PDA

View Full Version : Oldies and Goodies- BENJAMIN PATERSSEN- June26-July 10 -

azulparsnip
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Ho --- Benjamin Paterssen.......someone I normally would not know anything about............ is our featured artist for the next two weeks........please feel free to do any medium you like........maybe even do one of your own town in his style. I'm not really drawn to this style but find that often if I discipline myself to paint/draw something "dry" that something invariably opens up to me. I learn something or enjoy the simple pleasures of the hobby in itself... untainted by my drive to create something in line with my preconcieved bent.....Kinda walk a mile in someone elses shoes type deal.

Here is a brief biography and a link to images.........

Benjamin Paterssen was born in 1750 Varberg, Sweden, son of a customs' scribe. He studied in Goteborg in the studio of the painter S. Frick. In the late 1770s he traveled throughout Poland, Lithuania and Latvia, in 1784 lived and worked in Riga. In 1787 he settled in St. Petersburg where he lived to the end of his life. Paterssen worked in portraiture and genre painting, but is most famous for landscapes and cityscapes. He fulfilled about 100 views of St. Petersburg, among them 33 paintings, others watercolors and engravings. In 1798 Peterssen became a member of the Stockholm Academy of Arts, where he exhibited his works many times.
The artist died in 1815 in St. Petersburg, Russia.

link - http://www.abcgallery.com/P/paterssen/paterssen.html

trafford
06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
It's funny, Robin. I look at his paintings and all that empty sky, and I'm missing something. Now I realize it's more buildings. I'm sure he is painting what he saw, but my head says that empty sky is for country scenes and I could use a skyscraper or two. Completely irrational. :lol:

Anyway, I think Mr Paterssen is going to be an interesting challenge. :cool:

artbyjune
06-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Well, this is definitely something different!! I don't know this artist. I will have to find out more...and if I have time, I will tackle a 'townscape'. Not my usual subject to be sure.

I think it will be a very interesting oldies project!!

azulparsnip
06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
yes, it is a definite departure from what we have been doing lately......

Janet - all that open sky does seem odd

June - a quick visit to town , maybe you'll meet Johnnie Town Mouse or the Tailor of Glouschester:)

Kurlie
07-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Just, commenting on the sky question...there might not have been taller buildings in the era represented....and the attention to perspective seems to out weigh the sky. I am a newbie and might be totally off target!!

trafford
07-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi, Kurlie. No, you are not off target. I realize that there probably were no taller buildings at that time, it's just the strangness of seeing all that sky, where these days we hardly see it in a city. Kind of nice though.

Glad you stopped by...please join us again. :heart:

azulparsnip
07-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I too feel this picture is odd but wonder if I just associate that type of archectiture with more city around it. Also now that I think each of the buildings are very different. Hummm.
Haven't gotten much done on this - hope to get something sketched out soon.

trafford
07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I've looked at Mr. Paterssen's paintings for quite a while, and I'm not sure of what approach to take. I'd like to try something, but I'm not very good at this type of painting...which makes me want to try anyway. I've the rest of the week to think about it. :heart:

artbyjune
07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/106623-paterssen1a6kb.jpg

Original is called......The Neva Embankment by the Senate. 1801. Watercolors, pen-and-ink line. by B. Paterssen.

:p

Here's a quick go at part of one of Paterssen's sea scenes. I used ink to outline and then watercolour on Bristol. 5 by 7 ins.

The little man at the front...I thought he had his back to us but then I peered closer and I think he is facing towards us so I changed him..so maybe he's not that successful as a figure.

In fact, not really a very good attempt.

Still fun to try something totally different to my usual.:wave:

P.S. I don't really fancy this artist's work...personal taste.

azulparsnip
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
June - this is a nice go....you put in alot of thought to the boats - I really like what you did......I like the way the yellow melds into blue .... it carries your mark nicely.

artbyjune
07-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Many thanks Robin. Bit of a different subject matter for me. Also. watercolour on Bristol paper/board is my first go at this surface. Others seem to like using it, but I'm not sure about it...

azulparsnip
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Here's mine - not quite done......rather rushed on this too..... ugh - those round black marks are on the scanner......must clean it off....

artbyjune
07-11-2009, 02:25 AM
That looks really interesting, Robin. I love the people going about their business.

gakinme
07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm back. Now that I am partially moved and my injured finger out of bandages, I'll give this a try even though it's late.

June, nice yellow hue for everything! And the boats are all very well done. I like the red pen you used.

Robin, you actually did not use penwork in these two? Haha...so not you!! But nice quick sketches there. I actually like the softness to the buildings even when you outline them in light gray.

gakinme
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Here is my piece with ball pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2009/86669-paterssen_800.JPG

azulparsnip
07-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Oh, Sandra......I sooooo like your ball point pen rendition.....The lines remindes of the ole masters drawings. Don't you just love the composition skills they had. The horizon line then the diagonals and curve of boats gives me a sense of security - identifying with the woman standing on the dock.

And you have second guessed me. I mentioned that the above is not finished.....well the pen work is coming soon. :cat:

What happened to your finger? Funny, I have the worst hangnail infection ever-middle finger of my right hand. Even the two bordering fingers ache in sympathy. Am wrapping it with charcoal powder poultices at night. This releives the red soreness considerably. But I am such a wienie about it sometimes.:wink2:

gakinme
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I was moving boxes and my right index finger got caught under a metal shelfing. 7 stitches later at the second joint but luckily it didn't cut into the nerve under on the palm side or the bone or it would be incapacitated for life. It's fine now after 2 weeks. Charcoal powder. Wow, I didn't know charcoal powder is only not only for drawing. Hope it gets better soon.

Okay, I look forward to see the completion of your piece. Your penwork is always dazzling!

The old masters do have great compositions. That's why I appreciate them more and more these days. I'm studying Peter Bruegel's work now from his pen drawing. Roll eyes. Also very good.

azulparsnip
07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
yyyyouch! But sounds like it could have been alot worse.

Peter Brugel is good stuff. Maybe he would be good on the oldies list.

well here it is with the pen work but dazzling it is not......

gakinme
07-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Robin, it does give a different feel when you put pen to it. You are using sepia color? It's interesting to see how you put pen in some places and not entirely on a building. It's totally new to me to see it worked this way.

trafford
07-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Good work Sandra and Robin. I thought this artist was very difficult, but you've captured him. :cool: