PDA

View Full Version : HS Students give their shot at acrylics...

LarrySeiler
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I have a quarter long course in painting my high school students will do their junior year...this year however, I gave my ninth grade students that were ahead of others a chance to wet their feet.

A board about half the size of the juniors, odd sizes from about 12"x 16" to 10"x 18"...

These students also proceeded having only about two weeks time...(40 minutes per class)...

In the beginning...the teens are quite intimidated about starting. Sometimes I'll just take my hand and smear paint on in block shapes...explaining in the beginning we are just making a map that represents what is going to go where. Doing it hastily, I get that idea across we can do this with no fear because the beauty of acrylics is that paint itself makes a great eraser for covering up and fixing. Students tend to have a very short level of patience to watch and listen...so I knew my demo would have to be cut to about ten minutes time...

so...grabbing a board, a photo of an old abandoned truck, I blocked/smeared this in...a bit of brush for things like headlights...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-seilers_blockintruck.jpg

The examples I'll share, which I think turned out very good for their first efforts are all trucks, though I did not limit the subject. I found it odd...but then again not, for trucks are an intricate part of living here in the northwoods of Wisconsin. All students are girls as well...

Chelsie's effort...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-chelsietruck9th.jpg

Sara's old jeep...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-saratruck9th.jpg

Hannah's old '47...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-hannahtruck9th.jpg

Brittany's old '47...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-brittanytruck9th.jpg

here are a couple examples of mine taken a bit further...and I paint mine alla prima, which is in one sitting...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-seilertractor_example.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/532-seilerjeep_example.jpg

thanks for looking...and I'll share with the girls any comments made, this our last week of school til summer break. :wave:

Mz_Sketch_Pad
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
aww young minds are great!!! These are excellent- these girls have real talent. their paintings are just as good as "adult" paintings!!! you can tell em i said that!

LarrySeiler
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
will do...thanks much!!! :D

It will be good for the kids to read comments because most every student was frustrated by the painting experience, tearing themselves down all the while I'm praising their efforts and results. They don't realize how difficult this really is...and how many failures to arrive at success follows painters learning to paint.

I'm hoping their discouragement doesn't talk themselves out of taking the full painting quarter coming up for them in two years...so, your comments and encouragements I'm sure will be a service to them...

thanks much...I am really very proud of their efforts, though they do their very best to cause my hair to gray day by day!!! :lol:

peace

mroy27
06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
These HS student paintings are so fresh and raw, an absolute pleasure to see these actually. I wish I had a teacher like Larry when I was that young (or even now!). My education was in India and apart from science and maths nothing really got that much attention in my school. I wasted so many years learning nothing even though I was always interested in art and painting. I really hope these girls make the best use of the opportunity that they have. It is so easy to throw away talent when you are that young and confused.

Manju

Flopka
06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, that student work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

PainterDeb
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
These are all great!! Pls tell these young ladies to continue painting if they have the desire, even if they end up with a career in another field.

Don't wait until you are 50 to start painting....

skyeagle
06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Chelsie,
You are way ahead of my abilities at your age! You knew when it was enough. I still have a problem with overworking a piece. You definitely have talent, whether you chose it as a hobby or a career, enjoy it and stay with it.

skyeagle
06-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Sara,
Your old Jeep is great! Highlights, rust which many find hard to achieve, and a good use of color. And, your truck is in good perspective. Job well done. Hope you'll enjoy many years of painting. We all do some we don't like. It's just part of the game. My advice: enjoy the good ones and learn from the others.

skyeagle
06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Hannah,
Your old '47 is great. First time to use acrylics? I love the shadows inside the truck. You too, got the color of rust. Really looks like an old junker! Great job. Hope you continue to enjoy painting. You have a great teacher who has helped many of us. You never quit learning in the field of art!

skyeagle
06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Brittany,
You did a great job keeping it simple. That's something that takes some of us a long time to accomplish. I like your choices of color. Keep it up girl. You are on your way!!!

mek42
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
They're all doing a better job than I could. Thanks for giving them the extra time to try something new! :thumbsup:

Li'l Brown
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Wicked job girls! I really like the simplicity of your paintings - even though you are depicting complex objects and scenes. This is very hard to achieve and I struggle with it every painting I do. You should feel really good about your work!

nurciuoli
06-01-2009, 10:52 PM
These are great! The girls did a fantastic job and should be proud. Wish I had had a teacher like you Larry - perhaps I would have pursued art further as an adult. Girls don't give up on this - I think your work is very good. Keep painting & by all means, enjoy yourself!

susme48
06-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Girls...these are great!! I would love to be able to paint in this loose style!! Don't quit...I did, and it took me till I was 57 to take it up again...so much lost time!! You are fortunate to have Larry as a teacher....wish I could!!

dances_with_oils
06-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Girls, excellent job on your work. I personally think it's really important that you join a local art group or council. You'll find mentors and tons of experienced artists to guide you in your careers. If you don't have a group in your area.. start one... talk to your school, town and town council to and get them to support you. Art promotion and existence is always good for a town's tourist industry.

While you are learning to execute a painting also learn the business side of art. They will be lessons you can apply in almost any field you head into.

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Girls, excellent job on your work. I personally think it's really important that you join a local art group or council.

Thanks everyone appreciate all the comments and encouragements...

this one here is a good one too...except as a group, we are it!

Sixteen hundred people in the national forest northwoods of Wisconsin of this township, next town about 14 miles away with about 2,000 people. Two hours north of the city of Green Bay where significant population and the chance of an artistic culture. Also, we are a small district of about 275-300 students K-12...averaging 14-22 that graduate each year as seniors.

