PDA

View Full Version : Oldies & Goodies-May 30-June 12 DELACROIX

trafford
05-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Our artist for the next two weeks:

FERDINAND VICTOR EUGENE DELACROIX April 26, 1798-August 13, 1863

From the French Literature Companion:
The leading reprsentative of Romanticism in French painting. Delacroix applied his powerful imagination and audacious composition and use of color to a huge range of subjects. He mastered one series of pictorial motifs and ideas after another. Italian and Flemish artists studied in the Louvre, British colourism and Romantic literature discovered through Bonington, North African subjects drawn frim his visit there in 1832. From the 1830s onwards his mastery of traditional subject-matter and monumental form won his a series of major state commissions. Idolized by Baudelaire, who hailed him as'the true painter of the nineteenth century. Delacroix was the link between the Old Master tradition and the most contemporary problems of art theory and practice of which his three-volume Journal is essential text.

Please work in the medium of your choice and use the links below for other images you might like to try. Enjoy and be inspired.

trafford
05-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Here are the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix

For his journal: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix

and youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqFP_QP2s-g

There is also a very funny movie "Impromptu" with Judy Davis and Hugh Grant with Delacroix as a featured player.

and finally here are two portraits of his friends:

George Sand

and Chopin

trafford
05-30-2009, 07:25 AM
I see I posted wiki twice...meant to post

http://www.eugenedelacroix.org/

artbyjune
06-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Hi Trafford. Looks like an interesting artist to explore. I like that horse.

christinemlr
06-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Trafford, I have lurked a little on this site and am finding it very informative and interesting. I want to learn more about art by studying master works more closely and now I've decided its time not just to look at paintings, but to start really appreciating painting through actively doing studies. So I think I will start here with Delacroix, (who I had heard of but had only seen the one Chopin portrait, reproduction) I enjoyed the youtube video very much. How I wish I could see the real paintings.
One general question about the classical forum, What is thought of as 'classical' in terms of this site? Does it mean Master works generally or is it more specific?
Xina

azulparsnip
06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi June, Janet, Xina - Delacroix , if only I was so accomplished when so young.

Christinemir - aaah, the "ole what does classical mean" question. Here is the quote that is at the head of the forum thread list........

Threads in Forum: Classical Art - Come discuss techniques, share tips, post work and enjoy the fellowship of like minds working in various media. Anything Recognizable: Academic, Impressionistic, Naturalism, Contemporary Realism, Representational, Romanticism, Symbolic Realism and Traditional styles are all welcome.

basically - works of famous artist , drawn in your own "words"......copy out right or just emulate the style.....

trafford
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Xina, glad you stopped lurking and joined us. We have a lot of fun, here, exploring artists we know well and some we have to learn more about.

In the projects section of this forum, you can see how diversified we are. We have illustrators, besties, paint-alongs, mythology and more. We have done a wide spectrum of artists from very very classical to Frida Kahlo, Klimt , Goya and Degas. I guess we do recognizable art...not abstract, cubism etc.

I hope that sort of answers your question. Perhaps others can add more.

Please do a Delacroix in any medium and pop it in here, we'd love to see it.

Janet :heart:

trafford
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi, Azul, I think we are writing on top of each other :lol:

artbyjune
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Classical seems to mean any 'master' artist- for the projects at least.

Some people like to restrict it to academic style art ( as per Ingres, etc).

We like to be open-minded with our classifications. That way we can study anything that takes our fancy. A better position to be in, I think.

christinemlr
06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Thank you Janet, Robin and June. I think I'm going to enjoy studying here with you and learning about so many different artiists and styles here, and I especially like the fact that any medium can be used. I would never have thought of looking/copying Delacroix so I think its a bonus when something unexpected crops up, I think its going to be pretty hard though, so unlike anything I've ever tried before.
I'll also be really interested to see how you all go about this. I'm not quite sure how to go about it myself, but the first thing I've done is get some decent quality printing paper for the printer, so hope that will help. I'm going to work on A4 size paper for now ( easy to scan and upload), so I will be doing small scale studies for now, but I may get inspired to do something bigger - you never can tell where these things can lead!

gakinme
06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you, Janet, for this artist and links. I have opened almost 10 tabs and haven't even closed them for the last 3 days because I am wanting to paint them all.

I'm working on the water piece now and gosh, I should really change medium. I was using Derwent pencils and black paper and it's taking awfully long. I'll be back when I have something recognizable.

trafford
06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Go for it Xina and Sandra :cool:

christinemlr
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I am really getting into Delacroix. I've been looking at lots (and he did lots!) of works online and am totally awed by it, I'm now understanding why he was so admired in his time. He has rocketed up to my top favourite artist list. There a few works I have in mind now for this thread.

