MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-26-2002/10676_Melon3.jpeg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Melon with Grapes
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 14/18
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is another test upload of a recent still life image. If it ends up too tiny, it will be dumped and I will try again. Thanks for your comments.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
None, especially. I just hope that it's large enough to see this time.

Christine Mallaband
08-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Hi , just looked at your picture, but as I have a small monitor , and your image is little its very difficult to see,
How have you saved the image, and what size are you posting, I'm sure it could be bigger. if you have a paintshop 6 or 7 programme, open the picture in that, go to image, and on the drop down menu click image size. a box should open with width and height options, select pixels instead of the default centimeters or inches. (the maximum picture size you can post is 500 pixelsX500 pixels).

If you have set constrain proportions, then your image will be scaled accuratley- you can click this off if you want to change either size individually.... I am posting a picture, width 250 pixels (the height is less than that, to see what size it comes out as. I will then post the same image at width 500- hopefully this will show the difference

Fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Christine Mallaband
08-27-2002, 04:49 PM
That was 500 pixels, this is 250 hope this helps:

Mary Kathryn Massey
08-28-2002, 10:51 AM
hi christine! it's so good to have a life save:) i don't have the software you mentioned, but i do have adobe LE 5.o and photoshop. the images are scanned at 2400 dpi and that makes the huge as you know. then i have been reducing the dpi to 600 which still makes the whole thing too big. if i understand you, the best way to keep a good copy but make it small enough is to reduce the pixels to 500?? could i leave my dpi at a high level? i will try to repost and see what i come up with. even your larger post was accepted so it still must be within the 100k guidelines for posting in this forum.

wish me luck. thanks for your help.

mary

Mary Kathryn Massey
08-28-2002, 10:59 AM
Hope that this uploads.

Christine Mallaband
08-28-2002, 07:23 PM
I tend to keep the dpi in my images down to about 300 to 600 depending on the image, it seems to work, I posted some things to other web sites but if you look at them closely you can see the pixels. The Wet canvas programme seems more interested in width and height rather than dpi- I suppose it would be worth checking with a moderator if you are bothered.
Thanks for posting the larger image!
lol
Chris M-B

Karen Mc
08-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi There - I took a look at your site and am very impressed with your ability to show reflected light. Do you have any pointers? I see you use blurred edges to show shine. Do you tend to use specific colours to add to the glow (will you share some ideas...)? Are you using transparent layers? It is hard to guess technique due to the image size. The site refers to dutch painting, I believe they tended to use multi layers...

Christine Mallaband
08-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Just had a quick look at your online portfolio!
I do like Rainy field,
I wish I could explain easily how I get reflections, I tend to paint out from peoples faces, or down and across from the top left hand corner!
I dont really paint in layers too much, and dont use glazes, basically I think Im a bit like Rolph Harris , the mad australian painter, in that I try and get stuff down really fast, what I do seem to have is a good visual memory for things, so I can imagine how a reflection would appear, I think that comes from boredom as a child, so I used to imagine how things worked. Sometimes if Im really stuck I will narrate to myself what I need to do... The downspout from the gutter would be at that end of the building etc. etc. so Im trying to logically interpret how something would look.
Also I enjoy working from photos, and can amalgamate images if say one face is good on one photo, and another is good on the second. As I say I cannot really explain, Ive always been able to paint and draw, but all my trick is just practice, and using acrylic cos they are fast!
lo, Chris:clap:

Mary Kathryn Massey
08-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Hi Karen!

I wasn't sure if you were addressing your questions to me or to Christine as I have a reference to Dutch painting on my web site.

Yes, I definitely do the paintings in multiple sittings, but I don't underpaint or sketch a drawing to compose. I mass in the objects,( painting a little smaller than life size,) then slowly refine the painting until it moves beyond the literal objects. That's the tough part. The concept of light is an important one for me and I try to hold on to that concept throughout the painting. As far as any specific effects, such as light, reflected light, etc., I use colours that remain in one family of colour. So if the melon is a certain orange, then I use colours around it that work with that orange since that's the center of interest. I would use a certain blue, etc., so that the final painting looks related. I paint not by steps, not be theories, but by actual relationships with respect to value, colour, size, etc., Does any of that make sense? I don't know if that's much of a pointer, but if you still have questions, let me know.

Thanks for your viewpoint and comments.:)

Mary

Christine Mallaband
08-30-2002, 11:59 AM
Hi your response makes more sense than mine!
And sorry Karen for getting the wrong end of the stick!!!!!
Chris M-B

cobalt fingers
09-09-2002, 09:05 AM
The grapes sitting in the "vee" appear to float abit. I'd also like to see the curves at the lower right to "peaches?" to be a little more defined and maybe seperated from the other fruit.

Theoverall feel is very nice-I'm just looking really hard at a pro level work.