PDA

View Full Version : Frog Finished

crumbedbrains
08-26-2002, 04:52 AM
Thought I'd just post the finished painting (finally!!) of the WIP I did. The image here is a lot clearer than others as it's taken off a scan.
Cheers
Crumbedbrains

labang
08-26-2002, 06:21 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! the finished painting is magnificent. Now I'm looking forward to your next one.

Elly

Jakeally
08-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Wonderful.....congratulations on a job very well done. Excellent result.
I have enjoyed every minute of your WIP....thank you so much:D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TeAnne
08-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Just exquisite, you may come and pic me off the floor now. I'm glad too that you left the dead leaves in and NO CROP?

Inkling
08-26-2002, 08:22 AM
This is a really wonderful piece. Your work is amazing! I also really enjoyed your wip. :)

maverick
08-26-2002, 09:21 AM
:crying: If I was an emotional person, I'd be crying right now. This is awesome. And I think the dead leaf really adds to the realism. But you know, even though your WIP was very educational, it still looked like magic as each detail appeared! Thanks for showing us how you work.

P.S. That frog looks so slippery, my brain keeps telling me this isn't pastel!

P.P.S. I just noticed the water drop. Nice touch.

TainQ2
08-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Beautiful! You do wonderful work. Rendering, use of color and composition on the mark. Can't wait to see more.

Jose'

jinxy
08-26-2002, 01:49 PM
oh my, oh my. had to have the family see this one, stunning, thought it had to be a photo it is truly great! dee

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
08-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Thanks for looking Elly, Chris, TeAnne, Inkling, Maverick, Jose' and Deana.

TeAnne - No Crop LOL!! I ended up working out crop theoretically (see post in Composition and Design)
Maverick - Yeah I put quite a few drops here and there in the end (six if I count right).

Thanks again
Cheers
Crumby

ceEllicott
08-26-2002, 06:45 PM
wow

you need to loosen up --- you're scaring me.
I couldn't make something that realistic to save my life....

truly amazing

cheryl

CarlyHardy
08-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Awesome! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the process and the finished painting is just too excellent! Your realism with pastels is unbelievable...and I saw it happening!!
carly

Valleydale
08-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Dear Crumbed,

I'm new to Wet Canvas and one of the first channels I was lucky enough to land on featured your magnificent frog in progress. I've been following its evolution with great interest and awe. I have been trying to teach myself the ins and outs of pastels for a short while now---but long enough to know that it's one of the more challenging mediums.

How do you achieve such a high degree of realism with such a bulky medium? Do you primarily use pastel pencils? Nupastels?
Sharpen frequently? I've got quite a few soft pastels---Senniliers, Unisons, Schmincke, a couple of Winsor and Newtons, but with the exception of a basic set of Rembrandts, nothing that will hold a good edge. I do, come to think of it, have a few Nupastels that I use to block in and avoid plugging up the tooth of my paper prematurely, but not many. Pastel is a wonderful and totally maddening medium, and I'm absolutely fascinated with it. When I see work such as yours, I'm even more excited with its possibilites. I've been focusing on loose, buttery, painterly technique, mainly because I've been prone to obsessing over detail and turning out extremely tight pencil drawings. How do you manage to do such a highly detailed work without it looking tight? I hope you are justifiably very proud of how this piece came out. All I can say is, "More, More, More!"
:clap:

arizona
08-27-2002, 01:44 AM
valleydale, I second your question.

crumblebrains, how DO you get those super crisp lines? I applaud your superb painting. Will you do another demo? Pleeasse!

Elinor
08-27-2002, 10:00 AM
He is gorgeous. I never thought I would say that about a frog :)
Such incredible beautifull color and so alive. I swear he's going to jump off that branch any second.

I was away while most of the demo was going on but just went through it all. I am so impressed with your work.

Birdie
08-27-2002, 06:42 PM
:clap: :clap: wonderful:clap: :clap:

birdie:rolleyes:

sidhartha11
08-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
Thought I'd just post the finished painting (finally!!) of the WIP I did. The image here is a lot clearer than others as it's taken off a scan.
Cheers
Crumbedbrains

Incredible drawing. This is a Pastel artist's year long class in the guise of one drawing. I will use it over and over again to learn things ..
Thanks ...

stealth
08-27-2002, 10:33 PM
look's fantastic,very realistic and artisticly done.:cool:

LadyPearl
08-28-2002, 12:16 AM
I remember stumbling across your frog demo a while back and I guess I didnít realize it was done with pastel. I jump all over the boards so I forget where I read stuff sometimes. Well anyway, what I wanted to ask is, do you use pastel pencils? I have been painting with pastels for 13 years and have the biggest set you can buy but I often get frustrated because its hard to achieve tiny details with the sticks. Iv been meaning to purchase some pastel pencils but just havenít did it yet. I guess Iíll have to buy a large set of them?

olika
08-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Thank you so much, Crumby, for all your time and effort that you have put in to givingus the WIP. This piece is absolutely amazing as is the painting of the Cockatoos. It is very hard to believe that is it pastel. I have just posted my first pastel and cannot even conceive the thought of being able to paint like that! I agree with so many others that it would be nice to actually see you doing the work on the painting. I find that the hardest thing to do is to know what exactly to do with the pastels. Someone had said earlier that pastels are bulky and I most definitely have to agree *sigh* :) These are soft pastels? (as in chalk?) Have you ever worked in oil pastels? Do you sell your paintings ? Hmmm enough of the questions eh? This is an excellent painting all around and thanks again for it ! :D:D

mmdm
08-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Amazing! :clap:

crumbedbrains
08-29-2002, 06:06 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for looking and for all the wonderful comments . . I do appreciate them . .truly.

No . . I haven't been ignoring you all . .I've been away for a couple of days (to a place near Weipa on the northern tip of Australia . . quite remote). Was to be there only one night but missed the plane back . .but another night didn't bother me.
Got some good pics of a python we came across . .'bout 2.5m (or about 9 ft) long . . . bloody beudy!!
Anyway, that's my excuse.LOL

Valleydale: used a combo of hard and soft of various brands . .so no specifics here but I do sharpen the hard pastels to a point and the soft pastels to a flat end (so I can use the edge)

Ladypearl: No I don't normally use pastel pencils as I can't figure out how to sharpen them . .they keep breaking on me so I gave up on them.

Olika: no I don't use oil pastels (don't have any . .but they look too greasy for me . .lol). as above they're a combo of hard and soft. Yes I do sell them . . frustrating at the moment 'cause the gallery I sell them through can't get any on the walls as the last few sold before they even got to the framers . . . nice problem to have though . . not complaining.l

Cheers
and thanks again
Crumby

Dima
08-29-2002, 06:02 PM
Just incredible, Crumby, how you achieve this level of detail in pastels.

Dick

Dark_Shades
08-31-2002, 05:03 AM
Hope it is ok to reply as I am a newbie .......

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!

Dark_Shades
08-31-2002, 05:04 AM
Hope it is ok to reply as I am a newbie .......

and my first response....... ohhh eck, that went twice - sorry

... well its well worth TWO responses

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!