PDA

View Full Version : Iaps 2009 Happenings!!

Deborah Secor
05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought we should have a thread where we can share what's going on at the convention, as people are now beginning to gather. Today is the first day, with the Australian artists presenting at 1:00 and a Paint Around at 4:00, followed by the welcome reception.

I saw Fred Somers last night--my first 'IAPS event'!

Some of you have maybe done a workshop...? If so, I'd sure like to hear how it went. Nice weather we've had, if you like summer thunderstorms during our dry season! (Pretty scenic, though.)

Let the fun begin!

Deborah

bnoonan
05-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm here... in Seattle.... awaiting the posts.

have a blast! Shop for me! Barb

ourcassidy!
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm over here in Santa Maria CA...know you wilwl all have a great time meeting ans greeting one another...As Barb said..."shop for me"! Pam

Deborah, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

ElsieH
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
:wave:

Have a great time at IAPS!
Tell us all about it!:thumbsup: :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm here at home in Wisconsin wishing I were at IAPS....some year!

aurora70
05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
It's rainy and miserable here in upstate NY, looking forward to hearing about all of the fun!!

johndill01
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't want to rub it in, but it's about 73 degrees under mostly sunny skies. Waiting on registration to start in a few minutes (1 pm local) and then the demo's by several artists from Australia. (I've heard that they always paint upside down here ):lol:

Can't wait for this to get started.

John

Lisa Fiore
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm so so envious!!:envy:

:)

Have fun and please show pictures/paintings/etc!!! :wave:

Deborah Secor
05-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, just so ya don't feel bad... I'm right here in town about 15 minutes from the place, and I can't go until tomorrow morning. Aaagh!

Deborah

Mary_Anne
05-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Great idea Deborah, thanks for this. :thumbsup: It would be sooo nice to be there instead of here - rainy and miserable in good old Ontari-ari-ari-o. Maybe some day...In the meantime, look forward to being there vicariously :wave:

Mary Anne

Punky2
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Deborah for starting this thread.

I'm here enjoying the 53 degree (F) cold, gray, rainy weather in the Chicago area.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear about all of the new stuff at the convention.
Have fun all of you who are there!

Terri

knippes
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Howdie from Albuquerque everyone! IAPS is everything I hoped for and more. I attended the Lorenzo Chavez workshop today and oh my goodness was it amazing. Lorenzo is the nicest guy and is landscapes are phenomenal. He is a fantastic teacher and spent time with each one of us. And I even managed to come out of there with a loosely painted landscape.
I've already gotten to meet quite a few wet canvas members - it certainly helps when you are the only one here with service dogs. Everyone is just as nice in person as they are online. I'm really looking forward to Peggy and Paula's party tomorrow. Tonite is a buffet. Hopefully everyone who couldn't attend this year can go next time. So far it's been amazing!
Kym

CM Neidhofer
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow...sounds very exciting!! I really considered going, but they changed how we earn vacations at work this year and I didn't want to use all my time at once because son and dil in Florida can't decide if they're pregnant or not...:p and I want to make sure I have time off available later in the year should they call to tell me they are!! lol Anyway, I'm really, really planning on going to the next one, wherever it is! Thanks for starting this thread. We'll live vicariously!

Christine

johndill01
05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, have been trying to upload some images and both the image uploader and manage attachments are broke. Again

Will try again tomorrow. The demos by the Australian painters were all very good and the paint around this evening before the buffet were all excellent. Spent most of the evening following the painting started by our own Maggie Price. AMAZING to watch Maggie work. All the other artists were great also. Loads of fun. Had a chance to meet several more WCers.

Going to watch Michael Chesley Johnson demo in the a.m. Couldn't book any more demo's as most of the rest were filled. Huge crowds attending this year.

John

barrykeller
05-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I sure hope someone puts up pics from the paint-around. It was amazing to watch. It was Maggie Price, Urania, Alan Flattman, Sean Dye and Rae Smith. I know Paula and David were snapping a lot of photos.

