PDA

View Full Version : Pastel strokes June 2009

Merethe T
06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Welcome to Pastel Strokes June 2009!
It's nice to host the Strokes for this month, and given the time of year I've found some summer photo's to share with you.

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month. (We need hosts for the coming months, if you'd like to host let us know!)

* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo(s) and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also a thread in the Soft Pastel Studio with a link to the Pastel Talk project.

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo(s) and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.

* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things.

* You may paint as many versions and as many photos as you like, and they may be any size.

Most of all, let's have fun painting!

Here's a link to high res pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619089848964/

All photo's are taken by me, and are free for you to use.

A boat in summer sun
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Båt_1_x600.jpg

Summer in north of Norway
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Grytøy_x600.jpg

A still life
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Kopper_og_stein.jpg

Merethe

Merethe T
06-01-2009, 07:38 AM
More June photo's...

Some pears and a blue bowl
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Pears_x600.jpg

Memphis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Memphis_x600.jpg

Another summer pic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Grytøy_2_x600.jpg A flower http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Blomst_x600.jpg

Zorro, my cat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Zorro_x600.jpg

Some red plums
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-Plommer_x600.jpg

And two white cups
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/22081-To_kopper_x600.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy!

Merethe

rgb
06-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Wow! Wonderful, beautiful, interesting selections!

Thanks, Merethe!

Kathryn Wilson
06-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Wow is right! Some really great photos to paint from this summer!

BTW, if you'd like to try your hand at hosting a Pastel Strokes, we are taking names - just let Cravia or me know if you are interested.

saramathewson
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Beautiful pics Merethe. Is that a Norwegian Elkhound? We had one when I was married. He was beautiful and we named him Loki. He died just a short time ago of cancer. He ended up going to a wonderful home where the lady took great care of him and our lab. My relatives come from Tenevol? Not sure if that is spelled right. I know it is in Northern Norway. Their name got changed to Tenvold when they came to the US in the early 1800's. We still have cousins there though. I love your pic with the mountains in the background. My sister lives in Oslo and I know she has a beautiful view of a lake and mountains behind it from a window in her flat. I may have to try some of these pics. i haven't done the pastel strokes yet. Thanks for hosting it and providing such wonderful pics.

Sara

DAK723
06-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Merethe,

Beautiful photos!

Don

Merethe T
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Thank you all, I hope the photo's can inspire some painting too.... ;)

Sara - Memphis is an American Akita, but she does have some similar features to the elkhound - she's bigger though. And very friendly. :)
How fun to meet someone with Norwegian relatives, Tennevoll isn't too far from us, a couple of hours drive. Many Norwegians have American relatives after the emigration during the 1800's. We do to, it's nice to stay in touch with our family "over there". I hope to see a painting or two from you... :)

Merethe

Ruthie57
06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
What fantastic ref photos. I must try at least one of these. Does the artwork have to be submitted by the end of the month?

PETE K
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Merethe, very nic pic's think i will have to try at least two this month.

Colorix
06-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Ruthie, you post your painting as soon as it is finished. No need to wait. This thread will be up a whole month, so you can paint as many as you want and have time for, and post whenever during the month.

Merethe, yummie pictures, they are very tempting!

Charlie

arpett
06-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hei Merethe, dette var et fint utvalg av bilder. Morsomt å treffe på en nordmann her.

To the rest - i was just telling Merethe that it was great to meat a fellow Norwegian here at WC.

It's strange how small the world could be, i had an uncle that lived i Harstad.

Merethe T
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks all, I'm glad you like the photo's! I know it is summer, and probably many things going on besides painting, but I hope you'll find time to so a little painting.

Ruthie - the strokes runs one month, but have fun painting even if you can't find time to post this month.

Pete - great, can't wait to see what you do!

Charlie - tempting enough to push some dust around...? ;)

Arnt - hei, nice to see a fellow Norwegian here, there aren't many of us! The internet certainly has made the world a little smaller.....do you paint in pastels?

Merethe

Colorix
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Will push dust, the midnight sun is speaking to me!

... when printer and computer deigns to shake hands and let bygones be bygones, and cooperate to print out the photo.

Machines should *work*!

arpett
06-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Merethe - no, sorry but no pastels here yet. Just lurking around to see all the wondrful paintings in this forum. I am trying to self teach me (strange formulation) acrylics.

Ruthie57
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, I've done one already! Yesterday was an art day and, rather than work on my current pastel project, I took a break and did the challenge boat instead because the photo really inspired me. I have altered the colour saturation a bit. Hope you all like it.

