PDA

View Full Version : Derwent Signature

Lyta
06-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I picked up a handfull of Derwent Signature on sale at a local art store yesterday and find that I really like them so far, especially some very unique subdued colours I hadn't had before. I understand though that they've been discontinued and now I'm afraid of losing those wonderful colours I only just found.

I've been wondering whether the Derwent Artists have, in essence, the same colour range; I looked at the charts on the Derwent homepage but can't tell if the colours just have different names or if they're really different. Also, do they feel similar? Oddly enough, I like the waxy feeling many people seem to find too hard. :lol:

I'd much appreciate any info on these questions! :)

Oh, and - does anyone happen to know why they've been discontinued so soon after their introduction? :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Lyta :cat:

AnnGarlough
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Lyta, while I never used their signature line and cannot compare it to any other, I do have the full set of Studio and like them a lot for certain areas as they hold a point well and are just hard enough to get fairly sharp detail.

The following link will take you to the Studio line color chart. Hope this helps a little!

http://www.pencils.co.uk/products/derwent.aspx?sid=14

Lyta
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Ann, thank you for your help. I've seen the colour chart but it's so hard to judge the actual shade from these charts; maybe someone who knows both the Studio (or Artists, I take it they're essentially the same except for core diameter) and the Signature will be able to answer my question...

The Signature colour chart, although not listed on the main page any more, can be found here:

http://www.pencils.co.uk/products/derwent.aspx?sid=1

and some of these colours look rather unmatched in the Artists Range - but that's what I'd like an opinion on.

I suppose I'll end up buying the rest of what that shop still has in stock. :lol: No good in mourning a dead line of pencils... Still, I'm getting curious about the Artists or Studio now.

:confused: Lyta

purplesloth
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I am not 100% sure but I believe Derwent have ceased producing Signature range so buy them while you can.
Marion

Lyta
06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
You're right, Marion, they discontinued the line, so I guess I'll have to pick up more of them, how sad... :D But that was exactly why I started wondering if the Artists or Studio were anything like the Signature...

ManedWolf
06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
According to two printed catalogs the Signature colour range was definitely different than the Artists / Studio / Watercolour range. And their lightfastness certainly was better.

I have never seen any Signature "live"; apparently none were imported here. *growls*
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2009/151084-PAWPRINT.JPG
Heikki

Molesworth
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
You can still get full sets on ebay uk for 50% of the rrp. They're on "buy it now" rather than auction and they still had lots of sets left today (June 5th). I think Derwent Artists pencils are harder and a bit grittier in some colours but it's all down to personal preference in the end. The Signature range have been out for a good few years in UK but did not take off the way the Coloursoft range has.
Regards,
Peter

Lyta
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Heikki, Peter, thanks a lot for your input! I picked up several single pencils in those wonderful must-have colours that I found, so I'm rather happy now; a set wouldn't be what I'm looking for since I really only want one big set... :rolleyes:

The lightfastness isn't a major issue for me right now; the different feel of the Artists is relevant though, thanks! :thumbsup: Frankly, I was quite disappointed by the Coloursoft (have a set of 24) so they're not a good alternative for me.

Thanks again to all of you! :cat:

Zsu
06-05-2009, 03:02 PM
You can still buy the Signature sets here, although I don't know how much they have left in stock. I can try to get a set for you Heikki, if you want it for your collection. :)

Molesworth
06-06-2009, 07:24 AM
You can also buy them individually from http://www.saa.co.uk/artmaterials/derwent-signature-pencils-1502.html
Peter

Lyta
06-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks a lot, Peter! Actually, I had already stumbled across this site. They won't be able to sell the Signature for a longer time though since they too will eventually run out of them, with the line being discontinued. That's why I was interested in how they compare to the Artists. :)

So long,

Lyta :wave:

norm123
06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I read that the light fastness feature cost extra $$ to make and they had to charge like 40cents more per pencil. People were not willing to pay the extra so they discontinued the line.

Glad you were able to get the ones you liked.

Lyta
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
That would be a good reason I suppose, espcially since other brands offer lightfast lines too and might be cheaper and/or more popular... In that context it's quite a surprise the Caran d'Ache Luminace are still around, given their pricing... :confused: But yes, I did get the ones I wanted, so I'm quite happy now. :cat:

ManedWolf
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
You can still buy the Signature sets here, although I don't know how much they have left in stock. I can try to get a set for you Heikki, if you want it for your collection. :)
WOW! That would be great ... but then I'd have to find something exotic for you ... unless you'd be happy with s ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2009/151084-PAWPRINT.JPG
Heikki

D.P.M
06-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Just had a brand new set of 72 Derwent artists (more info on 'outside the lines' thread) and although I have only done a little scribble I can say I prefer them to Pablo's. They seem to 'flow' better (not sure what the correct term is), and I am looking forward to using them.

Hubby paid 40 for them on ebay, is this a good price?