-Barry

SuzySue
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm having a great time. The weather is wonderful. Took Lorenzo Chavez workshop today and Kym is right. It was really good. Kathryn Day was in the workshop too. It was fun to meet Kym and Kathryn.

adventureartist
05-29-2009, 01:12 AM
I was in Lorenzo's workshop! It sure was fun watching his demo and then getting pointers from him as we did works of our own. He's a wonderful teacher. I am really happy with my landscape and of course seeing everyone else's paintings in progress was great fun! Tomorrow is the trade show/candy store!!:D

CJMonty
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like Fun everyone, have a drink or 2 for me at your WC room party now won't you, just don't eat too many nibblies for me now.

Tomorrow when you all go to the Candy Store do some virtual shopping for me too, I can't imagine being amongst all those different varieties of Soft Pastels and all that goes with them, it would be like heaven.

Take Care All and have loads of fun and learn loads, don't break those bank accounts too much or burn too much plastic, you will only have to repair the damage later on.

Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart::wave::thumbsup::wave::clap:

MChesleyJohnson
05-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Good morning! I spent yesterday in Duane Wakeham's master workshop, "Thinking about Painting." Supply list consisted of pencil and notepaper. What? you may ask, A workshop that doesn't involve painting? You bet! It was a wonderful day, and it got us all focussed on putting more thought into our work. Design, color, why we are making a particular painting in the first place - good stuff. In the afternoon, we went through all the images that we sent him. (He requested four images from each person.) It was amazingly instructive to hear his critiques.

Paint-a-round - what a crowd! It was hard to get close, but I could see that the artists were working intently.

Then the buffet. I sat with some from the WC crowd. A good time.

Alas, I've come down with a cold. Coffee and some Sudafed will help me in my demonstration this morning.

Film at 11.

plindley
05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Okay guys... I gotta tell you that 'IAPS ENVY' is a pretty ugly thing and I fear that it is just goin'a get wAAAAAAay worse over the next few days.:p The weather report was enough to do it for me! I guess I will just have to start putting my pennies and frequent flyer points away for next year!

Usually there is just too much at these events to 'do it all'....if you guys could give us pointers on the best way to tackle it (i.e. must-do's and allow-enough-time-for's) that would be helpful for next year.... assuming there are enough pennies in the jar by then!

Have a ball all!!!!:thumbsup:

Scottyarthur
05-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks Deborah this is great, can't wait to see some of the fun everyone is having, wish I could be there to meet everyone, maybe next year. Photos Photos lets have some photos, :) show and tell :)

knippes
05-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, its Friday morning and the trade show just opened. Talk about a candy store - WOW. Pastels everywhere. If you don't enjoy crowds, I suggest waiting - all sorts of folks made a beeline for the doors as soon as the opened. I'm going back later and am going to some serious SHOPPING! I did get to stop by the Spectrafix booth and got two cans before they ran out. And I also got to meet Deborah and see some of her 15 paintings in person. I've got to say, as beautiful as they are on the web, they are even better in person - gorgeous! It has been so much fun to meet everyone in person. What a great experience. Today I'm taking classes from Jimmy Wright and Leslie B DeMille. Jimmy Wright's class is The Sunflower - Capturing the Visual Drama and Leslie B DeMille's is a portrait demonstration.
I sure wish I wasn't so exhausted after Lorenzo Chavez's class yesterday, becuase I was really inspired to get outside and paint some more landscapes.
-Kym

Eilene
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Ohhh how I wish I could be there!!

bnoonan
05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Pace yourselves.... sounds like it's going to be an intense trip.

Someone has to do me a favor and give Kim Lordier a hug and pinch Richard McKinley in the arm for me.

Oh and the biggest hug to you Deborah!!!

Barb

ElsieH
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM

OH, Envy, Envy, Envy!:p
Think I need to start my IAPS travel piggy bank and get myself there next year! :heart:

Thanks for the reports! Have a great time. Shop for neat new stuff.
Enjoy!:clap:

Shari
05-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this doesn't happen every year - only every OTHER year!! We all have to wait till then!!

ElsieH
05-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Ok, every other year....a better chance for me to save $$$$ to go!:lol:

MChesleyJohnson
05-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I, too, hit the vendor show - and, I too, fell for Terry Ludwig's luscious pastels! I only bought a small box of 8, but I suspect I'll be back before the show is over.

After my demo, I headed over to the PJ Tenth Anniversary Extravaganza. Excellent cake! And a wonderful slide show by Anne Hevener, Sarah Strickley and Jamie Markle. I had a chance to say hello to some of my favorite pastelists - Albert Handell, Bob Rohm, and, later, Doug Dawson.

