PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble June 1 thru June 7

Shirl Parker
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

I hope everyone who attended the IAPS convention had a great time and learned some interesting things. I'm looking forward to see what the new trays for PanPastels look like. Of course, they finally come out with them after I break down and make my own, a la Donna Aldredge. Also, I would like to see the new dark colors that have been created.

I hope you all have a fine week.

saramathewson
06-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Shirl,
do you use your pans a lot? So many are getting them and loving them that I may have to put them on my list of pastels I want<G>
We had some sadness in our little town this weekend. There was a double homicide and one other in the hospital from the shootings. One of the victims was a 9 year old girl. It was a family and suffice it to say that they were drug related. The wife/mother is in the hospital now after being shot three times. I'm very worried for my step daughter who is living with a man who is in the drug business. The man who was targeted is apparently a rival of his. This is all so surreal. I'm so afraid for my step daughters safety. I wanted her to come stay with us for awhile but she won't do that. She is very scared too and it is making her sick. I hope she wakes up and leaves this guy. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around it. any and all prayers would be appreciated both for the surviving members of the family involved(a mother and 11 year old daughter) and for my step daughter for her safety. It can be dangerous living on the border especially if you get into the wrong crowd of people. Most of the people in this town are either old hippies who came here to live in the hills in the 70's or ranchers. But there is an underlying drug trade going on like anywhere, but I think it is concentrated here because it is such a small town. And, we don't have a police force. We only have the Pima county Sheriffs and border patrol. Pima county is huge including Tucson and we are 1&1/2 hours away from Tucson, so it is kind of like we are alone out here if something does happen. I bet 90% of the households here own one or more guns. There is also a lot of illegal immigrant traffic through here, and with that also comes the big drug running. Mostly pot, but I'm sure other stuff is involved as well.
And yet it is a beautiful land. High desert grassland. With mountains all around. Very beautiful and the community is very close and wonderful. This is yet another tragedy happening here because of drugs. It brings such a sadness and tension to the atmosphere. Anyway, that is what is on my mind this morning. My step daughter came over yesterday in the late afternoon and just needed to talk about stuff. Partly relationship problems, (I'm so hoping she breaks up with him) and partly to talk about the murders. I am so out of touch I had no idea any of this happened until she came to tell me two days after the fact. So scary really!

I am slowly painting though. I have my french easel set up in my bedroom with a wonderful view of the mountains and valley and am doing some plein air sketches. Or should I say I'm working on my first but plan to do many<G> I hope all of you have a wonderful week and the ones who were at IAPS, I hope you are recovering, and or having fun at the post convention workshops.

Sara

Shirl Parker
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't paint with my pans nearly as much as I would like to, but just spreading out the colors on the table is a visual experience. I'd like to try them with that new fixative, SpectraFix, but it seems to only be available direct and the shipping cost is high.

K Taylor-Green
06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd love a tray or box to put my pans in. Heck, I forget what colors I have most of the time!

Shirl Parker
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Katherine, I made mine according to Donna's directions in the big PanPastel thread.

CM Neidhofer
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
All right...I've resized photos, still can't get the "insert image" option to work, but looks like Manage Attachments works, once I resized everything! Whew!! lol :eek: These are from our little road trip we took a couple of weeks ago to Gunnison Black Canyons, Blue Mesa and Mesa Verde cliff dwellings.

Christine

Deborah Secor
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Since I've been at the convention and taught my workshop, I haven't been visiting much lately. Good to be back to the relative peace of studio and computer neighborhoods again. Here are some gouache paintings I did last night. I can't post them anywhere in this forum but here...so here you go!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/23609-Rain_2_x_3.5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/23609-Algodones_2.5x3.5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/23609-Waterfall_4.5x2.5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2009/23609-Cloud_Takeover_4.5x3.jpg

All on Somerset Black Velvet. These are close to life sized on my monitor.

:wave:
Deborah

PeggyB
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
WOW Deborah - if these are close to lifesized on your monitor, and the same for me that would make The largest of them about 1.5 X 3 inches! Are they really that small??? Wonderful little gems no matter the size. :thumbsup:

I find gouache almost like working with "wet" pastels... indeed that's about what gouache is: a more "gritty" grind of pigment mixed with liquid and opaque, unlike transparent watercolors.