Decided to start with the Women of Algiers (1834) which is a large work 180 x 229 cms. My crop is small 8 x 6 inches, but of course I was working from a small printout. I've just done a straight copy, I'm not up to changing or interpreting or translating, I just want to do fairly faithful copying to get to know the paintings. I absolutely LOVED doing this.

I used gouache on watercolour paper and only 4 colours plus black and white. The colours were ultramarine, yellow ochre, forest green and havannah lake - which is a new colour in my collection (I have very few colours just the basic standards) but this one I thought was a nice brown but it turns out to be a very interesting deep reddish colour that is great for mixing.

I used the gouache like watercolour without white at all and then added the white in the final application. Delacroix seems to make use of white as a colour in itself although I would need to see the real work to understand how he does use it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2009/151368-img131.jpg

I'll do the female figure on the left next, she is wonderful. And I've seen a great painting that I can't wait to do...

PS the colours of the painting I was working from were totally different to the one posted at the top of the thread. That one looks oversaturated to me, but could be wrong. I want to go to Paris and see this painting. Won't be possible though for some long time yet unfortunately.

gakinme
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Xina, very nice rendition. The colors look very good too. So you mix your gouache to get new colors?

I too have been looking at his work non-stop these few days and there are so many I want to do. I read last night from Honore Daumier's book that Delacroix borrowed some of Daumier female nude paintings for his own work. They I guess were friends.

azulparsnip
06-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh Xina - that is beautiful. I'm looking forward to see what else you do. I've been so busy I can hardly think of painting but looking at that makes me sooooo want to squeeze some painting in. I'll see.

Sandra, you are reading up too.....that's fab.

trafford
06-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Xina, your painting, is indeed, very beautiful. I like the loose style and the colors. Thank you for telling us about your process and choice of colors. If you only have a few colors, you are a very good mixer.

I have a copy of D's journal that belonged to my parents and even has a crumbling newspaper review of the book slipped inside. Instead of focusing on what he writes about his own art work, I'm even more fascinated by the rest of his life. The theater, concerts, books he is reading, who he dines with. Imagine having dinner with Chopin, or D. himself for that matter :lol:

Janet :cool:

datura
06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
hi, new to WC, but very excited to discover this area. I'm getting inspired to try something~ will have to find a pic to copy!

trafford
06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi, Datura, glad you are joining us. Delacroix did paintings, drawings, prints and quick sketches...lots to choose from. Excited to see what you come up with.

gakinme
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Here is my first piece. The original work is here (http://www.eugenedelacroix.org/Christ-on-the-Lake-of-Gennesaret.html). There are so many pieces I want to copy. The horses, the water and the people!!!

Took me a while. Derwent Metallic pencils and Col-Erase pencils and a couple of Prismacolor pencils for skin tone and white on Ampad 65 lbs cardstock.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2009/86669-metallic_christ_800.JPG

trafford
06-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi, Sandra. A good feel of the original. Love the water. :heart:

artbyjune
06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi Sandra, I love the swirling movement you have going on here.

artbyjune
06-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi Xina. Your gouache painting is very beautiful. I haven't used gouache in a while.

I am way behind with this project as I haven't done any reading etc. I hope to do a teeny something but not sure if I'll manage it!

Good to see everyone else's work though.

azulparsnip
06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Sandra - nice go, got the turmoil and tossing feeling in the boat, the water is entrancing

Datura - welcome, welcome - looking forward to your tete a tete with Delacroix

Janet - wow, that sounds like a good book - an artist journal with the personal tidbits............What mediums did your parents use?

June - I'm in the same way - haven't done much but look at pictures...but we have one more week on this.....

trafford
06-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I also haven't picked anything yet. This weekend looks like a good time to get at it.

Robin, my father was an oil painter, cartoonist and lithographer, my mother was a cartoonist, illustrator and painter. The atmosphere was full of oil paint fumes. If I ever get a blog started maybe I'll write about them. :heart:

artbyjune
06-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Janet, I would love to visit YOUR library!!

No-one was arty in my family. Or even bookish, although my grandmother liked to buy me a children's book every week to keep me quiet, and I loved going to the library when a child.

I liked to do pavement art with chalks when at primary..as lots of kids do. So art was always a 'secret' passion. I was glad to have time to explore art further now I am 'grown-up'.

How did you all start?

christinemlr
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Sandra - You've done a terrific translation here, with the churning sea and desperate figures. I think I can detect the influence of your Daumier sketches here as well. I don't know the story in the bible that this scene depicts but it seems that Christ is peacefully unconcerned by the stormy sea, whilst all those around him are frantic with fear. You've got the sense of that so well.