Following that, it was off to the ASTM Pastel Standards talk. Fascinating. Michael Skalka of the National Gallery reports that, in the ASTM tests, fully 1/3 of all pastels fail the lightfastness test. There IS no standard today for pastels, and he is pushing for the manufacturers to get on board.

And, of course, the WC Social! Chatted with Peggy, Deborah (and husband) for a bit before the cold took its toll and I had to head out. Need to save up strength for tomorrow night's banquet.....

Kathryn Wilson
05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
This is so wonderful to read for those of us who can't be there. I'm hoping that we'll eventually see photos.

Tracy Lang
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Great thread...almost live blogging... I love reading about all of your experiences, workshops, meetups and purchases!!! Thank you :)

Tracy

Deborah Secor
05-29-2009, 10:52 PM
It's 8:45 at night here and I am plenty pooped--but smilin'! :D What a day! I painted in the luxurious space next to the PJ booth off and on all day, although in fact it was more talking than painting. Every time I'd get turned toward the easel somebody else would walk up and say, "Deborah?" and the hugs started again. It's so much fun to meet people you already know!

I did my product demo for Pan Pastels this morning, with a steady stream of interested observers, some great questions, and worked on two paintings. I think they served to show the product, though they are less than finished. PanPastels have NEW extra dark colors, plus (MOST exciting of all) new trays for the Pans! You can put 20 Pans in one tray, put the lid over the top, tape it up and you are good to go. I taped all three of mine together and now I could easily go out on location with them. :thumbsup:

I also attended the PJ's anniversary party and got hugs from Duane Wakeham and my old friend Janie Hutchinson, among many others. Anne put together a dandy show of paintings from some people special to the PJ's history and it was like a nice visit with an old friend to sit and watch the pieces flash up on the screen.

And then the PARTY! Picture two hotel rooms practically stuffed to capacity, with people sitting on the beds, leaning against the walls, out on the deck (watching a bride walk down the aisle outdoors--gorgeous dress!) and spilling out into the hallway periodically, with even more hugging and more talking, talking, talking. I wish you ALL had been there, but we'd have needed to rent a hall, I think. If my feet hadn't hurt so much I'd have stayed a lot longer!

I fell to the Terry Ludwig come on--AND wait until you see the NEW confetti pastels he's making!! As soon as I can I'll take pix for you...but picture a mother color, say muted orange, with little bitty flecks of all kinds of unexpected colors in it. You put down a stroke and you have all kinds of colors! No excuse not to have broken color now!

I know there's more to tell but I have to go get some sleep so I can do it again tomorrow. We're thinking of all of you who aren't here with us. SAVE YOUR PENNIES (or tuck away the twenties) and plan to join us in 2011.

Deborah

barrykeller
05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I bought the semi-hard Richeson reds (75 cents a stick) to replace my Nupastel reds and will slowly transition my Nupatels to Richesons, which are a little bit softer, but still hold that nice hard edge. I bought the Heilman back-pack box and 24 in easel and a couple of Richeson gator board panels.

I picked up a commission for a book cover after lunch and rushed back for the Leslie B. DeMille portrait demo in the afternoon. Amazing work from (gulp) Rembrandts! And on velour no less!

The WC party was a blast. Someone with a better memory than I will have to list the "celebs" who showed up, but Paula, David, Tom, Peggy and all the rest were there. Youse guys missed a good one! I has just bought a set of 30 Terry Ludwig darks before the party and my fingers were still dripping with pigment as I thanked Terry (I'm picking up 30 more Ludwigs in the morning) before I take the six-hour DeMille portrait master class.

Afterwards, Dayle and I went to dinner at the Church Street Cafe where we have been eating breakfast every morning (yeah, the food is that good) and ended up sitting next to Terry and the whole gang from the Ludwig booth. I told Terry how good the breakfast was there, but he was disappointed to find out they opened at 8:00, the same time as the candy store. I asked Terry how many sticks I could have for a breakfast burrito. He said we could negotiate in the morning.