As an artist I get together with another artistic couple, friends about 13 miles of my location...about once per week and we are trying ourselves to do more...writing working with grants.

However...after high school they will likely encounter opportunities while off to higher education. Right now they are just freshman...taking Family Consumer Education, phy-ed, music...academic core subjects in a small town where athletics galvanizes the town community and football/basketball, softball and baseball bring everyone together.

As one art teacher of eight other school districts in one of several outlying counties...we have an annual exhibition to end the year representing each school...and we do our best. In my ten years here, I've had five go on to study the arts and make their life's career from it. Who knows how many develop hobbies or interests, such as one local girl I know who now takes many of the seniors graduation pictures, and is doing more weddings...having had photography from me and darkroom development experience.

Hopefully many of my students will find life richer for their developing understanding and appreciation of the arts. When I first came...folks gave me the oddest look seeing me along a roadside somewhere painting, but really...I think I've become something of a regular and an icon in our part of NE Wisconsin.

Thanks again...great comments and encouragements from everyone!

:wave:

LavenderFrost
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Your students are off to a great start!

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
the 9th graders were a buzz around the computer this morning...quite taken by comments. The twinkle in their eyes and upward turns of the corners of their mouths the sure giveaway.

Thanks everyone...much appreciated for the encouraging shot in the arm!!! :thumbsup:

Bright Eyes
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
These are great! And they are only freshmen:eek: Larry you've got some talented students!

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
thanks Kimberly...I think so too!!!

RPut
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Girls (and Larry!) Well done! I like them all. You are sooooo lucky to have the opportunity to start your painting and art so young with all the years ahead to explore learn and develop your talents!
Keep at it!!

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
thanks Ruthie...

:)

JStoltz
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I would suggest that all of these young women continue with their painting because they all show a great deal of ability. Each painting is unique and wonderful in it's own way. Life often tends to get in the way of when we are young, but I hope these ladies are able to carve out time for continued artistic pursuits. I must say that I am truly amazed at the quality they have achieved while working under the imposed time constraints. I believe that they will find painting much more enjoyable when they are free to work at their own pace, whenever the mood stikes.

Larry, these students are very fortunate to have you as a teacher. I'm sure your instruction has allowed them to progress much more quickly than they would have been able to on their own. Art instruction was very much an afterthought in the schools I attended and it's wonderful that you've been able to open their eyes to artistic expression at an early age. They may even find that painting is a helpful and relaxing distraction, from the sometimes pressure filled days they may encounter in the future.

Jeff

dragonshade
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
WOW some awesome work here, I really love the last 2.

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
They may even find that painting is a helpful and relaxing distraction, from the sometimes pressure filled days they may encounter in the future.

Jeff

I've taught these kids since they were kindergardners...and they have seen my paintings strewn about the room for ten years now...yes, agree...painting is helpful on many levels, and I think they got a bit more feel and insight this year than ever before..

much appreciated, Jeff...

LarrySeiler
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
thanks dragonshade

susme48
06-03-2009, 01:58 AM
I would suggest that all of these young women continue with their painting because they all show a great deal of ability. Each painting is unique and wonderful in it's own way. Life often tends to get in the way of when we are young, but I hope these ladies are able to carve out time for continued artistic pursuits. I must say that I am truly amazed at the quality they have achieved while working under the imposed time constraints. I believe that they will find painting much more enjoyable when they are free to work at their own pace, whenever the mood stikes.

Larry, these students are very fortunate to have you as a teacher. I'm sure your instruction has allowed them to progress much more quickly than they would have been able to on their own. Art instruction was very much an afterthought in the schools I attended and it's wonderful that you've been able to open their eyes to artistic expression at an early age. They may even find that painting is a helpful and relaxing distraction, from the sometimes pressure filled days they may encounter in the future.

Jeff
I so agree with what Jeff said, Larry!! I often wonder if things would have been different, if we had had art at my school. I used to fill out those art school forms...but never mailed any of them...:o Tho' Jeff was also right that life can truly get in the way when you are young...and raising a family, etc. Whether I ever get better...or become "someone", I would never give this up, for the absolute release of stress it can be and the joy it brings!

Thank you for teaching these kids...wish there were more of you out there!!!

LarrySeiler
06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
I hope they'll continue, Susan...next year as freshman they will have computer graphic arts with me, as well as darkroom photography. The last two years they work around their required college entree core subjects and will have only a few options for electives such as advanced levels of art, along with Technology Education, and so forth. I tend to get about 30% of that break down...

If anything, part of art education is to foster art appreciation...and as adults will have a bit more insight to become patrons or appreciative toward the arts. It will certainly be to their benefit I think...as many do here, for them to develop into actual producers of art even if as a hobby. We shall see, time will tell..

thanks... :wave:

noodle1
06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
These are great...Kudos girls! You've got the touch already, fabulous each one of them!

Elaine

geof
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Larry,
I have no idea how old 9th graders are but I sure think their work is really
capable. Well done girls, keep it up; from an old university professor (retiring in
four weeks). Painting has really enriched my life I had a teacher at school like
Larry who really encouraged me and it has been my hobby since I was
fourteen years old.

LarrySeiler
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
thanks Geof...and fourteen years of age is about their age, many of them...

congrads on your up and coming retirement!!! Enjoy it...you've earned it. ;)

Our former colleagues tell us that retirement for them means EVERYday is a Saturday!!! :D

Kathrin G.
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
only 14 :eek: WOW girls, this is excellent stuff, sooooooo much talent showing itself already :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep at it :)

Larry, I think it is fantastic that you are teaching them and giving them such a great start :clap:

LarrySeiler
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks Kathrin...the confirmation and affirmation itself proves a powerful art lesson in and of itself. A great follow-up for the students!

Larry