One of the things I'm noticing about Delacroix is his liking for the use of strong diagonals in his compositions. In this painting the diagonal points up to the mountain summit on the horizon. I think this must be a symbolic reference.

christinemlr
06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, here is the other Algerian woman, again in gouache and the same colours used as before. This is so FAR from what I had hoped to achieve, my imagined painting and my actual ability just don't anywhere near match up. Its not completely finished, but I think I'll leave it for now, because I want to move on. Despite the enormous difficulty of doing this I still enjoyed it. Delacroix was such a great painter, even the most pathetic attempt to copy him is worth it. While I was doing it I 'felt' other artists, matisse kept coming through when I was painting the head, and Renoir while I was painting the clothes, It was wierd, but not unpleasantly so, quite exciting in a strange way

.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2009/151368-img132.jpg

Doing these two paintings I've discovered a couple of things in terms of my own painting. 1. I like gouache as a medium A LOT. 2. I like using black to mix colour. I've never done this before, always believing that black just dulls and muddies, but now I'm discovering it can be used to make good and interesting darks. Hope I'm not getting deluded about this, and that this discovery won't lead me into disastrously dull painting in the future!
Xina

gakinme
06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Thank you, June, Robin, Janet, Xina, for your comments. I really enjoyed doing that piece but I want to try it in acrylics too. The more I drew the waves, I more I noticed I needed thick colors. Do you think acrylic ink would do the job, June?

Xina, I'm curious about gouache. You could mix colors with gouache too? Why gouache and not acrylics since both are opaque? You have a very nice piece. I like general overtone of subdued tone down colors in this one too. You did her arms and hands very well!

June asked how did we all start? You mean art wise?

When I was little, I write diaries a lot and make up a lot of stories. Then as I got older, I wrote less but drew at night copying all the beautiful calendar pix with a primitive set of watercolor from China (I wonder if it was the waterproof type that I yearn to get these days for Chinese painting) and mostly, it was landscape. I was most interested in hot vibrant colors of Latin America and the mountains and lakes. I only dotted undiluted paint here and there, never realizing that you could put water to it. LOL.

I also drew a lot of my dreams and to this day, that is my source of inspiration. The moment I close my eyes, imagery comes and I have so much I want to draw but I don't have enough time, even though I don't work.LOL. Oh, right, so by high school, I was too busy to draw, having to study and then work and have kids. Only started again one and a half year ago.

My father was a photographer and I take after him. Before drawing, photography was my passion.

christinemlr
06-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks Sandra, there's some good info in the casein, gouache, egg tempera forum about gouache. I just took a quick look, I've not been to that site before, I'll have to do some researching there now that I'm getting into gouache. Talking about doing the waves thickly, gouache might be a good medium to try if your going to buy new paints. I just find it easier to work than acrylics, and light over dark seems to work better too. I'm discovering you can do lots of things, like watercolour techniques and oil techniques, glazing, scumbling etc. all at once! I'm going to explore this medium a lot more. I bought the paints to make a colour wheel and do some colour mixing exercises a few years ago and never did a painting with them! They've been
stashed away in a food storage carton since then. I got them out again because I thought they might be useful for studying Delacroix oil paintings. So glad I did.

azulparsnip
06-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Xina - your latest post is most admirable......I love that pallete AND gouache is a current passion of mine....... What is the size on this one???? I'd frame the pair.

Sandra - you are fortunate to have a strong drawing ability to go with the dreams. I enjoyed hearing about how you have grown into art.

Janet - thanks for sharing about your family . I would have loved being around creative folks.....even if they were parents!!! Hope you got something down this weekend.

I did almost no art until I moved from home at age 18. Then I would just pick up a ball point and draw the dishes on the table mostly. I was impressed by my friends mother (still living) -Baila Goldenthal is her artist name http://www.bailagoldenthal.com/ . And one other occurance I was just thinking on the other day.......In the apartment building in Berkeley California ( that was a chinese laundry eons ago) were two girls majoring in design at the college. The had painted their apart each wall a different color - purple, orange and gold....and I remember thinking what POWER these girls had with their color knowledge. But didn't start pursuing the "muse" till about 3 years ago.

I'm glad we have one more week to work on this.

trafford
06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Xina, your colors are beautiful, and Robin is right you should frame the two paintings.

Thank you Robin, for introducing me to Baila Goldenthal. I'd like to do work just like her. Blown away by her Cat's Cradle #4 and her sculpture, and everything else, for that matter.

As for me and ART, or ART and I...Even though my parents were visual artists, I didn't want to do the same thing. Studied ballet for many years, and performed a little (couldn't audition) I married and years later took some art classes and started painting on tiles and paper. I've always drawn and doodled, and now I want to be Baila Goldenthal.:lol:

Imagine my father never worked 9 to 5. He was always free-lance. Many more outlets for art years ago.

