Title: Rose attempt
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 14X17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi everybody!
After experiments with graphite and charcoal I decided to give another try to colored pencils. I love this medium, but still feel myself complete dork with colors.
I cross-posted it in colored pencils forum.
So, here is attempt to draw a rose.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I started with backgroun and now I am not sure does it work or it looks dorky?
What is your suggestion, should I start new or continue this one?
I am waiting on your advice.

My best wishes,
Alyona

jerryW
08-23-2002, 05:24 PM
so far it is a striking abstract.
why did you take part so far before starting the rest?

giniaad
08-23-2002, 06:08 PM
I,. again (and again)...agree with Jerry...
what you have so far so wonderfully attractive...
why are you not working it up together?!

you handle colored pencils very well...
they are a fantastic medium...love them too
but have not done anything with them in a long while...

if the rest matches what you have already done...
it will be a classic...

keep us posted...and keep going in this piece,
if you feel comfortable with it...
relax...go with the flow...

Alyona
08-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks Jerry and giniaad!
I didn't work on rose by itself from the beginning because I covered it with masking paper to prevent smudging edges - I wanted it crispy on the relatively dark background. Or it is not appropriate way:confused: ?

Now I took out the masking paper and worked just a little on one corner of a petal to show what kind of color rose supposed to be.
Does it match:confused: ?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2002/DSCF0005.JPG
Or this piece is a looser already?:eek:
I think I just in the beginning of my long-long way of exploring colors, so forgive my sort of experiment;) ...

So, should I make background completely dark or live it for a while as it is now:confused: ?

Thanks for attention and help:) ,
Alyona

giniaad
08-23-2002, 06:51 PM
leave the background alone
until you have done the center
then decide...

but the background looks so good
it should dictate what the center does

marry the two

experimenting is the learning process...
inspires new avenues...
always good to do!!!

Paintonbrush
08-24-2002, 10:44 AM
when trying something new, so many questions?? its nice to have Jerry and ginaad to extend a helping hand here.
its gonna look great, seems you;ll learn so much. Looking forward to seeing more.

JustjoGA
08-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Alyona.... the first photo shows your wonderful background well... I hope you won't change that... and the pink petal tip shows that your roses will be really beautiful... please continue as your talent leads... it's going to be spectacular!

KamaraDesigns
08-24-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi!!!

I think your start is great. The reason Jerry and giniaad were asking why you hadn't worked on the whole picture is because when you work on a piece as a whole, it helps to keep the hues and values working together. It also helps with perspective and balance. It's also easier to make adjustments before you've gotten as far as you have on your background. That's the way I was taught in school, but in the end use what works best for you. I find that I'm not a very precise sketcher (aka...not too great a draftsman as my art professor use to say). I have to make a lot of adjust ments and get warmed up so to speak to what I'm drawing. I learn about the subject by putting the lines on the paper...other artist see all of that before they put the line to the paper so they don't need to make as many adjustments.

I think you're doing great and you should finish what you've started. Next you could try working on the picture as a whole and see how it works for you. To prevent smuding, try using tracing paper under your hand...or try using an easel to prop the picture up, if you can. For the crisp edges, there might be something out there like the masking paint they use for water colors.

I can't wait to see your finished work!!

:)

Kim

giniaad
08-24-2002, 11:01 PM
non smudging...well, with pencils...
not sure...it has been a while...
I don't remember that being a factor
as they are so controled...in general...
I just always worked the surface...
made it comply to my will...:evil:...:angel:
and the pencil worked over the smudges rather well.

I am self taught...
there is a book by walter foster...the series...he is dead now...
on acrylics actually...it mensions
friskets...a liquid masking solution
I have never used it...
so I can not advise...
but it may be something to look into
if you think you may need it.

working the entire surface at once is a good thing
but not always the way it goes...
doesn't matter really...
as long as you get to where you are going...

cheers to you!

Alyona
08-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks everybody for attention and comments!
I am still fighting with rose… and darn background:mad: !
How it is so far:confused: ?
Should I quit or continue:confused: ?
Thanks for looking!

Best wishes,
Alyona
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2002/DSCF0002.JPG

JustjoGA
08-27-2002, 06:29 PM
This is beautiful... you have to keep going... the rose is going to be breathtaking...

Alyona
08-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks JustjoGA !
You make me feel little bit better and ok, I am going to continue....
Although that background.... sigh:( .... I dono...

Thanks again:)!
Alyona

KamaraDesigns
08-28-2002, 09:44 AM
I think it's great and that you should keep going!! I'm of the school that you should always finish, or come as close as you can, any piece that you start....even if you hate it. Each piece teaches a lesson, even the ones you hate.