-Barry

barrykeller
05-29-2009, 11:37 PM
From the Leslie B. DeMille demo: Rembrandts on velour!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2009/115519-finished.jpg

artist_pw
05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi:

I attended the two day preconvention Richard McKinley workshop and wow, without a doubt, it was absolutely great, even though we were sort of crammed in like sardines in the room. I took a lot of notes, and really have to get them organized. Earlier today, I also went to the McKinley's demo "Utilizing an Underpainting" which had I really known the content of the workshop, I probably wouldn't have attended this, but all is not bad - because I took a little stereo recorder and so far, in listening to it the resulting mp3, I got a pretty good recording and I'll check to make sure before, but I'd be happy to share it. I had actually intended to use it during the workshop, but of course, in the rush to get to class, darn - I forgot it both days. I'll do more of an update later, but I am so pooped right now, but happy! :)

adventureartist
05-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey all,
I had a wonderful day, and it sure was fun meeting and talking to WC folks at the party. We had a front row box balcony in one room to watch a beautiful wedding, the bride was just gorgeous in her lace bridal gown. And the views of the eastern mountains at sunset were great. I bugged out a half hour early, got to pace myself and rest when I can.
Demos, classes are really full, I counted close to eighty or more in some, so all these teachers are attracting quite the audience! The trade show at 8:00 AM was like a sale at Macy's, but most the vendors handled it well for the first few hours, then things slacked off a bit when folks went to classes. Most had brought enough stock so it was OK in the end. And the organizers have been doing a wonderful job helping everyone. If yer gonna come next time, and plan on buying, bring a dolly, cause stuff is often 40% to 50% off the normal prices and you can't beat those numbers. And Artisan of Albuquerque is there to arrange shipping home of all items, so that is really NEATO! So now you can fly and buy with no qualms about extra airport fees.:thumbsup: Time for bed, hugs to all.:wave:

Shirl Parker
05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
What's the paint-around?

Punky2
05-30-2009, 08:51 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to all of the folks for posting all of this great info and fun that you're having for those of us who can't attend IAPS. It's much appreciated, especially since you all must be tired and very busy.
It's great fun to read!

Terri

Kathryn Wilson
05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Shirl - the paint around is a great event at IAPS - the 5 artists are each given a photo to paint from for a specified amount of time, and after that time is up, they each move to the next painting that has been started by the previous artist, and they work on that one for a specified amount of time. They continue the paint around until all five artists have worked on all five paintings. I am hoping someone has taken photos and will post them here so we can see the progress shots and the finished paintings. In the past, they have auctioned off the paintings at the end of IAPS.

Now, this may have all been modified from the last time that I attended IAPS 2 years ago, but you get the gist of it.

Shirl Parker
05-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Kathryn. We did an exercise like that in a drawing class once. It was only one drawing, but everyone worked on it.

johndill01
05-30-2009, 02:16 PM
It looks like Barry is the only one who can post pics. I have been trying since Thursday afternoon, using two different browsers and using both the uploader and manage attachments without any luck. Also, the pics are resized to 800 x 600.

John

rgb
05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Psssst, John, find Barry and asked him to upload your pics.

... * ... waiting impatiently for more pics ... * ...

:clap:

Deborah Secor
05-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm home from the convention earlier than most but I have a workshop on Monday and Tuesday & I need time to organize! I couldn't very well pack up my materials and supplies because of doing the demo yesterday for Pans, plus I picked up a lot of new things to show and play with at the workshop. Now I need to make all those final decisions and get set.

The trade show was much more mellow today, a lot more folks just cruising around "filling in the cracks" of what they missed yesterday. It was really fun to sit at the PJ booth and have all the famous artists drop by to say hi and schmooze a little with Anne and Jamie Markle (her boss, and a really nice guy!)

I talked to Phil Bates a bit and saw a touching video he made. He'll have to tell you the name of the Christian singer (mind gone blank) but Phil used his stunning video images to illustrate the song and I was literally in tears when it ended. Gorgeous work! Multi-talented man, our Phil.

There was a painting of Kim Lordier's hanging on the wall across the aisle from the booth and I have to tell you I was drooling over it the whole time. Kim--sorry about the drool marks on the glass! Trust me, if I had $1400 to spend it would be on my wall right now. (I hope I got the price right--numbers just seem to slip out of my mind. Anyway, I know it was more than I could afford. :rolleyes:)

Oh, and yes, Kat, that's how they ran the paint-around this year, too, except I thought the artists supplied their own pix. Not sure... The auction is still going on for the five paintings.

