PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pastels Intro Set (with Subscription)

Bett Bee
06-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Greetings!

I am thinking of subscribing to the Pastel Journal - partly because of the introductory set of pan pastels that comes with the sub. Can anyone tell me exactly what is in that set? I would really appreciate it.

Magazine subscriptions are generally not in my student budget but if they come with pastels:heart: well, that might change :-)

Thanks, folks,

Bett

Studio-1-F
06-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what is in that set? I would really appreciate it.
Hi, Bett! I think the "set" is just one pan (one color) plus a few applicator tools. (Not sure how they decide which color to send you. Probably just the luck of the draw.)

You can e-mail them and verify this: [email protected]

If you'd like to try out pans, I suggest the 'Landscape' set of 20 (http://www.dickblick.com/products/panpastel-artists-painting-pastels-sets/), as a real nice starter set of colors.

Jan

saramathewson
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
That is right Jan. I got one pan with my subscription. It is permanent red shade. It comes with some small applicators and sponges. I haven't used it as it is hard to think of a way to use just one pan.

Sara

CM Neidhofer
06-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I got a Permanent Red also.

Kathy Gray
06-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Anywhere you use red, you can use the red pan pastel. I have the landscape and portrait sets and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new dark set.
I'll bet you will really have fun with them.

Kathy

Bett Bee
06-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for the info!

B

saramathewson
06-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Bett,
The Pastel Journal is a wonderful magazine. You wil not regret getting it. I need to renew my subscription. I look forward to getting it in the mail every two months:)

Sara

Colorix
06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Just to chime in: Yes, the PJ is a great magazine! Well worth the money, even without gift. (I got a special about framing as a gift, but even one pan would've been great, I'd love to try them.)

Charlie

robertsloan2
06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I got a Permanent Green Shade for my freebie and am very happy since I use a lot of greens doing landscapes!

You can get by with just the five color Starter set since Pans mix like they're oil paints and they're well chosen primaries with black and white for tints and shades. I started with the 20 color Painters to have all the hues (and added Chromium Green which wasn't in it) but later bought the Tints set and Shades sets for convenience.

Whatever you start with, you won't regret it. Pan Pastels are awesome. Also you'll never regret getting the magazine. I subscribed for two years last time I renewed because I love getting it every month.

gingersnap
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
love the magazine but received a few issues but the pan sample never arrived.... highly recommend the magazine in any case.

Donna A
06-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi, Bett! I thoroughly agree with Sara, Robert, Charlie and gingersnap--and others! The Pastel Journal is a great magazine! I also agree with Robert that the 20-piece Painting Set is the best to get if you are only beginning to use them! You do get all 18 pure colors plus black and white---and you can mix anything and everything!!!

Later you can add the 20 Tints and the 20 Shades and then the soon-to-be-introduced-AND-MARVELOUS 20 darkest darks (which I got to play with at the IAPS Convention when I demoed for them!

You can use these with stick pastel or on their own! A lot of folks have bought the PanPastel to use as underpainting color---and that is what I thought they would be great for! But once mine arrived, I very, very quickly found out that they were great for entire paintings!!! Yum!!!

You might want to take a look at the thread "Having a BALL with PanPastels!" which covers huge amounts of things about using the PanPs!!!

These are wonderful and I am soooo thankful that we now have them! Enjoy!!! Donna ;-}

CatherineJ
07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
The Pastel Journal is great!!! i got a red sample- not much use to me really- can't see how to use one. Get the subscription anyway- it's worth it.

Bett Bee
07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and info, folks! I appreciate it.

B

Bett Bee
07-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Dear helpful people,

One more question.

I can't at this point afford the pan pastels. I also can't get the subscription, it's just too much at this point. Life drawing session fees and chunky charcoal and giant newsprint pads come first! :-

(Why oh why are student's and artist's supplies so expensive? Grrr!)

But what about using the pastel shaper and then using the dust to paint a la pan pastels? Has anyone tried this? I'd love to hear a comparison of say Unison pastels ground up to the pan pastels. I already have a lot of Unisons and would love to try them this way, but of course am unable to compare.

Regards,

Bettina

Donna A
07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
You might try this yourself, Bettina---and report back to all of us! The special PanPastel tools do make great differences! They are NOT make-up sponges, though some folks at first mistakenly think so! Still---there are a lot of qualities in the PanPs that let them work the way they do. But You should be able to make some lovely things happen with what you have suggested! Very best wishes! Donna ;-}