PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla happiness....

Tracey123
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I have been away from this forum for quite a while but decided to post an image of my latest creation to get some feedback.

I joined an art group nearly a year ago and have been busily working trying to improve my method for acrylic painting, it is my favourite medium as it is so forgiving....god knows I need plenty of that when things arent going right...

He took me nearly three months to complete as he was almost entirely done at the weekly group session and has been growing steadily under the eye of the other members...thanks to Eileen and Janet for their encouragement!

If there is anything you can advise on please, I am very open to any and all comments, good or bad...

The only thing I was unsure of was the hands, which I have never been very good with....but considering my own hands are pretty painfull from the arthritis, they could be worse...so have at it folks, give me your honest opinions...please!!

(The painting does look much better in real life so make some allownaces for my terible photography!!!)

eyepaint
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Ha! Love it :)

susme48
05-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow!!! I am in awe!!!

Kathrin G.
05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
great job :clap:

Selahs art
05-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Excellent.

Retha

snowfall
05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Excellent work

Pam

PattiLou
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
There is nothing to "have at" as far as I'm concerned, it's really good. I love the foliage and wish I could do that well, or have that kind of patience. Love the fur on his arms.:thumbsup:

Li'l Brown
05-31-2009, 09:29 PM
This is great work! The hands look fine to me :)

Chia
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
All I can say is BRAVO! This is a charming painting in subject and a successful painting in technique. The fur and foliage is rendered beautifully!

arl
06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Wonderful.

OkeeKat
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Excellent job on his fur and the folage!!

gatorcross
06-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Wonderful job. As a photographer, I am in awe of your painting skills. As a constructive and personal opinion, I would add in future works a bit of whimsy/humor ... Especially with animals and primates. Too many times there are paintings (fantastic ones like yours) that show a simple day-in-the-life scene of a subject.

Why not do what I as a photographer, could NEVER capture in real life? Perhaps add a chimp in the background peering through the foliage with a goofy smile? Or holding a "bunny years" hand over the gorillas head?

Basically, make your painting stand out from the rest ... Humor and fun is my thing but you can chose whatever feels best for you (should you take my humble comment with any interest). Make it unique and memorable and people will come (or buy) :-)

Andun
06-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Wow!!!! That is a very cool painting.Love the work you did on the fur:)

JStoltz
06-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Amazing!!

LavenderFrost
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Wonderful!

noodle1
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh it's great!!

Elaine

lilbelle
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Fabulous job on the long silky hair and the background is wonderful!

Tracey123
06-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Gatorcross for that, funnily enough my son sugested some 'bunny ears'...perhaps I should try that on my next one and see what happens, it can always be painted out if it's not liked. Thank you so much for all your kind words... it does make you feel very good. After looking through these forums for so long, and seeing the fabulous work you all do, it is great to get some excellent feedback. I have learnt an awful lot from you, with the honesty being the best thing....no good blowing smoke up there and keep making mistakes as it gives false confidence. So thank you!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
i love the expression.. he looks caught

TxAggieDarlin
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I think you have a beautiful painting

Katwyld
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I like it! Yeah, he does look caught. heh Beautiful job on his expression and his hands.

My only suggestion (and it's very nit-picky) is the plant he's holding in his right hand (our left). Seems as though there should be some shadow under his hand given the light source. The shadows on the rest of him look excellent, just that left side catches my attention.

Yeah, I love acrylic for the same reason... and it looks like they're agreeing with you! Thanks to Eileen and Janet for encouraging you as well... this is talent that needs to be used!