PDA

View Full Version : May Be On T V News Tomorrow

PETE K
06-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh don't know what to do and shakeing like anything. our county city hall asked if i would put some paintings in there new city hall i would be able to sell them. so i agreed. and i was to meet the lady tomarrow at 11:00am. now just about 3:30 pm i got a call and said they wanted to let me know that the chanel 12 (Eye Withness News, Jacksonville FL) was going to be there to do a piece on hanging my painting in the new city hall. I think I lost it. they wanted to let me know so i wouldn't be supprised when i got there. I sure wish they didn't. and just supprised me.

Dougwas
06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Great news Pete. Just remember one thing when the TV lights are on... BREATHE! Everything will be fine and you will look back at it and wonder why you were so nervous. Good luck and have fun. It's a great opportunity.

Doug

LisaMarie42
06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Pete,
I know exactly how you feel, I have been on TV a few times-DON'T panic, easy for me to say, right. Like Doug said, breathe, and one thing that really helped me was to tell the reporter before you go on how nervous you are, and normally they will keep it short for your comments and do most of the talking. You won't come off as nervous as you feel. Pretend you are just chatting with him or her and don't worry about the camera.
Break a leg!! :) (show biz for good luck, you know :)
Let us know how it goes!
ps remember to smile!

bchlvr
06-16-2009, 10:01 PM
That's great news Pete!!

DAK723
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Pete,

You'll be great!! Just hang the paintings straight!! :D

Don

PETE K
06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Doug, Lisa, Linn and Don, thanks guys and girls, it's will a lot better when it's over. we had an opening for our gallery going back, now i can talk. most people can't get me to shut up so they say. and a local cable crew was there to film the opening, they went around interviewing people, evrything was ok they came to me and i was ok they turned on the camera and put it in my face and nothing came out except ah,aha,ah ah ah ah. the whole time that camera was on, i sure hope it won't happen the same tomarrow. this is prime time/ big time tv.
Lisa, you said break a leg. does glasses count I broke mine getting into my car at the store just a little while ago. bent them in half. when i tried to strighten them back the lens pop out. well i gess i'm half way there.

annette71
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Speak from the heart Pete, and you'll be fine!
Good luck tomorrow!

Annette

Paula Ford
06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
You'll do fine Pete! Have fun... it's all about you!!

PETE K
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Annette, you say speak from the heart and things will be fine, but speaking means it got to come out of my mouth, thats where the problem lies.

Thank you Paula I sure hope so.

DFGray
06-17-2009, 01:26 AM
you'll be great!
they'll chalk it up to you being the artist

Colorix
06-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Congratulations!

Talk to the guys/women that crew the thing. The cameras don't even exist, they are a boring installation. Besides, they *tape* the thing, you're not talking in front of millions, you're just talking to a dumb tape. So why talk to an electromagnetic recording device? Talk to the journalist, s/he's a human being with a mind.

And, remember who your *real* friends are, those who loved you before you got famous. ;-)

Now, don't break that leg either. Breathe deep, calmly, and say: "I can do this, I enjoy doing this, and I get better at it every second."

It'll not even give you your "15 minutes", they may tape for an hour, and then cut it down to 7 seconds.

Breathe.

Charlie

Donna T
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Gosh, Pete, what a great opportunity to get your name and face and art out in the world! Sorry about your glasses ... maybe if you can't see the camera it will help? I'm blind as a bat without mine and would probably talk to the wall. I was interviewed a few months ago at a gallery where my pastel was awarded a prize. All I remember is talking too fast! Thankfully, there was another artist interviewed after me and he was wasn't nervous at all. It was just a small segment on a local station and I took my friend's advice and never even watched it. So I'll just imagine I was calm and professional when I know I was a babbling mess! :lol: Good luck - you'll do fine!!!

Donna

PETE K
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Charlie, thanks so much, well on my way in just a few min. Charlie i will keep saying i know i can. than when i fall apart and make a fool of myself, well what could i say it's me.

Donna, that what i'm a fresd of being a babling mess, done it once. why not twice. where a heck of alot more people will see. thank you!

LisaMarie42
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Pete LOL, usually when I break something it is good luck for me, superstition, yes, life of an artist? Perhaps.
I think if you focus on one or two sentences of something fairly easy to remember, it would help, and please ask the reporter beforehand what he/she will ask you so you can have kind of a pat answer down, so if and when you get the stage fright, you can just repeat what you practiced in advance, if this makes sense. Will make it so much easier and you will appear more relaxed. Nothing wrong with rehearsing, but try to appear off the cuff and not robotic. You will do great! and it will be over before you know it!!
We will be waiting to hear how it went...:)

gingersnap
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
pete,
please let us know how this goes. i thoroughly enjoyed this thread with my morning coffee. i am sure you will do great! what an honor to be asked and a great opportunity. the viewers are already seeing a piece of you when they are looking at your art! good luck and congratulations! ginger

Lisa Fiore
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Great--I'll get to watch you on tv!! I'm sure you'll be fantastic. Did they tell you during which newscast they will be airing it? How exciting!! :clap:

Deborah Secor
06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Hope it's going (or has gone) well, Pete! Great opportunity. I've gotten nervous under lights, too. I asked the cameraman to turn the lights on before the filming started and that way I didn't know whether it was 'on' or not. It worked one time and helped me a lot. :o

Lisa, you need to report on how he does from the watcher's point of view! :)

Deborah

Adriana Meiss
06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Pete,
This is great! Congratulations!
I used to be really scared of speaking in public. Eventually I realized that being prepared, takes some of that fear away.
Practice responding to several possible questions. If the topic is left up to you, talk about the things you like about pastels (how long you been using the medium etc, why pastels). Keep in mind that not many people know much about this medium so, you're the expert here and this knowledge might boost your confidence.
Good luck and do not forget to breathe.