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Ruthie, that looks great! I love that you pushed the colors a bit and the water reflection is amazing. Good work!

Ruthie57
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank you Kathryn. I forgot to say that it is done in Rembrandt and Unison soft pastels with a little pastel pencil, on Clairefontaine pastelmat, which I love:heart:

Colorix
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Ruthie! It is beautiful! Gorgeous colours! Love it!

!!! (Exclamation mood!)

Charlie

DAK723
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Ruthie,

Fantastic!

Don

Devonlass
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow Ruthie, that's really good! I love everything about it.

mudfish
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Love the whole thing but the water is fabulous. So hard to make it look wet with pastels. But then, I readily admit to being "water challenged".
Trish

bchlvr
06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Beautifully done Ruthie!

Merethe T
06-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Ah, Ruthie - gorgeous painting!! I love what you did with the colors, it feels like summer and midnight sun! And the water is fantastic, great reflections! I find water hard to do, yours is so believable!

Charlie - I look forward to see a colorful midnight sun whenever your machines decide to work with you...machines are supposed to just work, aren't they.... ;)

Arnt - I hope you find inspiration here to try pastels, there aren't many pastel artists in Norway....I've learned basically everything I know in this forum, it's a good place to start if you want to learn a medium...

rgb
06-04-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2009/100978-0906_pastel_boat01.jpg

Another boat. My eyes have bothered me so much lately that I can't seem to focus well and colors aren't true. Here's hoping there are no really strange colors in this one.

Merethe, thanks for the lovely choice of photos.

Colorix
06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Jenny, it's lovely, with a great glow of the sunlit side!

Merethe, I've started on one!

Charlie

airforcewife
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
:wave:

I'm new to this forum and art in general. I took a college class once and we used pastels a lot but I never caught onto it. This forum has inspired me to pick up the pastels again and try one more time. Any advice for a newbie that gets discouraged easily?

bchlvr
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Lovely boat Jenny!

AirForceWife...I am new to pastels kind of...and very easily discouraged. I put them down for almost a year after doing them for a few months last summer and for some reason they keep calling me back so I am picking them up again. No advice except keep trying.:)

rgb
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks, all. It was fun.

AirForceWife, pastels were strange, awkward, messy things to me for years, though a scribble here and there doesn't count as trying.

Just keep trying. I decided to give them a real try a few months ago, and it is easier to use them each time I try. There's a way to go yet, but it is easier. Surprisingly, there is much less mess now than a few months ago. Strange. The dust fairies must be visiting here. :D

DAK723
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Jenny, very nice! Love that reflection!

airforcewife, my advice would be to start with simple compositions. Lots of these photos will work, or as Jenny has done, crop to make it even simpler. Once you have reached a finishing point - don't fiddle with it - start the next painting. Come to think of it, this is the same advice I would give everyone regardless of experience level!

Don

rgb
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Don, you found me out! I would have had more problems with the whole scene, even though it is simple, and the crop seemed easier as well as interesting.

DAK723
06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Jenny (rgb) wrote: Don, you found me out! I would have had more problems with the whole scene, even though it is simple, and the crop seemed easier as well as interesting.
Sometimes there is one part of the scene that catches the eye and demands to be painted. Sometimes that one part is all you need.

Don

Ruthie57
06-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Nice colours Jenny and I like the crop too.
Airforce wife, when I started with soft pastels I couldn't even control where the stick hit the paper! It was so alien to me. But I loved it anyway. The only advice I can give is to practice. Like everything else you become more confident when something is more familiar. Also, read the articles on this forum and look at some of the wondeful pastel work to inspire you. I've only been here a few days but have been very impressed with the content!
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments about my boat. I may well do another of these when I come back from holiday.

Colorix
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
To the easily discouraged

Every new medium one tries puts one back on square one... it takes time to learn the peculiarities. Pastels are not easy, but nor are oils or watercolours... Heck, painting isn't easy! So dig in, paint, post, learn, and you'll figure it out.

You can even get used to getting critique. I've learned so much from braving it and posting my first awkward attempts, as people here usually suggest ways to make it better, not just say something's off or weak. Really, I regard WC as my "art college"!

And, you'll find after a while that your first efforts were actually better than you thought at the time you painted them!

Charlie

Colorix
06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Merethe, guys,

The view caught my fancy, and I 'redecorated' it a bit. Merethe, I guess those dark islands are characteristic of the place, but I "misplaced" them. :)

It turned out better than I thought it would, so now I regret I didn't use the better paper.

