PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful IAPS

Devonlass
06-02-2009, 09:45 AM
My husband John and I got back from Albuquerque last evening. We both had such a great time. It was really good meeting all those people that I already knew through West Canvas, (Paula, Peggy, Dot, Nanna B, Donna, Maggie and Dave to name a few) and it's true - they're all really, really, nice!

I took in a demonstration with Lorenzo Chavez and one with Maggie and both were extremely useful. I feel I have really benefited from both sessions, now to see if I can translate that into my art. The trade show was great and we had to buy an additional suitcase to get everything home!

My non-artist husband enjoyed himself as well. He thought the convention was much more fun than the engineering conferences that he is involved in running!! He had fun chatting with lots of ladies when I was otherwise occupied. We are both planning on returning to the next meeting in two years time.

While I was there a couple of people suggested that I should change my user name to my real name, so that people know who I am. But I found that it can only be done under special circumstances by an Administrator. I have sent a message requesting the change, but if anyone can put in a good word for me I would be grateful.

Oh yes, one last thing. David - on the last day you took a photo of John and I with Paula. When you find it among the probably 1000 pictures you took, could you send me a copy please. Thanks.

Paula Ford
06-02-2009, 10:36 AM
What a pleasure it was meeting you both!!! I can't wait to see more photos of us also............David? YouHoo?

If you have any photos Carol, please post them in Peggy's new thread.

I'm also looking forward to seeing you in Tennessee when you visit to find your new home!! :D

eutherpendragon
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Carol,
Out of curiosity, what was the Lorenzo Chavez demo like? I've always admired his paintings. Do you recall what type of support he used in his demo?
Thanks,
Ann

PeggyB
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Carol,
Out of curiosity, what was the Lorenzo Chavez demo like? I've always admired his paintings. Do you recall what type of support he used in his demo?
Thanks,
Ann

Ann, Paula and I sat together with Ron Chapman at Lorenzo's demo on painting a snow scene... and Ron got a jacket for Paula too since she was very cold... as Nana said on the other thread, Ron is a very considerate gentleman - and I might add talented artist... his creds include signature membership in PSA, KA (the now defunct, but still greatly honorable Knickerbocker Artists), and IAPS Master Circle as well as several regional societies...

Back to your question regarding Lorenzo's preferred painting surface - hold on to your hat cuz it may surprise you! Moonstone colored Canson Mi Tientes is Lorenzo's favored pastel surface. He also uses a lot of Rembrandt pastels. I've taken two 5 day workshops from Lorenzo over the years, and I want to tell you he is one of the most organized, and knowledgable teachers you'll ever have. He can talk and paint at the same time - not an easy task if you've never tried it before yourself. His explanations are clear, his encouragement of each student no matter what level they paint at, and his genuine kindness are all appreciated by me. Even his critiques, when necessarily harsh, seem not so bad upon reflection!

I'm sorry I forgot to take my camera to the demo, but here's a "word view" of how he proceeds.
First he started with a slide show of past masters that have inspired him. He told us why each image was an inspiration. Several of them are Russian, and you can go to a website to see Alexi Gritsai (paintingofrussia.com). Other favorites include Issac Levatan, Carl Runguis, Marlin Hennings, Edgar Paine, Edward Potthast, and Willard Metcalf. I'm sorry if I misspelled some names...
Lorenzo begins each painting by first doing several thumbnail studies to help create the best composition and value pattern. This may take a bit of time, but in the long run saves a lot of mistakes such as placing some piece of information that is in the scene or photograph in a position that isn't ideal or a value that isn't quite right. He also makes color notes for future reference.
He'll then draw in the masses and establishes the horizon line. After comparing the shapes of the masses, any that don't work are eliminated now. He uses a very light touch to begin the work, and slowly builds up layers on his Canson paper. Two of the Rembrandt pastels he uses a lot are the cool and warm mauve in mid tone.

I encourage anyone who wants to watch a modern master at work to attend a Lorenzo Chavez workshop - and not to just look at the master, Paula... :lol:

Peggy

PeggyB
06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Carol, it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. Truth be told, the Wet Canvas family is a very good group of people united in a common cause, and willing to share with one another. I think one of the things I like so much about metting in person is being able to laugh outloud together. That's about the only thing missing here on the internet.

I look forward to seeing both you and John next time along with many more of our Wet Canvas family members.

Peggy

Paula Ford
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh, he is SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!

Devonlass
06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Peggy said it all Ann, and with much more detail than I could remember. I was also surprised that he uses Canson and Rembrandts, but he likes them and they certainly work for him. Like Peggy I also forgot my camera, so have no photos to record his work.

PeggyB
06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Here is his website:

http://www.lorenzochavez.com/

Try not to drool too much on the keyboard as you view these lovely paintings.

Peggy

DAK723
06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
While I was there a couple of people suggested that I should change my user name to my real name, so that people know who I am. But I found that it can only be done under special circumstances by an Administrator. I have sent a message requesting the change, but if anyone can put in a good word for me I would be grateful.

You could always put your full name on your signature line. In fact, after reading your post, that's what I did!

Don

Devonlass
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Good thinking Don. Now why didn't I think of that?

eutherpendragon
06-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Peggy,
Thanks for the information about Lorenzo Chavez's demo a IAPS. I've seen his website before, and I went back to have another look at it today and am simply amazed at how he interprets the landscape.

Thanks too, for the info on his materials. I thought that I had heard he uses Canson paper, but wasn't sure. He certainly does amazing work on this support, and I was particularly interested to know that he uses this paper, since it is mostly what I use, as I've not had luck with sanded surfaces. In this respect, he is certainly an inspiration.

All of the descriptions and photos of the IAPS convention this year sure make it look like a fun adventure!

Ann

Donna A
06-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Hi, everyone! Lorenzo Chavez is doing the jurying of the national show and two workshops in Kansas City in June 2010, so do consider it! His work is so very lovely!!!

Carol, it was sooo lovely to meet you and your husband! And Paula---a pure delight---and BLESS YOU for your HUGE help in getting all my painting gear packed up and shipped! I never would have made it on time to the airport without your very dear and wonderfully grand help!!!!! And great to see you yet again, Peggy!

We are sooo fortunate to have a group of such very lovely people---and to have a chance to visit with each other IRL as well as here on line is marvelous!!! My best to you all!!! Donna ;-}

Paula Ford
06-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi, everyone! Lorenzo Chavez is doing the jurying of the national show and two workshops in Kansas City in June 2010, so do consider it! His work is so very lovely!!!

Carol, it was sooo lovely to meet you and your husband! And Paula---a pure delight---and BLESS YOU for your HUGE help in getting all my painting gear packed up and shipped! I never would have made it on time to the airport without your very dear and wonderfully grand help!!!!! And great to see you yet again, Peggy!

We are sooo fortunate to have a group of such very lovely people---and to have a chance to visit with each other IRL as well as here on line is marvelous!!! My best to you all!!! Donna ;-}

You are so welcome Donna! It was my pleasure!! Wonderful meeting you. It was such a wonderful time!

Colorix
06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Just know that if you add your name in your siggy, every single post you make on WC will be on Google under your name. Name as your username won't show up on Google.

The way I have it, with my website as "Site", will not show all posts either, although my url is my name.

Chaves is great!

Charlie