before so that was a BIG challenge. It didn't quite turn out as the "gush" of water that I was hoping for, but never mind, I think it still works (unless you tell me different, :) )

All in all, I really enjoyed getting to know OP's a lot better with this work. I think I'm getting the hang of them :thumbsup:

So here it is, my 3rd and final challenge for this month :

The Old Dam

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/190879-damOPs.jpg

Scarefishcrow
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Ta da!

I just got called chinacat in another thread, so I figured I best hop to it and get a signature for you old folks. :lol:

Hal,

I'm glad you finally got a siggie line set up. But you put Pumkin's name in there instead of your own!!!!

You better get that changed or she's gonna' turn up the volume on your hearin' aid til all you hear is FEEDBACK!!!!!

And who are you to call us old folks you old geezer! I think that Nutrisystem weight loss came from brain cells!

Now let's see; oh yeah, now I remember!!!

BILL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/108067-happy3.gif

Scarefishcrow
07-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Ooops. Sorry bout that Pumkin! Nice siggie line! Must have had a "senior moment" as my nieces call them!

Must be nice to young! Thanks for taking time to visit us in the "home"!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, Hal, sorry about those things I said! Must have lifted one too many cabinets today!

:eek: :eek:

BTW, Pumkin, we don't think of it as "old" we prefer to consider it having been "seasoned and tempered by the passage of time; LOTS of time!":smug:

Bill
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
07-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Cy,

That is one good Dam painting!

Art Pie
07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Cy,

That is one good Dam painting!

That is dam good of ya to say so mate :D

bchlvr
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Cy...your painting turned out great! I think you did wonderful with the trees and the water.

I saved this one until last and now that it is 10:30 it will have to wait until tomorrow. I hope to do half as well as you because yours turned out wonderful.

bchlvr
07-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Well this is my last one for today. I saved the landscape until tomorrow as I am not good at landscapes and with oil pastels will probably be worse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2009/74106-Fungi.jpg

Art Pie
07-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Great job on the fungi Linn. Am I right in thinking you started with brown paper? What a good idea. Nice effect on the bark with moss too.

I look forward to seeing your dam tomorrow. I found it the most challenging but also the most rewarding because I learnt so much from pushing the boundaries.

Scarefishcrow
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree with Cy, Linn. Your fungi are are well done!

Very colorful and quite realistic with respect to the "craggy" shapes of them!

I like the simplified background as it doesn't compete for attention with the well developed fungi.

Bill
:clap:

bchlvr
07-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Thank you Cy and Bill. Yes Cy...I used brown paper. I have a few 9X12 sheets of dark colored Colorfix paper left and oil pastels seem to do a good job on it.

bchlvr
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Yaay! I did it! The only other landscape I tried in oil pastel I threw each one away when I started them of about 3...I gave up. Glad I was able to finish this one...maybe I am learning something. Cy...your rocks are much much better than mine. If anyone is interested this is on Begium Mist Wallis.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2009/74106-Dam.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
2 great Dams, Linn and Cy...I really like the color of your fungi, Linn.

Pat

halthepainter
07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
2 great Dams, Linn and Cy...I really like the color of your fungi, Linn.

Pat

Ditto Linn (with two n's) and Cy, great work.

Pat new avatars, nice.

oldrockchick
07-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Cy - your damn is great.
Linn -lovely work on the damn but those Funghi are gorgeous. I love the colouring especially.

bchlvr
07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I used to hate my oil pastels and could have kicked myself in the butt for buying them but now I love them! I am finally getting used to them. It is all I want to do now is paint with oil pastels. I have painted 5 or 6 paintings with them in the last couple of days...so relaxing and they have given me a real interest in keeping involved with painting.

Scarefishcrow
07-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Linn, I love your dam picture.

The emerald color of the water and its translucent appearance are something I have tried for a long time to get and flopped!!! It looks wonderful!!!

Art Pie
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Linn, I love your dam, thought you said you couldn't do landscapes. This proves you were wrong, haha.
You have much more detail than mine, and you managed to get that lovely "gush" of water on the fall gurgling through.

Well done, I feel that we are on a learning journey together here :thumbsup:

bchlvr
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Thank you Bill! What worked for me on the water was using a couple of different greens and some turquoise and blending it together with one of those rubber color shapers I had that I had bought for regular pastels that I hardly ever used but they work good with oil pastels.

Thank you Cy...I don't know why I always paint so much detail instead of being more painterly as they say. Your water is lovely also...and yes we are definitely on a learning journey together with oil pastels.:) :thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
07-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info, Linn!

bchlvr
07-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Welcome Bill. Also I applied the pastel kind of lightly or maybe medium in the water area still leaving paper showing through...just kind of scribbled back and forth accross the paper in wide sideways strokes like if you were coloring and had a large area to fill in and with the Wallis paper I used of course it wouldn't fill it all in. Then I did the same thing with the other colors on top of each other.

Scarefishcrow
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Welcome Bill. Also I applied the pastel kind of lightly or maybe medium in the water area still leaving paper showing through...just kind of scribbled back and forth accross the paper in wide sideways strokes like if you were coloring and had a large area to fill in and with the Wallis paper I used of course it wouldn't fill it all in. Then I did the same thing with the other colors on top of each other.

That's something I constantly have to remind myself of, not to use such a heavy hand!!! I tend to use too much pressure, often!

Bill

pumkin54
07-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Ugh, I tried doing the dam dam (:p) and you guys are lucky I don't have a digital camera! :eek: I finally ripped it up and threw it away. I think I need to practice a bit more before I try something so difficult. Water and rocks and trees all combined into one is just too much. I can't yet effectively do one of those elements by itself! Now I admire even more all of you guys who dared the challenge and successfully pulled it off! Some of you are downright impressive. :clap:

halthepainter
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Pumkin sorry the dam dam caused you problems. Your apples were drop dead gorgeous.

Scarefishcrow
07-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Ugh, I tried doing the dam dam (:p) and you guys are lucky I don't have a digital camera! :eek: I finally ripped it up and threw it away. I think I need to practice a bit more before I try something so difficult. Water and rocks and trees all combined into one is just too much. I can't yet effectively do one of those elements by itself! Now I admire even more all of you guys who dared the challenge and successfully pulled it off! Some of you are downright impressive. :clap:

Pumkin, if you had a digital camera you would probably find out you are a much harsher critic of your own work than anyone else. I still have all sorts of trouble with the same things. Don't judge your work so harshly. Even the greatest musicians hit lots of sour notes before they could play pieces without serious mistakes. Art is the same way. Keep trying and keep the ones you think are bad so you can go back periodically and use them to gaugue your progress. I think you'll find you improve more than you think you do!

Bill

lovin art
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Yes Pumkin, listen to Bill as everything he's said is so true, there where times when i thought the same as you, but i kept at it, as if not to let it defeat me, i also think the tools and papers you use also have a lot to do with the out come of your painting also, but it is your artistry that brings it all together in the end and Bill is so right keep the bad ones it does help to show your progress its worked for me.

Linn & Artpie, wonderful takes on those Dam Dams.:thumbsup:

Sandra.