Hope we see some more good pix of the show soon!! Egads, that painting of Les DeMille's is flat gorgeous!

I think a short nap is in my near future. It's been so much fun but I'm done in. I know, I know, I hear someone muttering 'lightweight', don't tell me! :lol:

Deborah

saramathewson
05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm hoping to be able to make it in two years. From the sounds of things I will definitely have to pace myself. I will not be able to do as many workshops as most people because I need to take a nap during the day. I used to be in Mary Kay and one year went to the Seminar in Dallas(2006). It was great, but I did pace myself and missed some things which was ok. But I ended up in a full flare afterwards. I think its to be expected when I go to events like this. But just to meet everyone and to go to the WC party and to be there for the candy store I think those things alone would be worth it! I'm so appreciative of all of you posting about your time there. That portrait by Leslie B. DeMille is amazing and with Rembrandts no less! wow! Barry I have both of the dark sets from Terry Ludwig and you won't regret buying them. I use them in just about every painting. Love them! I have a mixture of different brands, but when I counted up, I have more Ludwigs than any other brand. I just received my Mount Vision pastels that I ordered a few days ago with the sale they were having. Talk about fast service! I think they got here in two days! And they are wonderful. I will be buying more of these. I did have a set of their darks, but now with more colors to use I am like a little kid. I can just imagine how I will feel in the "candy store". I'm saving my money starting now! LOL! Luckily we live close enough to drive. Its a days drive away so I won't have to worry about air fare so that is a plus! I hope we get to see more pics. I wish I was there for your workshop after the convention Deborah. I hope you do that next time. Although I imagine by then I will be pretty pooped! Maybe you could do it before the convention next time?<G> I hope everyone has a great time and I hope more of you will be able to post here from time to time. Thanks again guys!

Sara

water girl
05-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I had to miss this year's IAPS, but will hopefully make it next time. Has anyone heard where the next one will be?

barrykeller
05-31-2009, 12:31 AM
John,

It took me about four hours of trying to get that one picture up. I got it up once and then asked for a preview of my message and lost everything and had to start over again. Some of it is not WC, some of it is the spotty wi-fi on the 9th floor of the hotel. It comes and it goes.

Today I bought 30 more Ludwigs, 500ml jar of Lascaux pastelground and a 10-pack of 12x18 Uart 500. Tomorrow, before we leave, I go back for one more thing...

-Barry

adventureartist
05-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Late night tonight with the dinner awards and presentations. I will jump in feet first and congratulate Maggie Price for having the torch of President of the IAPS being handed to her today by the founder of the organization Urania Christy Tarbet. CONGRATULATIONS!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

MChesleyJohnson
05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
OK, I'm back from my early-morning Starbucks trip. It's the last day. Today I'm looking forward to sessions with DeMille and McKinley. Then it's off to El Paso to teach a three-day workshop...

After my demo yesterday, I saw a beautiful presentation by Lorenzo Chavez. It was a snow painting done on a mid-value Canson, and it was really neat to see the sunlit snow magically appear when he put in the blue shadows. The sunlit effect happened thanks to the temperature/value contrast of the shadows; although he scumbled some lighter pastel over the sunlit area, he almost didn't need it - the toned paper worked well enough.

After a quick lunch with Bob Rohm and the Australian contingent, I went to Kim Lordier's demo. Phil Bates was running a video camera and projecting closeups of her surface on a screen (he did the same for Lorenzo), and this really helped the audience to see what was going on. I wish I'd had him for my demos! Kim did an evocative, dramatic coastal scene. It was nice to see how it evolved; it was like watching a photo being developed (for those of you who remember such an antique medium!)

The banquet went on till 10 - gosh, way past my bedtime! But it was great to see such worthy people honoured. I especially enjoyed the presentation by Isabel Roche on the Roche line of pastels that she has resurrected. Although they are tres expensive, I think I may have to buy one...or several. I'll stop by her booth this morning.

Paula Ford
05-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello everybody! I've had the most wonderful time here at IAPS. Am packing and headed home first thing in the morning. Bought lots of goodies and met the most incredible Wetcanvas members. We had a fabulous time at the Wetcanvas social and all the classes were wonderful except the rooms were so cold! I've got a ton of photos to post when I get home. i'm replying via my cell phone so you'll just have to wait until tomorrow night for all the pictures. See you all soon!