Peggy

PeggyB
06-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Oops! it posted twice - crazy computer (couldn't be operator error! :lol: )

Peggy

Deborah Secor
06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I know that computer problem, Peggy...couldn't be the operator, no.... :wink2:

Actually the largest is about 4.5" x 2.5", and the top one is 2" x 3.5". I cannot figure out how to set the actual size so it shows up accurately here...

Thanks for the compliment, though! :D

Deborah

prestonsega
06-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey ya'll

I have been away from the pastels for a while, but still placing them for sale in the one of only antique/art stores in this one stop light town....today an art dealer from central Florida bought a painting and called me to make an appointment to see all my work tomorrow..( 4 years worth )...and wants to buy them raw so he can matt and frame them himself. This should be a wake up call to all pastelists....you never know when opportunity will knock.

prestonsega
06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Sorry if i have offended anyone,,,,,,,I was just trying to get in the good graces of my freinds

prestonsega
06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Deborah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I admire your new work and style,,,,,,but honestly....don't you think it is a strep back?

saramathewson
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Deborah,

I love your gouache paintings. They could easily translate into pastel. I have been trying to figure out how to do a river/creek scene simply and quickly and seeing that gouache gives me ideas. I love them on that black velvet somerset paper. Thanks for posting them:)

Sara

Shirl Parker
06-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Deborah, have you tried using any gouache as an underpainting for pastel?

Deborah Secor
06-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Hey, Preston! Long time since we've seen you. Sounds like a great gig. Hope it puts you in the chips!

The gouache is a step back in some ways, but in the right direction, if you know what I mean. You'll relate to this, if I recall correctly. My mother is 97 and has now moved into my home. I can't disappear into a studio any more, so I have to sit in the dining room and paint in the sun, just to keep my sanity! At least it's painting, and I can do it where she can find me, and I can hop up at need. I'm having a blast doing them, too, so it isn't all a loss.

Go for it, Sara!

Shirl, I have used it for underpainting, and it's very compatible. Both have the same dusty look, in a way.

Deborah

Deb F
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Deborah, I saw your reference to having your mother move in with you. I am sending good thoughts your way since I know how exhausting this can be. You keep doing whatever you need to do to keep your sanity. And don't forget the "me time". For me, I like your new work

And Preston, congratulations! What a wonderful day that must have been.

Deborah Secor
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
A shot to show the scale of my little gouaches. They're pretty small:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2009/23609-DSCN8912.JPG

Thanks, Deb. My mom is in great health and is quite easy to care for, considering how difficult it can be at some stages. She's aged pretty gracefully. I'm quite blessed in that way, I know. And I love doing the teensy paintings. Totally fun!

Deborah

*Violet*
06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Shirl,
do you use your pans a lot? So many are getting them and loving them that I may have to put them on my list of pastels I want<G>
We had some sadness in our little town this weekend. There was a double homicide and one other in the hospital from the shootings. One of the victims was a 9 year old girl. It was a family and suffice it to say that they were drug related. The wife/mother is in the hospital now after being shot three times. I'm very worried for my step daughter who is living with a man who is in the drug business. The man who was targeted is apparently a rival of his. This is all so surreal. I'm so afraid for my step daughters safety. I wanted her to come stay with us for awhile but she won't do that. She is very scared too and it is making her sick. I hope she wakes up and leaves this guy. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around it. any and all prayers would be appreciated both for the surviving members of the family involved(a mother and 11 year old daughter) and for my step daughter for her safety. It can be dangerous living on the border especially if you get into the wrong crowd of people. Most of the people in this town are either old hippies who came here to live in the hills in the 70's or ranchers. But there is an underlying drug trade going on like anywhere, but I think it is concentrated here because it is such a small town. And, we don't have a police force. We only have the Pima county Sheriffs and border patrol. Pima county is huge including Tucson and we are 1&1/2 hours away from Tucson, so it is kind of like we are alone out here if something does happen. I bet 90% of the households here own one or more guns. There is also a lot of illegal immigrant traffic through here, and with that also comes the big drug running. Mostly pot, but I'm sure other stuff is involved as well.
And yet it is a beautiful land. High desert grassland. With mountains all around. Very beautiful and the community is very close and wonderful. This is yet another tragedy happening here because of drugs. It brings such a sadness and tension to the atmosphere. Anyway, that is what is on my mind this morning. My step daughter came over yesterday in the late afternoon and just needed to talk about stuff. Partly relationship problems, (I'm so hoping she breaks up with him) and partly to talk about the murders. I am so out of touch I had no idea any of this happened until she came to tell me two days after the fact. So scary really!