Colourfix (natural), Rembs, Senns, and Unis, and a TL too. Size 30x40cm (12x16", I think).

C&C most welcome, but I'll take a better photo (this is night-time) to show colours within masses better. Overall it is OK.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2009/117343-Harstad-f188.jpg

I tried to make the little boat be the focus.

Charlie

DAK723
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Charlie,

Really like this! All of it is nice, but the boat...the boat is fantastic! You've caught the rhythm of the curves of the boat perfectly, as well as the reflection. Yes, it is the focal point!

Don

bchlvr
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Lovely painting Charlie...like the colors and reflections!

rgb
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Charlie, great atmosphere, and I like the glow of the sunlit areas.

Anitta U.
06-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Hi, I'm new :wave: I have been lurking here for a while but decided to be brave and post my work. This is my third pastel painting and my first still life. The cups are off center a bit. This is on Colourfix primed Canson paper, approx. 9 X 12 inches. I currently have 15 Rembrandts, 24 Winsor and newton's and about a dozen Conte Carres so my color choices might be bit funky... I'm planning to get more pastels as soon as money allows.

Not sure if the picture will upload or not....

bchlvr
06-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Gorgeous Anitta! I love your color choices and the shine and details you acheived on the cups is beautiful!

mayhaps
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Love that boat.

rgb
06-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Anitta, it's beautiful, and the detail is great. Just shows that it is not the colors you have but how you use them. Have fun collecting more colors.

DAK723
06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Annita,

I'm glad you decided to post! This painting is fantastic! Since it is only your 3rd, and your 1st still-life, well, that is even more fantastic! The detail you have achieved is great and the colors look very natural, so don't fret about your limited selection. You obviously know how to use the colors you have.

Don

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Jenny - that crop is just right - simple lines, the colors look good. Keep painting!

Charlie - I agree with Don, the curved lines of the boat are perfect and they are not easy to achieve. If you enjoyed the scene, why not paint it again and count this as a study?

Annita - wow, for your limited colors, you did a great job. Well done!

DAK723
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I took a stab at the boat. (Actually, if I'd had a knife in my hand, I would have!! That's how frustrated I was at times!):evil:

Normally, I work on velour, so this effort on Fabriano Tiziano paper was quite an adventure. I would personally like to commend everyone who works on this, or any other smooth-type paper like Canson. I don't know how you do it. It was headed for the trash on more than one occasion, but I think I salvaged it! It looks much better small and photographed than it does in real life!

I found that the type of pastel really mattered on this paper. I used mostly Giraults, which left me with a pile of pastel dust at the end of each stroke and seamed too gritty to stick to the paper. Mt. Visions worked a little better, but the 2 Senneliers I used worked best, as they seemed "stickier" or "waxier" somehow. It could be that they stuck better as they were applied to a previous layer of pastel rather than to the paper. Much of the painting was eventually done with hard pastels - old Conte pastels which are similar to nupastels in hardness. I would be interested to hear if you have certain pastels that work better on these types of paper as opposed to papers with tooth.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/82335-boat-merethedak.JPG

Painting is about 7" x 10". Despite its simplicity, it took over two hours to do this! I think, on velour, it would have taken me about 30 minutes!

Don

bchlvr
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Don...In spite of your frustrations with the paper your boat turned out beautiful! I really like your colors and reflections.When I use a paper like Canson or Fabriano I like the real soft pastels better. Like you say they stick better.

bchlvr
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Here is my take on the dock scene. I am still getting used to pastels and landscapes. The color is a little off as I am not that good with photoshop either.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/74106-Maine-Dock.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Don - I feel your frustration with that paper - I also understand about the Giraults as I've had the same experience with them.

Despite all that, your boat curves and the reflections are right on the money.

rgb
06-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Don, beautiful boat and reflections! The different colors in the water are perfect.

I found Canson Mi-Teintes, smooth side, easier to use after I bought some Colorfix sanded paper. As a beginner, I thought it silly to learn on expensive paper when there are so many artists who do beautiful work on Canson. The Colorfix is really nice, but I immediately switched back to the Canson, and it was suddenly easier to handle. Mind games?

I do a rough, light sketch with a pastel pencil, then block in colors with Rembrandts and/or NuPastels. Sometimes I blend the initial layer of Rembrandts with my fingers (can't help myself). Though I have finished with softies, I suspect a few could have been done completely with Rembrandts. The layers are done fairly lightly, and sometimes I have to resist the urge to pile the color on. Soon I will try softies only, but I suspect the trick will be to keep the applications light. The Great Americans and Unisons should be perfect, but the Senneliers and Schminckes might be a bit soft to be used alone.