Am trying to decide which painting of D's to do. Can't seem to get started.

artbyjune
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2009/106623-jewishbridewc1a5k.jpg

I managed to sneak one in. A copy of the 'Jewish bride' by Delacroix. I had a rather faint print-out to work from. I'm going to look for this painting on the web.

:thumbsup:

Forgot to say its watercolour, 6 by 7 ins.:D

trafford
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
June, you really do very nice watercolors. Do you use pans or tubes, or both? It's a little different than his big major pieces. I like the fact that we all pick different aspects of an artist's work. More fun.

Here is my take on "The Death of Ophelia" in black watercolor.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2009/42757-ophelia.jpg

and the original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2009/42757-The-Death-of-Ophelia-1843.jpg

artbyjune
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Really good study, Trafford. I love the drama you've captured here. Is Delacroix's original in ink or what? I haven't seen this one.

I use pans and tubes...but I prefer pans as you can open the box and set them up with no fuss.

Don't know about you but I keep choosing to do watercolours because the effort of getting out oils or acrylics is sometimes just too much to be bothered with some days. Then again, I love all the bits and pieces for watercolour...the soft brushes, the porcelain palette.:heart:

trafford
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I originally was going to attempt pen and ink, but couldn't figure out what he used. I just looked Ophelia up and it's a lithograph, and while I was doing this I found this painting???? It wasn't in any of the group lists.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2009/42757-ophelia2.jpg

Rather nice isn't it?

gakinme
06-09-2009, 12:48 AM
I saw this painting too. I think the black and white is the preliminary study for this piece. I haven't started yet. I might be very late because I'm packing and moving.

Great work, Jane. You have made a very good study with the black watercolor. His work is so dramatic and you have given her desperate eyes.

June, your piece is very cute. The bride looks very prim and proper.

artbyjune
06-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the comment Sandra. It made me laugh. A friend of mine-way back in primary school days- used to call me Miss Prim and proper. Anyway, it was a lovely watercolour to copy.

trafford
06-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Thank you Sandra and June. Now that I look at my 'Ophelia" again, I'm not too happy. She's OK, but the background could be better. One of the problems, is painting from a print out that I can't see too well. Like black thingies in the water turned out to be stones and I melded a tree in the back to the overall forest of trees. You really have to look at a few reproductions, or draw/paint from the PC screen......Or maybe be more observant. :lol:

Think I'll try another Delacroix before the week is over, and then on to summer and rabbits......Janet :cool:

artbyjune
06-09-2009, 07:23 AM
There is a problem with print-outs, I find. Lack of detail and sometimes the colouring is not the best. But I don't think you should be too hard on yourself...because

1. its just a quick study-copy session for this 2 week project. You could go on to do more in-depth studies on works you particularly like.

2. Capturing one aspect of the original is an admirable feat. Something in addition to just a mere copy of the forms and/or colours. Say, the drama or emotion of the scenes.

gakinme
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Here's my first of Eugene Delacroix work.

Derwent Tinted Charcoal pencils with General's Pastel Chalk Pencils on Japanese brown craft paper.

The woman is being killed at the moment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2009/86669-delacroix_tinted1.JPG

gakinme
06-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Here is one more study of Delacroix.

I used rapidograph 0.25mm and it was too fine and so went back in with Japanese brushpen gray and black.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2009/86669-delacroix_pen.JPG

trafford
06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Good work Sandra. "Killed from Behind" is an interesting painting, no killer and she is way over to the left. No killer, but you know she is being attacked. I just wonder what determined his choice.

June, lovely "Jewish Bride" He did quite a few paintings in this style, so much lighter than his big massive works.

New breeze
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2009/163099-pastel1.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2009/163099-pastel1.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

artbyjune
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi newbreeze. I like your expressive drawing very much.

New breeze
06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Hi June,I did this painting in pastels.Thanks for your appreciation .June your painting is gorgeous.

New breeze
06-19-2009, 05:19 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2009/163099-sketch1.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

trafford
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
New Breeze...Very intense woman and very good portrait in pastel. Your horse looks amused, maybe because he's green.

Here is my last D. for now. Acrylic on a 6"x 6" tile.

...inspired by

artbyjune
06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Love the smiling horse, newbreeze.

Superb bunch of flowers Trafford...very joyful.

artbyjune
06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Gakinme, your figures are really good. I'm hoping to do more figures soon...not from delacroix...maybe one of the new 'oldies', if you get my drift! Its 4am I'm probably not making much sense. I'm off to bed. Catch you later.

azulparsnip
06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
New Breeze - very expressive drawings......that green horse is interesting.

Janet - gorgeous flowers....the gold one in the center looks 3 D..lovely

Here's mine ....had it drawn before left for beach and painted it last night - egg tempra , of course.....just love the stuff.

artbyjune
06-23-2009, 02:29 AM
I really like that. You've captured the sense of the hot desert areas.

azulparsnip
06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
thanks June