PDA

View Full Version : Juel (a wip)

Li'l Brown
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone,
Here is the preliminary drawing for a painting I'm starting. Please let me know what you think.

Please also ignore the smudge by her hand - that was supposed to be her other hand and I just smudged it out using my photo editor bc I forgot to erase it. Her bathing suit won't be nearly as dark and the horizon line will be straightened in the final painting, but I'll fix that later. Next step is my underpainting and I'll work on establishing the values then.

Does it bother you that her head is so close to the top? I didn't mean for that to happen but I have an extra half inch or so to work with if it's distracting. Would be good to leave room for framing purposes but I really don't want to redo the whole drawing :rolleyes:

In case you can't make it out, she is standing on the beach facing the ocean. Any other weird things you see, please let me know.

Thanks! (11"x14" on watercolour paper)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2009/52726-IMG_0022.jpg

Lady Carol
05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
good call on getting rid of her hand. The butt seems a little errr manly :eek:

susme48
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Jesslyn...personally, I like the composition...no real reason, just appeals to me. Cannot wait to see more!! Check your pm's :)

howyadoin
06-01-2009, 02:13 AM
The butt seems a little errr manly :eek:Yeah, it's kinda flat.

Li'l Brown
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Morning Carol, Sue and Bret :)

Well, her butt is pretty tiny (wish I could trade her) but perhaps I have not given her enough curves. lol She is a long, skinny drink of water with the exception of the bust. I will look more closely at it and make some adjustments. Thanks for catching that !

Susan, thanks for the pm, will have a better look at it when I get home later this afternoon. I never mind another set of eyes and figure drawing is something I haven't done a lot of. So, bring er on!

Glad I left the underpainting till I had some feedback. It's amazing what you don't see yourself :D

OkeeKat
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Looks great so far Jesslyn, I agree about the butt, but thats easy to rectify, anxiously waiting to see the next step!

PainterDeb
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Looks good! I agree with the nit about the butt (but don't worry, they are very easy to make a little larger :lol: )

mek42
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Very good beginning. Far better than I would be capable of.

To me, the left forearm looks a little small compared to the upper arm, but this could be a failure on my part. Maybe double check the reference?

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. :thumbsup:

Artchrispy
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
This looks great Jesslyn. Just watch the foreshortening on the wrist/forearm (you have to retain the width when foreshortening, even forms that recede.) Perhaps the dark shadow side is making it look even thinner.

Li'l Brown
06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey Chris, Mek, Deb and Kathy!

Here is an update. Susan you made some good points about the proportions of her body and I double-checked them and realized they were indeed off. So much for eyeballing it! That's why I use your eyes too :)

I padded her bum a bit, but not too much as she really doesn't have a very curvy bum, but I agree, she looked like a man in a Speedo :eek: I think she looks rounder now. I also dropped her shoulder, breast and elbow a couple of inches.

Chris, I agree that the foreshortening was off. I hadn't put too much attention on her forearm yet but how does it look now? I think I'll have her holding a seashell or a feather or something, just to explain why she's standing with her arm like that, lol.

Let me know what you think :) Am anxious to start laying in some colour. Thank you all for commenting!

(taken at night, hence the poor lighting and yellow tinge)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/52726-Sketch_2.jpg

Holy yellow! My paper is white!

susme48
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Much better Jesslyn...IMHO.

I took the yellow away for you...:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/51170-jesspic2.jpg

Andun
06-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Hey Jesslyn:) Looking great so far.I would just have a look at her tummy.If she is a tall drink of water the tummy area above the arm is fine but below the arm could be pulled in a bit.That will alsi improve the flatness if her bum area:)

Li'l Brown
06-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks Susan, that is much easier to look at :)

Hi Tony! I will have another look at her tummy. There is a natural curve there but she certainly doesn't have any extra so I don't want it to look as though she does. Gonna start painting today I think - yay!

Li'l Brown
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok, a couple of ugly updates :lol: I see many things that need adjustment and some of you are probably thinking "how messy!" but that's how I work - I'll fix things up as I go.

First underpainting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2009/52726-underpainting_for_wc.jpg

And after some initial colours have been laid in:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2009/52726-2nd_layer_colour_for_wc.jpg

Still lots to do but feel free to comment away. Don't know WHY I am having such trouble with her bum - I turned it upside down and everything. I'm hoping that when I get the actual bikini colours in, I'll be able to show more shading and that might help. Also, that bluish tinge will be gone once I've figured out how to make her skin look like skin.

Thanks for your help :)