Maggie P
05-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Late night tonight with the dinner awards and presentations. I will jump in feet first and congratulate Maggie Price for having the torch of President of the IAPS being handed to her today by the founder of the organization Urania Christy Tarbet. CONGRATULATIONS!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks! The banquet was quite an exciting event for all of us.

The main part of the convention is over now and I am home, checking email and posts and getting back in touch with the [allegedly] real world. Tomorrow I teach an IAPS-sponsored post-convention workshop which runs for two days and then it is really over. But then, there's the opening at the Ventana gallery of the IAPS show, and we are all looking forward to that.

I hope all who came to the convention had a wonderful time. It was nice to meet in person at the party and other events!

ElsieH
05-31-2009, 10:24 PM

Congrats, Maggie P.!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks to all who have posted IAPS notes here for us all to enjoy!:heart:

CM Neidhofer
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Sure wish someone at WC could get the pic uploader working. Would love to see some IAPS pics, as well as post some of my own recent pics. Haven't been able to do that in a while now. Any ideas, anyone:confused:

Christine

ourcassidy!
05-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks to all who have posted this info...sounds like a delightful few days! \Anyone take a look at the pan pastel booth...what are the new colors? How about the carriers? Pam

Deborah Secor
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Congrats, Maggie!! :clap: :clap: Now I wish I'd gone to the banquet...

I did a Pan product demo. The new colors are extra dark and will be available in a month or so! The carriers are plastic and you can snap in 20 colors to each one. There's a cover, too. You have to tape them together to carry them. It's great--I can carry all 60 colors to my workshop now. Ladd said he planned a carrier for 10 Pans, too.

Looking forward to seeing pix, too...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Sure wish someone at WC could get the pic uploader working. Would love to see some IAPS pics, as well as post some of my own recent pics. Haven't been able to do that in a while now. Any ideas, anyone:confused:

Christine

I thought it was determined that people at IAPS couldn't upload because of the wireless network was not strong enough;

but,

we can't help here if we don't know about more problems other than at IAPS (I just tested and the uploader worked for me)

adventureartist
05-31-2009, 11:58 PM
I looked at the new colors and ordered a set, more shades than before umber/sienna and others. The pan trays are shallow and larger than three pans wide, I think it was four pans wide and at least eight long, maybe Donna can chime in here and give better dimensions. I didn't buy any as I usually hold each color in my hand as I use it any ways. It was obvious they are for in studio, clear in color, and they do stack, but they were too flexible for transport, say plein air. Donna's design of gator board is more conducive to travel and smaller easier to use, which is what I am currently doing with them. That way, with the top tray as a lid and container for the tools, I just strap them closed with a back packing strap for sleeping bags and they fit perfectly into a large camera bag which I had laying around. I was hoping the new trays were going to be sturdy, but they are not for hauling around unless you are really careful as they are flexible. But if you are looking for studio trays they are just fine and they were very reasonably priced. Almost everything was deeply discounted at the trade show, so I bought the new colors and they are shipping for free.
And yes the internet connections are bad here, sorry folk but nothing we could do about it, those returning home will upload what they have asap.
Were are all pretty wiped out from having fun,:lol: and for some of us it's not over as Maggie has said, we have two more days of outdoor workshops and then the gallery opening in Santa Fe.

artist_pw
06-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Hi:

I am back home now, and one of my cats is so happily purring next to me right now. Today, I ran through the vendor area and snapped some photos to capture the atmosphere in there, and if I would have been thinking better (my poor little noggin is stuffed), I would have done it on the first day rather than the last. MAPS members were so well represented - in no particular order, Kathy Drungilas (our current president), Donna Aldridge, Donna Yeager, Loretta Feeback and hubbie John Feeback, JoAnne Christensen, Elaine Leirly-Jones, Janet Owczarzak, Molly Longhofer, Gary Ozias, Ray Hassard and me. If I missed anyone, I do apologize.

