PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces for acrylics

animal
11-20-2000, 11:23 AM
For the past little while I have been using canvas boards, but was wondering if there is something better to paint acrylics on. I think I will use canvas boards just for practice pieces.

nancymae
11-21-2000, 12:53 AM
Hi animal!!

What's soo neat about acrylics is that you can practically paint on ANYTHING with them...from stretched canvas...to watercolor paper. Also, try some masonite boards, gesso them..and paint on them. They also make good paint to use on wood. I have seen many acrylic scenes painted on oars, or slices of wood. Try it all!!! Good luck!!

Nancy

cuttlefish
12-14-2000, 06:05 PM
You can use just about any surface with acrylics that is not oily, which would include all traditional painting supports except oil-primed canvas. It helps also if the surface has some absorbency. You can paint on glass, but it will peel off easily. Also, certain plastics have a strong affinnity for acrylic paint and will form a strong bond with the paint even when smooth.

Little Bear
12-15-2000, 10:20 AM
And dont forget cloth is cool to paint on also!

Kevin M
12-15-2000, 06:34 PM
Hi Animal,

As has already been stated, acrylics can be applied to just about anything. In recent years I have grown fond of 1/4" MDF which has the advantage of not needing stiffeners even in quite large panels. The surface needs a light sand since it is slightly too smooth initially. I always found stiffening large panels a pain.