PDA

View Full Version : Apple painting

scottsart
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi all,

So I wanted to try something fairly simple for my next piece, so I decided to do an apple and it's spiraled peel. I showed this to my girlfriend, who btw has no artistic ability whatsoever... however she made me question the composition. She said it was too symetrical, which in my opinion isn't always a bad thing. So I was wondering if a few folks could give me their opinion on the composition. I am either going to paint this on masonite or canvas, not sure which yet.

Thanks for looking!

RichDFischer
05-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I might move the complete apple to the left of the spiraled apple and bunch the peelings up and a little to the right. Just my thoughts.

wabbitt
05-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Your girlfriend may not have artistic ability but she has good instincts and a valid critique. I agree with you, symmetry isn't necessarily a bad thing I would just get rid of the the background line in the middle that is dividing the space and emphasizing the symmetry. I like this composition too for its simplicity and shadows. I'd keep the light lines on the table to show depth.

Just my 2 cents...

scottsart
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Julie, thanks. Both the table color and the background color will be solid (no lines). I used pieces of Canson paper for that just so I have a reference color for the photograph.

*dee*
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I like the composition...and I don't think its all that symmetrical. I also like the angle and direction of your light source on the setting. :thumbsup:

scottsart
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Dee. Now let's hope I don't botch the painting itself lol. Hoping to start on this today or this weekend

Flopka
05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Scott: The only "problem" I see contributing to a sense of symmetricality is not the apples, but rather, the straight vertical line in the background. If you leave that out of your painting, you should be fine.

Neat take on the usual apple still life subject!

Lady Carol
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
The composition is not all that symmetrical. maybe she means same shape (circular) and to me that makes it a very coherent piece. I think this will work well.

PB&J
05-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Curious how you peel an apple like that?

objectivistartist
05-30-2009, 06:38 AM
With something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Apple-Potato-Peeler/dp/B0000DE2SS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1243676229&sr=8-4

timelady
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
It's not quite symmetrical but my suggestion: crop off a smidge from the right hand side (say a pinky-width, onscreen-wise) and voila! You composition is then slightly more to the right and that vertical line isn't right at the centre.

Having that extra light empty space on the right doesn't serve any purpose anyway (the shadow space on the left does, as the larger shadow area balances the weight of the unpeeled apple).

Tina.

scottsart
05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Robert, it was in fact EXACTLY that! :D

Tina, as I mentioned above, there will NOT be a vertical line in the composition. That was only pieces of paper to get a general color. The background will be one solid color, with gradation.

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Lol - I didn't think you'd be keeping the overlapping paper line! :rolleyes:

The comp is fine - maybe go with tina's idea of a wee crop from the side - but I like the two apples and the fact one is sliced makes a big difference.
the peel grounds the comp too - hope you enjoy painting it! :D

scottsart
07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Ok so I finally got around to doing this :) I just finished it yesterday morning (although it was really more like really late Monday night) for a show that I am doing.

It is 10" x 20" on Gallery wrapped canvas, used mostly Finity acrylics..

Although I cannot change anything on this for the next month until July, because it is hagning in a library for the next month...

C&C welcome :)

Sorry for the bad photo, I am stillworking on taking better photos of my artwork

susme48
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Scott....wonderful!

Lady Carol
07-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Scott, I would beef up the shadows on the apple to make it look rounder. It seems a little flat. Also the apple appears to be very blue and cool. If you look at the ref it appears to be warmer in colour.

Nicely done though. I like it a lot.

scottsart
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Susan, thank you

Carol, thanks, if it doesn't sell then I will definitely update it when I get it back. There are little things that are bugging me about it too. I will say the photo is just not the same as the real painting

objectivistartist
07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
That is a quite interestingly different rendering, sort of minimalist realism... I rather like it :thumbsup:
[ye ought to go for more like this - is really very intriguing]

scottsart
07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Robert thank you. Yeah it looks a little different in real life. I just can't seem to take a good photo. Especially cause all we have been getting is rain lately.

Glen Ward
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Painted very well, but I think there may be too much wasted space in the painting. I've cropped it for my suggestion.

Roger Evans
09-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I like the lightness of it. I suppose the shadows could be darker if you were trying to duplicate the look of the photo but I get the sense that was not your intent. It has a kind of watercolor look that I like.

Roger

OkeeKat
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
This turned out great, Shapes and colors but its a bit pale looking green, I think more tones of green and yellow, both light and darks, would realy make it pop out!