I am slowly painting though. I have my french easel set up in my bedroom with a wonderful view of the mountains and valley and am doing some plein air sketches. Or should I say I'm working on my first but plan to do many<G> I hope all of you have a wonderful week and the ones who were at IAPS, I hope you are recovering, and or having fun at the post convention workshops.

Sara

OMG !!! .... :eek: ... i just happened upon this thread and am stunned to read what you're dealing with !! ... my heart goes out to you !!! ... i couldn't imagine what it must be like in that situation as i've always lived in a larger community than what you describe ... all of it is soooooo close in a small community ... esp one with such little police support by the sounds of it !! ... please be strong ... and please seek out counselling if your fears keep too much to the surface ... i hope there's such a service close to you ... and others you must know that are feeling similarly afraid and troubled with this frighteningly volitile and dangerous atmosphere ... oh, how i feel for you !!! ... please hang in there and be hopeful that the situation will settle down with no future retaliations or harm to anyone ... i am right with you hoping for the safety and future of your daughter-in-law and hoping you feel less alone ... i'm also so very suprised that no one has responded to your post here .... shocked really !!!! ... :( ... *hugs* to you in these stressful stressful times ...

*Violet*
06-07-2009, 01:57 PM
deborah ... these tiny paintings are fabulous !! ... keep up with 'em!! ... make little note cards out of 'em !! ... they're treasures ... !!

it's wonderful that you're able to take your mother in to live with you at the stage of life she's in ... esp with the good health she has ... i'm sure this will be a time to cherish despite it's challenges ... i'm imagining (hoping) you've had a lovely relationship thus far which will ease the impact of this change in your life ... (having *been there* with a less than amicable history) ... all the best and strength to you ...

A shot to show the scale of my little gouaches. They're pretty small:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2009/23609-DSCN8912.JPG

Thanks, Deb. My mom is in great health and is quite easy to care for, considering how difficult it can be at some stages. She's aged pretty gracefully. I'm quite blessed in that way, I know. And I love doing the teensy paintings. Totally fun!

Deborah

Shirl Parker
06-07-2009, 02:56 PM
In the interest of kicking this thread over into a second page on my setup (20 posts), I will tell you all how I am amusing myself today.

The Palm Pre was released by Sprint yesterday, and I thought for sure that it would still be a while before I got one, mainly because initially they would only be available through a Sprint store, rather than online or by phone support.

I went to breakfast with friends yesterday and said I would like to go over to the store but I was afraid there would be people in line, and that store has no seating available, and I can't stand around for more than 10 minutes. My friend Judy said not likely for this town, that there would be a line that is.

So after breakfast, I hopped in my car and drove over. Miracle of milagros, no line, not a single other customer in the store. I got my phone, got semi-trained on it and off I went.

It's a real nice phone, great graphics, lots of features much like Iphone. A few minutes ago, I used it to take myself to the library to test the GPS navigation (Like it's a mile away, and I've been there dozens of times :evil: ) As I write this post, I am listening to music from my phone, directly into my ear with the bluetooth headset I have had for some time. My previous phone played music, but not through the headset.

My cell phone is my only phone, I gave up my landline a year ago. My friends have been complaining - You're breaking up !#$% - ever since. With this new phone, the problem went away. What a relief.

So, bottom line, I highly recommend this new phone, The Palm Pre.

Shirl Parker
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Ooooh, another great feature. I was looking at my email online, and I had opened all the emails, so nothing new. On my other phone, I had to deliberately download mail to see it. And then deliberately delete it, even if I deleted it online. On the new one, it is downloaded automatically, and when I delete online, it deletes on the phone. Little pleasures.