I have been using a light spray SpectraFix just before the end and before the colors are too thick. Sometimes it is used before I switch to softies. When finished (a.k.a. when I give up), I use a final light spray or two of Spectrafix. Someone in another thread said three layers of spray would do the job.

FYI, Arnold Lowrey uses Canson, and he suggests using a safety razor to scrape off pastels where they are too thick and you need to continue adding color. I haven't tried this yet.

Right now I am experimenting with different colors of Mi-Teintes. It is nice not to have white "holes" to chase down, but I have to lightly tape the edges with black drafting tape because the paper color border distracts me. I say "lightly tape" because I need to be able to shift the tape if I notice the paper stretching from use or from the Spectrafix. Stronger tape is used on the corners to attach it to my drawing board.

Although you had problems with your paper, your painting is beautiful, and your next try on the paper will probably be a lot easier.

rgb
06-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Linn, your sky and mountains are beautiful, and your details are wonderful.

Don't worry about the colors being a little off. Mine are "close enough", and I always assume everyone's is a tad off, except for those who have the experience and time to deal with Photoshop.

DAK723
06-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Don - I feel your frustration with that paper - I also understand about the Giraults as I've had the same experience with them.

Despite all that, your boat curves and the reflections are right on the money.
Thanks Kathryn! The Giraults and the Mt. Visions are my favorites for working on velour, but the Giraults definitely gave me problems here!

Don

DAK723
06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Don...In spite of your frustrations with the paper your boat turned out beautiful! I really like your colors and reflections.When I use a paper like Canson or Fabriano I like the real soft pastels better. Like you say they stick better.
Thanks, Linn!

Don, beautiful boat and reflections! The different colors in the water are perfect.

I found Canson Mi-Teintes, smooth side, easier to use after I bought some Colorfix sanded paper. As a beginner, I thought it silly to learn on expensive paper when there are so many artists who do beautiful work on Canson. The Colorfix is really nice, but I immediately switched back to the Canson, and it was suddenly easier to handle. Mind games?

I do a rough, light sketch with a pastel pencil, then block in colors with Rembrandts and/or NuPastels. Sometimes I blend the initial layer of Rembrandts with my fingers (can't help myself). Though I have finished with softies, I suspect a few could have been done completely with Rembrandts. The layers are done fairly lightly, and sometimes I have to resist the urge to pile the color on. Soon I will try softies only, but I suspect the trick will be to keep the applications light. The Great Americans and Unisons should be perfect, but the Senneliers and Schminckes might be a bit soft to be used alone.

Thanks Jenny! I, too prefer the smooth side of textured papers (if they have one). There are some advantages to learning on smooth paper (I learned on Newsprint!). You have to make good choices in color and value - you can't just cover it up with another layer - so I think it is possible to learn more, even if it is more frustrating.

I have done many figures on smooth paper and I have no trouble because I tend not to layer. I work shadows from light to dark and then add the lights and do side-by-side blending. In a landscape, however, I find it impossible not to layer, hence my difficulties.

I, too would recommend blocking in with harder pastels to start. I always finger blend the initial layer so that I cover the paper and still have the thinnest possible layer on the surface. I haven't used the Rembrandts in a while, but memory tells me that they were "waxier" and not "gritty" like the Giraults, so they would probably have worked better.

Don

DAK723
06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Linn, Very nicely done! I especially like your sky and the transition from pink to blue! Your boats are nicely done, too!

Don

Anitta U.
06-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I also forgot to thank Merethe for the beautiful photos. I actually wanted to do the boat but there's no way I can tackle that water yet!

bchlvr
06-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Thank you everyone! I am trying to just stick with the pastels and not do a watercolor or anything else...I am bound and determined right now that I am going to learn how to really use them. The boat scene and another one I did have been learning experiences.

Colorix
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Terve Anitta, welcome! Fantastic painting, especially for a third pastel! You clearly have experience in some other medium! Do paint more, and show us. (You know, we will not critique unless you ask us to, so you control it. Less scary that way.) The cups being off center makes for a more dynamic composition, so it is a good thing!

