PDA

View Full Version : Daisies, Plein Air

granddad
06-29-2009, 09:28 PM
You know I am not taking classes anymore so I am relying on the Great instructions I get here. I really do learn alot and I really do appreciate it.
This is 6 x 9 on Wallis paper. Terry Ludwig, Giruarlts, and Nupastels mostly. I include the Ref photo so you will have something to compare it to and offer advise. I went out and did this one in PA in about an hour or so. Had a great time trying to capture the scene, boy does that light change alot in one hour.

I just read a book that stated to treat these as color studys that way if they fail, then I learn either way and not get depressed. It also stated to do 500 pieces in PA and see the improvement. So thats my goal now, it'll take awhile, but I'll get there. So here is my color study and Hard C and C most welcomed. Thanks for looking, James

Dariba
06-29-2009, 10:05 PM
James;

I think you did a terrific job on the daisies in so short a time! My only comment would be that I find the dark upper left corner draws my eye away from the flowers.

PETE K
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
James this is looking very nice.

mudfish
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Agree with Darrell that the composition could stand improvement, but the execution is wonderful. You could use every light color you have in addition to the white.

annette71
06-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Very nice. I especially find the adobe brick interesting and it helps contrast the flowers.

Annette

Donna T
06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi James, it's good to see you out doing a plein air! You picked a difficult subject with these daisies -not only are you doing an up-close view but there didn't seem to be much variation in the lighting. If you try something like this again you could push the colors just a bit to give more of a sense of light and shade. Adding some lavenders or light blues to the flowers that aren't getting as much sunlight and keeping your warmest,lightest lights for the area you pick as your main focus would help add dimension to the whole clump of flowers. I can see where you used darker whites on the right so you're already off to a good start in designing the way the light flows through the painting. You could also use some cooler colors to help make the shaded side of the rock look shadier - and that would also provide color harmony with your other cool colors. Just some ideas for the next one, James. Sometimes if we fuss with our plein air paintings they lose their freshness. I have a bunch of daisies just like this in my garden and I'm too chicken to paint them!

Donna

granddad
06-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I will fix the upper left Darrell. Thanks Donna, I will keep your comments in mind with the next group of flowers I do. Sometimes I forget that I control the painting and instead paint only what I see. Great help here and I really do appreciate the feedback. james

jackiesimmonds
06-30-2009, 09:07 AM
First of all, bravo for going outdoors to tackle this picture! Painting a whole mass of flowers is NOT easy.

Now for a few suggestions which might help you when you tackle a subject like this again.

1. VIEWFINDER. If you cut a rectange out of a piece of card, and hold it up in front of your eyes, moving it near and far from you, you will find that you can isolate a section of the landscape and at the same time, you will get some sense of how it might look as a painting. I see no reason for the orange rock in your pic, for instance, it is distracting and I am drawn to it and dont want to be. Had you used a viewfinder, you might have found this nice composition:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2009/1805-daisys-Ref-W2.jpg

Or some other section of the DAISIES, without needing the rock at all.

2. With respect, can I point out that you have rather generalised your daisies. They are all, virtually without exception, sitting and looking straight at me in your pic, their little golden faces all pointing at me. Perhaps in an hour this is all you could cope with, but what a difference it would have made if you had taken just a few of those 60 minutes to really LOOK at what the daisies were doing and add in a few which really describe exactly what you could see. Take a look at these little drawings, which are all taken from the photo. See how the golden "faces" change position, sometimes you see the whole face, sometimes only a side section, sometimes you see lots of petals in the front and only a few at the back, sometimes you can even see underneath the petals, notice how the flowers bend in different directions, some even "join together" as if all the heads were one, with three stalks. Adding in a few accurate details like this will give your painting much more authenticity.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2009/1805-daisy_drawings.jpg

I hope this helps
Jackie

granddad
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks a lot Jackie for your advise. You know, I got a view finder, I have not idea why I don't used it. I am going to from now on. I guess I need to develop a checklist that reminds me to think and used the things I have learnt, like the veiwfinder. I really look forward to your replys, they are very helpful and instructional. Thanks again, James

kennychaffin
06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Great job on this!