I actually attended two demo/presentations today from Duane Wakeham and Alan Flattmann and did sound recordings of their presentations like I had the McKinley one. It was sort of funny, because it seemed like the only one who sort of stopped talking a bit while working at the easel was Flattmann. I also asked Wakeham why he didn't have a DVD or two, but he didn't really answer. The recordings may have a bit of extra noise that I might be able to strip out some time using the MixCraft software I have because I think one of the updates that's coming along sometime may be to split out the component sound tracks in an MP3, so if that happens, I'll edit the files.

Donna A
06-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Hi, everyone! I came home on the same plane as Paula and Molly tonight! Felt soo good to be home, tho I would have loved three or four days of more IAPS! Will share adventures tomorrow! Was so busy I never got to the computer! ZZZZZ sounds really good right now! Love and Hugs! Donna ;-}

CM Neidhofer
06-01-2009, 04:03 AM
I thought it was determined that people at IAPS couldn't upload because of the wireless network was not strong enough;

but,

we can't help here if we don't know about more problems other than at IAPS (I just tested and the uploader worked for me)

I wasn't at IAPS and I can understand the connection thing. But I haven't been able to upload any pics for a while now.

Christine

Lisa Fiore
06-01-2009, 06:49 AM
I haven't been able to use the uploader for some time now, either. Not on my old computer nor my brand new one. I've tried turning off firewalls, antivirals, pop-up blockers, but nothing works. It is frustrating. I can usually upload by copy/paste, however.

Like many others, I'm really looking forward to seeing those pictures!! Come on guys, fill up the thread with photos for those of us that can only imagine!! :lol: :)

Kathryn Wilson
06-01-2009, 07:06 AM
I am talking to an Admin about the uploader problems.

Please PM me if you are not able to upload photos. I'll take it from there - when you PM, let me know where in the process your uploading fails. e.g. clicking on the photo ???

I'd like to leave this thread for the great photos that are going to be coming our way from IAPS - so if you are having problems, just PM me.

MChesleyJohnson
06-01-2009, 07:28 AM
It was a long day yesterday - DeMille then McKinley, with a quick bite between the two for lunch. (30 minutes is hardly enough time between sessions!) DeMille is a master of the quick portrait and showed us how he does a variety of facial features. McKinley took us through his way of finishing up work. The man does talk a torrent!

Then it was off to drop off the rental car and to have my El Paso hosts pick me up in their mega-RV. Now I'm in Texas and getting ready for my post-IAPS workshop!

Photos? I only took a couple - one of my demo, another of the little chile pepper pastel Terry Ludwig gave me. I was too busy paying attention to take photos! :)

Dot Hoffman
06-01-2009, 09:40 AM
The convention was just so great. My schedule was filled everyday with demos, and by the end of Sunday I was dragging:lol: ! It was such fun to meet so many new (to me) friends from WC, and to see the old ones again.
Every single demo I attended was EXCELLENT! Our Tom is the nicest man, and Kim is a delight! I came away feeling filled to the brim with ideas. Maggie's demo was wonderful, too, with everyone bombarding her with questions.

I believe there were about 600 people attending, and only one person was a no show. Amazing. I'm already standing in line for the next one:cat:

Today I'm off to Deborah's workshop........:wave:

saramathewson
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Dot, have fun at Deborah's workshop. Wish I could be there! I don't know how you all can still have enough energy for another workshop! Michael have a good workshop in El Paso. Gee, last year we lived in Las Cruces, so I could have easily gone to your workshop. I'm hoping to make one of your Sedona ones though. I hope some of you who did take pics will be able to post them soon.

Sara

artist_pw
06-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi:

I'm going to try to upload some images - here are the new "confetti" Terry Ludwig pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/28377-IMG_0697.jpg

Here are some of the folks at the Terry Ludwig area -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/28377-IMG_0698.jpg

Some TL pastels - and look - they now have numbers - YEA!!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/28377-IMG_0721.jpg

I was having some problems taking photos because people were choosing their goodies, so Terry nicely held up some sets for me!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2009/28377-IMG_0726.jpg

I'll add some more photos in a bit - are these the sort you want to see - if so, I'll be happy to do that. :)

Scottyarthur
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
great some photos, and Terry is looking good, he is such a nice person, very helpful, and his pastels are great. can't wait to see more photos

ElsieH
06-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Oh, Wow! I'd go crazy like a kid in a candy shop or a pastel artist at the Terry Ludwig shop!:lol:

"I'll take one of those and one of those and ........":p

Thanks for posting the great pix!