PETE K
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
OK it's over don't know how well i did. some of the paople there said it went well. if anyone is interested it's going to air on the 5:30 show they said ch 12 Eye Withness News Jacksonville FL. and theyalso said it will be on there web sight www.firstcoastnews.com I also had a flat on the way there this morning. had to get my wif to come and get me. we just made it on time. and the tvcrew was late so it worked out. thanks all for your support.

PETE K
06-17-2009, 07:23 PM
well Lisa, did you get to see the whole 15 seconds it that. I can't find it on the there websight. but you could see a cupple paintings, very poorely( Glare on them) behind the man in the white shirt on the police layoff. Well my 15 seconds of fame is over.

rasberry
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
well how exciting... hey even 15 seconds is great :-) you should be very proud.. and even prouder that you got through the experience ok! i wish i could have seen you on tv!!
Naomi

LisaMarie42
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Pete,
Could you possible send us a link to the exact page as I am having trouble locating it on the news website.
I think Elizabeth was the one locally who was going to watch it-or does she go by Lisa too?

PETE K
06-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I can't find it either. was trying to find a phone # to call, will let y'all know what i find out.

LisaMarie42
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Let us know, I've got my popcorn here and waitin' !!:wave:

Colorix
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Finally I found the Police Layoff, and saw some really pretty glare on some glass in frames behind a guy talking. Pete, you're *famous*!!!!

Charlie

PETE K
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Charlie, you saw the glare wasn't it great. the phone lines are shut down there now. i don't see the story. but it was on reg. tv. maybe it wasn't good enought for there websight. that man in the white shirt came in after me and explained what they were doing for the artist and making there place look better. than they went to the police story. and everthing was over.
Lisa maybe you need alot more popcorn it seems to be a long intermision. they even went to each one of my 6 painting and showed the on the air.

LisaMarie42
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Do you have a link for us Charlie???
I want to see this!!!

bchlvr
06-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Pete...I hunted and couldn't find it either.

Lisa Fiore
06-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Darn it Pete, I missed it. We had a big thunderstorm pop up around 5 and it messed up my "Direct tv" for a while (worst thing about satellite!) Crap. I'm going to search the web site later today--driving the kids to swim team in a few minutes--looks like we'll be dodging storms again. I really hope I can watch it on the web--even if it is only "15 seconds"--I think it is still an honor!

Colorix
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Sorry, no link, the clip isn't there today anymore. Really, you couldn't see his paintings at all, it was simply framed glare in glass.

Pete, that is fame and journalism, what you experienced. They *say* this and that, and then it all fizzles out. The good thing is that you'll never be nervous about it again. :-)

Charlie

LisaMarie42
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
At least it is something you can use in a bio, no matter if there was glare or not, and your paintings are in City Hall!!!

PETE K
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Liza, Linn, Charlie dont know what happenen called them but i guess they don't answer their phones, it's all leave a message to different places. mainly sales.and the new tv thats they changed to. the message for that is longer the my clip. no one got back so. I did record it on tivo would not have a clue on getting it from the tivo to the internet. sorry :(

Elizabeth, I heard that storm we didn't get a thing untill this morning. I also have direct tv and do know what you mean about storms. that is the time we really need the tv to find out where and how bad it is. and thats when it doesn't work.

Deborah Secor
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Don't feel bad, Pete. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me and to friends of mine. I had a guy drive out to my house in the mountains (easily 45 minutes drive time) with his video gear, trek out to a location with me and all my plein air materials, video about a half hour of painting with a short interview, and in the end there was ONE shot of me saying ONE sentence on the TV news. Hope he got paid well for taking a half day for one sentence! :lol:

Deborah

PETE K
06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Deborah, thanks for that fine story. I'll beet he got paid quite well for his time also. i guess it happens to us all some time or another..

I just guess it's not my week. broke my glasses. night befor the tapping. flat tire right befor the tapping just made it. pool was green bought a pump to pume it out should have takeen 5 to 6 hr. and 4 days later i got to the bottom. got everything going all chems and the whole 9 yards just got if filled turned the filter on and doesn't work. knocks out my elect. was to do a small outside show tomarrow now i have to get the filter working. the show won't be that bad missing it. it's going to be 100 tomarrow and feel like 110 to 115 out side so i could live with that one. well y'all hope you have a better week.

Colorix
06-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Aw, Pete, what an awful week. Sometimes the universe just doesn't cooperate. It should get better, the old saying is something like three is the limit, and you've got glasses, tyre, pool. It will turn now, so I wish you three blessings!

Charlie

PETE K
06-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Charlie, thank you i sure could use it. as soon as i get something to eat i'll start looking for a new filter motor. and who knows what they will cost. there go some (most likely a lot) of supplys for this month. Charlie i hope 3 is the number. thank you.

LisaMarie42
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Good things come to those who suffer! (my personal quote, I guess) :)

Lynne Vokatis
06-20-2009, 11:39 PM
hey pete....wow ...i was just reading the whole thread.crazy huh?i wish i was closer .... Ide fix your glasses for ya!:cool: (thats what my day job is :lol: ...keeps me in pastels and paper). i wish i'de gotten to see your interview....even if it was short.hope things get better:cat: lynne

PETE K
06-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi Lisa, if it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have no luck at all. (I guess this ones my personal quote.)