PDA

View Full Version : Disappointments

richsantaclaus
06-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Sometimes you think you've made the "perfect" glass object-O-art it has something happen to it. I made 2 marbles that I thought were the best I'd made - period - end of sentence...lol. Well, when they came out of the kiln, one was really nice - exceptionally nice!!!!! The other one was even better in my opinion - I'd reached the Nirvana of perfection!

Well, I was showing a friend these 2 gems and he sneezed and both of them hit the ground, about at the same time! It made chips on them both as they had been accidentally dropped on concrete.

I have made repairs on marbles before so I reverted from shock to calmness. Well, ramping the kiln up to the desired temperature and allowing these 2 marbles to soak for an hour making sure the heat was consistently inside the volume of the glass..... I puntied one up and took it to the torch. Introducing it WAY out in the flame and into the higher heat.... I heard the sickening sound of "CRACK!!!!!" and looked to see my masterpiece with lines of disaster inside the glass all the way across the volume of the marble. I heated the mass of glass as hot as I could HOPING to get the now forming bubbles out - didn't work! I puntied up the other side and twisted away. The first set of pictures are what came out of the kiln.

Now another heartache - the exact same thing happened to the second marble! I tried the same method (which has worked many times before in repairing bad marbles people have brought me) but it didn't work either. The second set of pictures are the result.

You can see the arches and small crack marks deep inside the glass - oh well, the best laid plans went bad - I guess I still am on the search for the "perfect" marble!

richsantaclaus
06-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Second set of pix....

sundaisy
06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
bummer Rich!! They were really cool!

Dream Fire
06-15-2009, 12:17 AM
So sorry Rich. What temp did you ramp up too and is that copper inside?
I have found with soft glass you need to go up to 1050
and the copper can cause the temperture to vary greatly when introduced back into the flame....causing the shock.
They were beautiful.
Sam

richsantaclaus
06-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks Sam - they were Boro and it soaked at 1450 for an hour!

ddbeader
06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Hey rich so sorry to hear abou the cracking in your beautiful marble.. Diane

gingery
06-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Next time ask your friend if he's had his dose of alergy meds & had time for them to be effective before he gets to touch your marbles! Sorry that happened, but who knows, your next ones may be even better! They do look really cool!
ginger

LouiseI
06-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Oh no Rich! A double whammy on all fronts.
So sorry that they are both spoiled.
On the upside I guess you can still look forward to making that 'very best' marble!

glass obsessed
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear this!

richsantaclaus
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys - I show BAD stuff too so you guys won't repeat my errors!

Dream Fire
06-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks Sam - they were Boro and it soaked at 1450 for an hour!
Wow Rich what a disappointment for you. I know very little about Boro but sound like you did everything right.

Astrid Riedel
06-17-2009, 02:40 AM
What a terrible pity, I had something like that happen to me too, it definitely took me a second to compose my self and not show the anguish on my face. Your friend must have felt aweful too.

crowkar
06-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Well...here's some "teacher talk" We learn from our mistakes....:wink2: Remind me I said that next time I freak out about my "mistakes" :lol: Your designs are awesome....I love to see your frustrations as well as your successes