PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with art supplies for the first time...

BANfear
06-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone! :)

So, in about a week, I am going to travel to Greece and Italy for almost 2 weeks with my mom. Now I would like to bring some art supplies, but I've never done this before, so I'm not sure what to bring with me.

Should I bring a few basic colors (pastels) or only sketching pencils? Maybe pastel pencils, so that they wont break like pastels and it won't be too messy?

My main focus is to take pictures, however, because I feel much more comfortable being able to capture a moment and paint it when it's frozen in time, than to paint on location. So I don't know how important the art supplies will be to me, at that moment.

What do you all recommend?

Deborah Secor
06-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I'd say take a nice little drawing pad you can tuck in your carry-on, some pencils and a sharpener, maybe a few colored pencils in a little pencil case or bag, and your camera.

Picture yourself sitting at a cafe table doing a negative shape drawing of the skyline around you, or outlines of the people at a nearby table. Note the colors you see in your drawing, and jot a few colors into place, but don't try to start drawing the whole thing unless it just seems right.

Think of the fun of just catching a couple places every day in your sketchbook, and how you can use some photographs along with them at home to make a painting.

If you have time, go out on the 'Net and look for travel sketchbooks for inspiration. It's a great way to go--you'll bring home so much more than if you just take the camera. Have fun!

Deborah

Donna A
06-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi, BANfear! I agree with Deborah! And you might want to make the colored pencils you take the kind that are water soluble for times when you want to add color over a larger area quickly and have a bit of water handy! They are great in that they can be used either wet or dry---or a combination of both!

You might want to try a couple of quick practices with them before you leave---even though you are sure to be quite busy getting ready for the great trip! Have a marvelous time! Very best wishes!!! Donna ;-}

Studio-1-F
06-13-2009, 08:32 AM
And you might want to make the colored pencils you take the kind that are water soluble for times when you want to add color over a larger area quickly . . .
I agree with Donna about the water-soluble pencils. Add a waterbrush or two and you are compact and ready to go! The best one I've found is the Pentel Waterbrush. It's the third from the top on this page. (http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/75) (More on travel sketchbooking in general is here (http://jan777.blogspot.com/2007/06/travel-sketchbooking-22-may-2007.html).)

Have a wonderful and safe trip! Greece and Italy for almost 2 weeks? That is TOTAL HEAVEN!:wave:

Jan

DAK723
06-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Have a great trip! I see that Donna suggested a trial run before you go - that's what I would suggest, too. The pastels would be messy and you would need a way to store and transport and paintings you do without smudging them. I would go with the least messy, least hassle materials.

We're looking forward to seeing photos - and artwork - of the trip!!

Don

BANfear
06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Aaah, yay! :) Thank you everyone for your inputs! You have all helped me so much!

I'm looking forward to coming back and contributing my photographs to the Reference Library and hopefully also the Pastel Strokes of August 2009.:)

Joelle