PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla on Velour-white/tortie point ragdoll-first velour!

LisaMarie42
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
This has been not as fun as I had hoped. This cat is very unusual looking so it it is a difficult task, not to mention trying to figure out the velour. She looks sideways because that is her pose. I could use some c and c of any kind, I guess-this is definitely for learning purposes only! :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2009/83364-IMG_1808.JPG

Donna T
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I think she looks very good so far! I've never done anything on velour so it would be a learning process for me too. I think I remember reading that you're not supposed to smack it to get the loose dust off because sometimes the whole painting can come off, but I could be mistaken. Keep up the good work!

Donna

LisaMarie42
06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Donna,
I did try smacking it into the trash :) just to check, but it didn't come off, so it is okay, I think. I am not sure that I will be able to pull it off with the pose since I cut too much of the left of her off, but I am still looking at it as a learning piece, I guess.
Thanks for the compliments-I think I will try LaCarte next time around!

DAK723
06-28-2009, 09:36 PM
This is looking great so far! Keep going!

Don

LisaMarie42
06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks Don, I fixed the right eye, it looks a lot better :) I will post an update tomorrow!

PETE K
06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
this looks great cant wait to see it finished.

LisaMarie42
06-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks Pete! :)

Susan Jenkins
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I think this is coming along very nicely! I just did a cat with a unique pose... and it was my first cat portrait. I remember thinking it was looking terrible at first, but then it just started coming together... (that happens a lot with my paintings!)
I did a WIP of my cat portrait if you want to check it out.. I think the thread is just called, "Cat Portrait".

Keep up the great work... I bet it will come out much better than you are thinking! It's really a cute pose!
:) Susan

MJGresko
06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I think you are off to a good start. It looks like you have a much lighter touch than I did and may work to your advantage if you are going to use pastel pencils. What brand of pastels are you using?

LisaMarie42
06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Susan, I will search under Cat Portrait and see if I can find it.

Marcia, I am using CarbOthellos, and some Unisons for the background which is even more frustrating than the cat. NuPastels seem a bit too hard for the velour, and the softies work but you have to rub them in to the paper nap. My husband seems to like it, although I am VERY frustrated with the paper. My next paper to try is the LaCarte Pastel card. I wish I could make this velour work better to my advantage. Oh, I am using a few Terry Ludwig darks here and there. As has been said before, the medium hardness seems to work best on velour. Here is an update. Still frustrated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2009/83364-IMG_1809.JPG

LisaMarie42
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Another photo update-think I will take a break and come back to her after awhile, and see what I can see :) Any c and c's at this point are definitely appreciated! Thanks for looking!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2009/83364-IMG_1810.JPG

LisaMarie42
06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Here is the point I am at now, also trying to decide whether to face her this way or to turn sideways. I am struggling with the background as it seems to be difficult on the velour, but I am just going to blend the colors I am using more and try to finish a plain background that complements her coloring. C and Cs highly appreciated! Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2009/83364-IMG_1813.JPG

LisaMarie42
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Or I could show it this way (not sure if I will frame this or not...)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2009/83364-IMG_1814.JPG

Donna T
06-30-2009, 05:46 PM
She is looking so good, such a sweet face and sensitive eyes. I kind of like her in the original upright pose. My cat turns his head like that when I call his name and only turns all the way around if food is involved. :) If you lay her down wouldn't you have to totally redo the body because the legs and shoulders would be very different?

Donna

LisaMarie42
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
True, Donna, although sometimes cats do lie (lay?) with their front paws under them, but you are probably right, it might not look right. It was really funny when she turned her head all the way around, I should post the reference shot. Aren't they just so sweet? It seems I never will run out of material with them around :) Thanks for your nice and helpful comments!!

Tracy Lang
06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Lisa, she is so sweet. I think your background is coming along nicely and the colors really complement your kitty. It could be that the softies are filling up the tooth of the velour. Do you have any medium sticks like rembrandt or giraults in your possession? They may help you blend.

I like both poses! If you wanted her on the side, you could just add some of your darker background colors underneath.

Tracy

LisaMarie42
06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Those are some great suggestions, thanks, Tracy! I think I have a few rembrandts to try. We are still debating on the pose! :) Thanks for looking and your nice comments!

Jenine
07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
She looks so pretty. I like the first original pose. It looks more interesting. My cats would look at me like that and I always thought it was so sweet.

jshelby
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Love the kitty. You did a great job!