What do you dislike about the background?? I think it's coming along nicely. Do you feel it's not realistic enough for you?? See, it's hard to judge the background without the rose blocked in. You can't measure values yet because there is still so much white showing. Perhaps leave the backgound alone for awhile and work on the rose. Then it will be easier to see what it is that isn't working for you.

Kim

YLCIA
08-28-2002, 11:07 AM
You definetely have to continue ! It looks like it is going to be a stunner.

Julia

Alyona
08-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Thanks Kim and Julia for looking:) !
You really make me wish to finish it:) !

So, still working on my pencil drawing - tired, tired :o ... I hope at the end I will not be to upset with result....:o

Well, here how it looks right now:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2002/DSCF0008.JPG

What do you think?
Any suggestions?
I’ll really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Alyona

YLCIA
08-28-2002, 07:16 PM
It looks very sensual:)

Julia

giniaad
08-28-2002, 07:45 PM
keep going...looking great...
once you have the center done...
you can always pop something
in the background
to bring them together
and still keep them separate...

pencil can work well over pencil...
but better if the surface has not been too worked...

learning...learning...
all good!

huge potential...for this and future works
you should be very happy!

orchidlover6
08-28-2002, 11:00 PM
this is anything but dorky alyonia. the petals look very velvety and i love the colors in the background.

Paintonbrush
08-29-2002, 09:36 AM
My hope is that soon the anxiety will decrease as the pleasure of pencil to paper will increase. you are doing a wonderful job, most wouldnt even try.
:D

sandyartist
08-29-2002, 09:56 AM
You might want to soften (smudge?) some edges of the rear flower petals to give the rose "space" to exist...making it part of the environment....I fight this battle constantly when doing a painting.............leave a little to the imagination of the viewer.
Lovely effort...the background is just fine!!

KamaraDesigns
08-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Hi Alyona...I hope you don't mind me making suggestions again!! You are dong such a wonderful job!!! The petals have great weight to them...I don't mean they're heavy, I mean they have excellent form and shape. You're using the light well. I just have one question....the petal to the left front and the petal in the center front...I don't understand what they are doing. Is the front center petal suppose to be curling into the left large petal?? There might be some issues with the way you have the light hitting these two petals. Perhaps there need to be some light and value changes across these two petals? Does that make sense??

I LOVE the way you brought that leaf around the front of the stem..I also like the small leaves at the base of the rose...it looks like they are folding out of the center with the petals...cool!!

Kim

Alyona
08-29-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks Julia, giniaad, orchidlover6, Paintonbrush for support!
I so hope to finish it today!

Sandyartist thanks for looking and your suggestion! I appreciate it a lot! I made sharp edges of petals it in purpose – I tried to move rose forward, well, sort of…. I didn’t want to let the background “eat” the flower…
So, you think it would be better with soft edges?... Let me think about it…. Hm-m-m, I dono….

Hi Kim! Thanks for your advice! You are right, that petal looks to big and sort of empty. I already worked little bit on it. Looks better for me now. Thanks!

time to go finish it :)!

My best wishes !
Alyona

Alyona
08-29-2002, 05:18 PM
I finished it:) !!!!!!!!! Finally:) !!!!!!!!!
Here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2002/RoseFinal.JPG

Alyona
08-29-2002, 05:19 PM
...and close up:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2002/CloseUp.JPG

what do you think?

My best wishes,
Alyona

Paintonbrush
08-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Its georgous! makes me want to jump in and swim around a bit. super.....we knew you could all along...
;-)

giniaad
08-29-2002, 07:14 PM
fantastic!

you did a wonderful job...
Frame it and be very very happy!

textures
colors
depth
composition...

perfect!
better than real...
yummy!

Alyona
08-29-2002, 07:23 PM
Thanks Paintonbrush ! You make my day :D !

Thanks giniaad !
I am even more happy after your reply :D !

I really glad that it showed up good and I am glad that you didn't let me throw it away in the beginning!

My best wishes!
Alyona

KamaraDesigns
08-29-2002, 10:37 PM
:cool:

GORGEOUS!!!! It's rich and velvety!!! The rose seems to glow!!! You have an excellent grasp of the techniques of colored pencil. It's really beautiful!!! Wanna give me a few lesons??;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kim

Pam B.
08-30-2002, 02:49 AM
Have just caught up with this one. How can you possibly be concerned when you produce this!!!!!!!! It is very beautiful, exquisitely executed and you should go and look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself just how talented and amazing you are! :clap:Stunning!:cat:

Alyona
08-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks Kim and Pam B. for such kind words....blush...:angel: !

Seriously I am really happy you like it:D !

...going start next project ;) ....

My best wishes,
Alyona