Guys, thanks for the comments on my painting. I was experimenting a bit, so I wet the underpainting layer with water instead of rubbing it in dry. So I managed to obliterate the carefully drawn (pastel pencil -- and freehand drawing) image, ending up with 5 large blobs of runny colour... But I remembered the words of a teacher: "If you could draw it once, you can draw it again", which I didn't, as the drawing is mainly to get stuff in the right place. So I started to paint/draw with the sticks. I'm so glad you say I got the boat right, it is only an inch high, not counting the reflection. Curves of boats are so beautiful, and I'm always amazed by how they can build them from wood. I think it is called 'clinker'-something, the method of joining the planks. I'll use fixative on this one, so the dust stays put, don't really want to re-paint it on Fisher.

Don, your boat is beautiful, and the texture adds liveliness to the masses. Honestly, the Tiziano isn't my favourite paper, even the back side is knobbly. Ingres or Canson MT are easier to work on. Of my brands (Rembs, AS, Senns, Schmincke, and Unisons) it is the the Unisons that are totally outclassing the others in 'stickablility', and 'layerability' too. While I work mostly with Rembrandts on the sandpapers and Colourfix. Unisons on Canson MT are perfect, surprisingly so, I can layer/crosshatch almost as much as Rembs on Colourfix.

Charlie

Nadia_S
06-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I painted this one yesterday evening and decided to wait till the morning to catch sunlight, but it's dull today, so the picture looks a bit blurry and some colors are wrong. Turned out being not so painterly as I wanted it to be, but I think it's nice anyway. C&C welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2009/186762-06-06-09.jpg

bchlvr
06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Great job on this Nadia...has a nice misty feel. Don't know if it was intentional or not but it has the feel of early morning to me.

Merethe T
06-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Ah, this is so much fun, look at all the beautiful paintings! I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. :)

Jenny - good crop, you've caught the essense of the photo with the light and the reflections! Great job!

Airforcewife-you could check out our newbie thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392571) too, there's lots of great tips about pastels here. And play with the sticks, have fun, try different styles - eventually you'll find what suits you the most. Like Charlie say - WC has been my pastel-college - I've learned a lot from c&c's I get here.

Charlie - lovely interpretation of the landscape! You've caught the soft light of the midnight sun, and the boat is gorgeous!

Anitta - so nice to see a still life! Love the shining cups, the color choises are great! Nice textures!

Don - lovely boat, your struggles doesn't show...I find that harder pastels like Rembrandt and Faber Castells work best for me on Canson and other smooth surfaces.

Linn - beautiful scene! You caught the northern light very nicely!

Nadia - lovely, romantic version of the boat! It feels like morning to me too, it's really nice!

Merethe

Colorix
06-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Linn, lovely fresh feeling in your beautiful painting. You're nearly there, just continue to paint.

Nadia, very beautiful, and the tuft of grass tells us it is anchored near the shore. Your reflected light in the boat is darker than the direct light, I just wanted to mention it and give you the tumbs up for thinking of that particular detail!

Charlie

DAK723
06-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Nadia,

Really love your boat! The water and reflections are great, too. Adding the grasses is a nice touch. Wish mine looked this good!

Don

rgb
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Linn, love your boat with the beautiful colors and reflections. The grass is a wonderful addition to the scene.

rgb
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2009/100978-0906_pastel_pears.jpg

Tried another!

My previous one (boat with reflections) was done on Icy Blue Canson Mi-Teintes, 8x10. This one is 8x10 on the steel gray paper. It's nice not to have white showing through in the dark areas, but I don't have enough experience to know what I do and don't like. I'll keep plodding along until I trip over Eureka! :lol:

bchlvr
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Beautiful JennY!

Merethe T
06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Jenny, nice job on the pears! Lovely, sparkling colors! Don't you worry, you'll trip over Eureka soon enough... ;)

Merethe

Dougwas
06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Great jobs everybody! I have been quietly lurking :evil: :angel: every day, looking at all the renderings of the great photos Merethe has provided. It has inspired me to try one. I started it yesterday, but I am taking my time to do it. I have a terrible habit of rushing my paintings. I don't know why, but it just happens. Hopefully I can get it finished in the next few days. I just wanted to let you all know how somebody's painting can inspire others.

Happy painting.

Doug

bchlvr
06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Doug! Know what you mean about rushing...I start one that is coming along well at the start and then I rush the rest and end of throwing it in the bin.:(

lucifuge
06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I have a noob question:

Just out of interest, for those that have submitted pictures in this thread already, have fixative sprays been used at various stages?? The color seems so thick and rich. I haven't used sprays on chalk pastel efforts so far and I wondered if this explains a major difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm only starting and my efforts are very primitive, but in terms of the application of the pastel, I dont get anwhayere near the thickness....hence the question. I'm sort of at the point where it's pointless continuing unless I understand more about the application, because I'm getting nowhere fast and its depresssing.

