PDA

View Full Version : Pastel or Mix Media

granddad
06-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok, you do a watercolor or acrylic underpainting and then do the pastel painting over it. Should you call it a pastel painting or a mix media painting. I had heard that if its 85% pastel, then its a pastel painting. Then I see someone like Sally Strand say that her paintings are mix media. Maybe she is using something that I cannot identify but by looking at the paintings, they look like pastels. What are your thoughts on this subject? Thanks for the advise. James

DAK723
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Most shows that I am aware of stipulate an 80% pastel guideline, so if you cover 80% of the underpainting with pastel, its considered a pastel for show purposes. If for some reason you want to call it, or categorize it as, mixed media, then it seems to qualify for that, too!

Don

Deborah Secor
06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with Don.

The clearest definition I've seen of a pastel painting with an underpainting is: you can cover 100% of the paper with another medium like watercolor, as long as you then cover at least 80% of the paper with pastel.

Perhaps Sally's paintings are not 80% or more... or it's just a simple choice on her part.

Deborah

Donna A
06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
And I thoroughly agree with Don and Deborah!

Artists have used all manner of underpainting materials---from a fully-developed charcoal drawing; washes in watercolor, acrylic or oil; light paintings in WC or acrylic; as well as underpaintings in pastel, some wet and 'washed' or brushed in with alcohol, gamsol (or other thinner) or water---or simply rubbed in. And some folks make great use of colored paper, letting various amounts of it show through. Best wishes!!! Donna ;-}