Colorix
06-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi Lucifuge, oh, so much depends on the quality of pastels and the quality of paper. I heap on dust until it is a crust, and I never spray inbetween. Depending on paper, I may spray the finised work lightly.

I want this fairly thick crust, as I come from oil painting, and use a layering technique. Most important is the paper. I use the special papers with texture added to them by coats of glue/gesso and 'sand' of different types. That way, I can build layers even with the Rembrandt sticks, which are not very opaque at all. (

On ordinary paper they give sheerer layers, up to a max of 5 layers. This can be increased with spraying, but spraying does change the look of the dust. Some artists use that to great advantage.

Pastels: really cheap pastels don't have as much pigment as more expensive ones, and cover less. Hard pastels (often thin and square) deposit little colour on ordinary paper (more on sandpapers).

So, if you tell what paper you use, and what brand of pastels, we can give specific advice.

And, it takes time to learn a new medium, so be patient and paint, and experiment, and most of all, have fun!

Charlie

mumwond
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for a lovely set of photos.

I've been busy the last few days painting walls and emptying stuff out of my living room as I'm getting a new carpet laid this week. Never again!

As a nice break I tried this picture with soft pastels on Canson Mi Tientes. I used rahite pencil for the lighthouse and rocks as I can't do fine detail with pastels,- I should really buy a few pastel pencils. Anyhow, I enjoyed doing this picture - I love skies.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2009/137575-wc9June09.jpg

lucifuge
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Lucifuge, oh, so much depends on the quality of pastels and the quality of paper. I heap on dust until it is a crust, and I never spray inbetween. Depending on paper, I may spray the finised work lightly.

I want this fairly thick crust, as I come from oil painting, and use a layering technique. Most important is the paper. I use the special papers with texture added to them by coats of glue/gesso and 'sand' of different types. That way, I can build layers even with the Rembrandt sticks, which are not very opaque at all. (

On ordinary paper they give sheerer layers, up to a max of 5 layers. This can be increased with spraying, but spraying does change the look of the dust. Some artists use that to great advantage.

Pastels: really cheap pastels don't have as much pigment as more expensive ones, and cover less. Hard pastels (often thin and square) deposit little colour on ordinary paper (more on sandpapers).

So, if you tell what paper you use, and what brand of pastels, we can give specific advice.

And, it takes time to learn a new medium, so be patient and paint, and experiment, and most of all, have fun!

Charlie

It's Canson Mi_Teintes, 160 gsm. I'm now using the back side of it. It's better than the front side, but yeah, it's hard to know how to get best results. I think my main issue is on pastel "pressure" on the paper at various stages, specifically, not knowing how hard/light to use it. Will a series of 3 or 4 light layers yield a final thick layer? Do you only use more pressure at the final stage when you dont expect any more pastel layers

DAK723
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
It's Canson Mi_Teintes, 160 gsm. I'm now using the back side of it. It's better than the front side, but yeah, it's hard to know how to get best results. I think my main issue is on pastel "pressure" on the paper at various stages, specifically, not knowing how hard/light to use it. Will a series of 3 or 4 light layers yield a final think layer? Do you only use more pressure at the final stage when you dont expect any more pastel layers
In my two years or more here on WC I have learned one thing - every person seems to have their own techniques and methods. So, you may get totally opposite answers from others - but, hopefully you will get some ideas and experiment. If you have any scrap pieces available, just practice making strokes. Use lighter or heavier touches. Do some cross hatching. Take the side of the pastel and very lightly glaze over an existing color, etc. Trying to figure out these types of applications while doing a real piece is not going to work as well.

My experience with Canson type papers is that I will not get a thick application of pastel - ever. I do not spray in between (perhaps this would help?). My initial layers of pastel are very thin - blended with my finger if I have to to cover the paper texture. I will usually use my harder pastels at first. I will put more colors down side by side as opposed to putting down one layer of one color and then trying to add another color on top. To put layers on top - I will probably need my softest pastels. They will cover much better, but personally, I doubt I've ever had more than 3 layers on Canson.

To better use a layering technique, I would definitely recommend a paper with some tooth - sanded papers (there are many - Wallis, Uart, Colorfix and more), LaCarte (which has some sort of gritty surface), or velour or suede (which has lots of little fibers to hold more pastel).

I don't recall ever using much pressure with a pastel. It is a soft touch for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Don

Dougwas
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
mumwond- Nice colours in the sky. This seems to have a foggy feel to it. Good job.

Doug

lucifuge
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I think the suggestion of testing techniques and seeing what works and doesn't is what I need to concentrate on. Really appreciate the advice DAK723, also thankyou to Colorix.
In my two years or more here on WC I have learned one thing - every person seems to have their own techniques and methods. So, you may get totally opposite answers from others - but, hopefully you will get some ideas and experiment. If you have any scrap pieces available, just practice making strokes. Use lighter or heavier touches. Do some cross hatching. Take the side of the pastel and very lightly glaze over an existing color, etc. Trying to figure out these types of applications while doing a real piece is not going to work as well.

My experience with Canson type papers is that I will not get a thick application of pastel - ever. I do not spray in between (perhaps this would help?). My initial layers of pastel are very thin - blended with my finger if I have to to cover the paper texture. I will usually use my harder pastels at first. I will put more colors down side by side as opposed to putting down one layer of one color and then trying to add another color on top. To put layers on top - I will probably need my softest pastels. They will cover much better, but personally, I doubt I've ever had more than 3 layers on Canson.

To better use a layering technique, I would definitely recommend a paper with some tooth - sanded papers (there are many - Wallis, Uart, Colorfix and more), LaCarte (which has some sort of gritty surface), or velour or suede (which has lots of little fibers to hold more pastel).

I don't recall ever using much pressure with a pastel. It is a soft touch for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Don

bchlvr
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Mumwood...very nice colors...good job!

Merethe T
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice work mumwond! It's nice to see the midnight sun inspired a painting! :)

Merethe

Dougwas
06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's my still life. Merethe, thank you for the great photo. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to paint it.

This is on 18 x 12 white Wallis using mostly Rembrandts, Mount Vision and Great Americans. I used a pastel and water underpainting.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2009/102199-Pears_and_Blue_Glass_Bowl_June_10_09.jpg

Doug

Judibelle
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Oh Doug...your colors are great. I havent seen the original photo, but I love the way your bowl turned out. Really nice. Glad you got to post!
JB

Merethe T
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Ah, wonderful, colorful still life Doug! Nice transparency in the bowl!
I'm glad to you like the photos. :) How about some plums.....? ;)

Merethe

Dougwas
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
JB- Thanks for the kind words. I was worried about the bowl but I think it turned out okay. My family thought it was funny that I was painting pears AGAIN.:lol: I can't help it. I love painting pears.:confused: :D

Merethe- Thanks for your comments. Hmmm. Plums? I will take you up on your challenge, but don't be surprised if they end up looking like pears.:evil: It might be a while before I get it done. My daughter graduates from High School this weekend and we are going to have a house full for a while.

Doug

bchlvr
06-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Beautiful painting Doug!! Sure love the colors!

Dougwas
06-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Linn. It was fun to paint. I would leave the painting, come back to it and see more colours. It's all Charlie's fault.:D

Doug

Mario V
06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Merethe, thanks a lot for hosting and for the wonderful photos :wave: :wave: :clap:

It was hard to decide which one to take, but since I'm soon heading towards coast I picked the boat.
12x18" Wallis paper, Unison and Sennelier pastels.
C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2009/133719-0906pas_barka.jpg

Mario V
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Ruthie, your work was my inspiration to try the boat. Wonderful work!!!
Jenny, you've painted the most beautiful part of the boat. Great crop and composition. I don't know how experienced you are, but the pears look fantastic!
Charlie, I like your colors as usual, and the foreground rocks are great. Isn't the boat too small?
Anitta, the cups are stunning!!! welcome to WC and please keep the pastel paintings coming :)
Don, Don't mind the paper, your painting is simple and beautiful. It looks more as sunrise.
Linn, it is a nice painting, I just miss usual your explosion of pink :)
Nadia, great idea with the bush!!!
mumwond, great choice of colors for the sky
Doug, this is what I'd call extraordinary painted bowl.

Colorix
06-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi Mario, Lovely boat!

My boat: Well, if you think that the dock is large enough to hide a fishing boat (commercial), and that the wee boat is a little flat-bottomed rowing boat that can take two men, two six packs of beer, and two fishing rods, one bucket of worms, and that it is seen from almost straight on and heavily foreshortened, well, no, not really, I don't think it is too small. :-D Those things really are little nut-shells bobbing more on top of the water than being in the water.

Charlie

DAK723
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Mario, Very nicely done boat! The water is excellent as well!
Doug, Great colors! Love those pears!

Don

Dougwas
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Mario- You did a great job capturing the light. The sun is bouncing off of the bow of the boat. Love the colours in the water.

Thanks for your kind words on my painting. The bowl was a challenge but I kept at it. You learn from every painting, so I hope my next attemp at coloured glass is even better.

Don- Thank you for the comments. I love painting pears. I think it is because of all the colours and planes.

Doug

IMaybe
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
:clap: Just wanted to say how wonderful this thread is!! People from everywhere painting together!!! and talking! Merthe, I love your photos and want to try the plums----don't know when tho, as we are working outdoors with the cattle now--but soon! The still life photos are great and very interesting. I wanted to say to the new members---you are doing wonderful!! Anita, your's is really nice for a third pastel ever!!!! great smoothness to the cups, and color. Dougwas(?) yours was really nice, the blue bowl and pears----It looks like so much fun! I'll be back!

Colorix
06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Doug, can't believe I missed yours! Beautifully colourful, with *very* nice shimmerings, and more variations than I've ever seen from you before, great!

Charlie

bchlvr
06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Mario...your boat is great...really like how you handled the water!

Dougwas
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Charlie. I owe it all to you. I can't thank you enough for your generosity and patience while teaching a shmo like me.:D

Doug

nanaj
06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Haven't had much time to paint lately, but couln't resist trying the cat. Needs more work, but I don't want to spend any more time on it.

I love this thread and look forward to seeing everyone's work.

Joyce

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2009/117752-P1010745.JPG

Shirl Parker
06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice kitty!

Merethe T
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Mario - Great job on the boat, I love the light and the movement of the water! I'm glad you enjoyed the photo - I haven't dared to try to paint it myself yet, lol!

IMaybe - yes, isn't this great fun? I'm glad you enjoy the thread, I do too! I look forward to see your painting to, when you find time to do it... :)

Joyce - what a nice painting of my Zorro! Lovely, painterly style - good job! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. :)

Merethe

rgb
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Love the cat!

I don't think I would care to be the object of his attention.

Colorix
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Merethe, you've changed your name! Good to see you!

Joyce, love your Zorro, you got the stance and quivering alertness, and the 'blacks' are just luciously luxurious!

Charlie

nanaj
06-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your comments. I enjoy painting cats more than being around them as I am highly allergic. They are beautiful and very interesting animals.
Joyce

Dougwas
06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
nanaj- I love blacks and whites :rolleyes: you used for this black and white cat. Great choice of colours and I really like the lose style.

Doug

bchlvr
06-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Joyce...I really like your cat as is...beautiful job with the colors and textures.

Merethe T
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Just a little reminder to you all - we still need hosts for the upcoming strokes!
If anyone would like to host it, please pm me or Kat. :)

NancyS.
06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Everyone, I've really enjoyed looking at all the paintings posted here. Merethe, this is a great selection of photos to work from, thanks for putting them together. I gave the still life with pears a try. C & C appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2009/29707-still_life.JPG

rgb
06-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Nancy, yours is really beautiful. Love the way you handled your colors.

Colorix
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Nancy, absolutely beautiful. Only nit I have is that I can't see where the blue bowl ends, and the blue shadow begins, they flow together just a wee bit too much. Otherwise, just beautiful!

Charlie

Dougwas
06-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Nancy- Love the soft edges. They really give a nice feeling to the painting.

Doug

NancyS.
06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Nancy, absolutely beautiful. Only nit I have is that I can't see where the blue bowl ends, and the blue shadow begins, they flow together just a wee bit too much. Otherwise, just beautiful!

Charlie

Charlie, Thanks for your comments. Originally, I liked the idea of the blue color being intense and sort of flowing out onto the other parts of the picture, and the dark part of the bowl merging with the shadow. But I can see how it would look strange to not see the edge of the bowl. I tried to sharpen it up but not sure I was able to accomplish that. I see lots of other mistakes. Anyway, here is the reworked version.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2009/29707-still_life_2.JPG

Colorix
06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Nancy, my ole brain is happier now, it can make sense of the bowl! You really did very well with this painting. So what if there are a few 'mistakes', the whole of it is gorgeous!

Charlie

robertsloan2
06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Nancy, this is beautiful. The reworking helped -- and wow this is gorgeous. Well done!

Merethe T
06-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Nancy, it's gorgeous - I love the soft look! This loose, painterly style is gorgeous, and your version of the pears is romantic and peaceful. It's lovely. :)

NancyS.
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Merethe, Robert, and Charlie, thanks for your nice comments. I was feeling a little discouraged with this one so the positive feedback really helped.

alija1001
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Sorry its late. Done in pastels on black card.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2009/78136-Cat_on_the_prowl.jpg