Phil Bates
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I had a great time. Meeting everyone in person was the best!

I talked to Phil Bates a bit and saw a touching video he made. He'll have to tell you the name of the Christian singer (mind gone blank) but Phil used his stunning video images to illustrate the song and I was literally in tears when it ended. Gorgeous work! Multi-talented man, our Phil.
Deborah

Thanks Deborah, her name is Shannon Wexelberg and the song was "Pour Your Spirit Out".

It was great seeing you there. :)

Phil

barrykeller
06-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Oh, Wow! I'd go crazy like a kid in a candy shop or a pastel artist at the Terry Ludwig shop!:lol:

"I'll take one of those and one of those and ........":p

Thanks for posting the great pix!

Terry had the choice location, right in front of the only doors into the room. You had to stare at those colors before you could even think about shopping for anything else. I bought 30 the first day, 30 the next day and 8 confettis on Sunday as I valiantly tried to get out of there without spending too much. All-in-all, I ended up the show with 160 new pastels. Damn you Terry Ludwig!!!!!!

-Barry

artist_pw
06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi:

I noticed Peggy B started another post convention thread, so I'm going to post the rest of the photos over there since this thread is getting long. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. :)

nana b
06-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi ! I had a great time at the convention and got to see quite a few WCers! I slept 12 hrs last night...good to be back home!
I'm going to try to upload five photos of the five paintings that was done at the "Paint Around". The only names of the five artist that come to me right now is Maggie Price and Urania...sorry...somebody will chime in hopefully;)
It was really crowded so the photos arn't the best. I wonder what they auctioned off for...I would like to have had Maggie's that she started and finished.

More later:)

nana

Maggie P
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi ! I had a great time at the convention and got to see quite a few WCers! I slept 12 hrs last night...good to be back home!
I'm going to try to upload five photos of the five paintings that was done at the "Paint Around". The only names of the five artist that come to me right now is Maggie Price and Urania...sorry...somebody will chime in hopefully;)
It was really crowded so the photos arn't the best. I wonder what they auctioned off for...I would like to have had Maggie's that she started and finished.

More later:)

nana

The other paint-around artists were Sean Dye, Rae Smith and Alan Flattmann. Thanks for posting the photos! It was a fun event.

nana b
06-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Maggie for filling in the gaps. Your demo and hands on class was so much fun and you made it look so easy! I hope to see you in the near future! Thanks!

nana

IdahoHat
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Hello Nana - I saw a number of photos of you in Paula's uploads. You are looking great and am so envious of your attendance at the convention. I have spent a whole afternoon on the computer "attending the convention" through everyone else's experience and having a grand time. I followed up a link to Lorenzo Chavez website and noticed he shows at the Grapevine Gallery there in Oklahoma City. Have you been to that gallery? It's in the 800 block of 39th St. Next time, I'm in town, I hope to visit that gallery.

Glad you had a wonderful time. Happy painting.

nana b
06-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi IdahoHat! Wish you could have been there! It was exciting and inspiring!

Yes, Lorenzo told me that he and Bill Hosner would be here in the city "next month", which is this month, (hope I got that right). I plan on going to see all their work and possibly see them too. I talked to Bill and almost got a picture with him but my camera was acting up:( .

When you come up, give me a call! I sold a painting today or should I say the Gallery sold one. Good thing, our air conditioner wasn't working when we came in from Albuquerque and that cost a pretty penny. It could have been worse because it actually had flamed up and could have burned our house down!

nana

barrykeller
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
The main part of the convention is over now and I am home, checking email and posts and getting back in touch with the [allegedly] real world.
After much consideration, I have determined that the "real" world is not nearly as much fun as the IAPS world. Just sayin'. Congrats Maggie and see you in 2011.

-Barry

Finnegan18
06-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Where can one find the new Terry Ludwig confetti pastels? I would love to be able to use them to apply broken color.

nvcricket
06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
terryludwig.com of course! I just checked and they are so new they aren't being offered on his website. But he is so kind and nice, just call them or email him and I'm sure they would love to discuss the confetti! I have some my sister picked up for me at the convention, and I absolutely love them. I took them out to a plein air event last weekend, and used them on all three of my paintings! Nothing replaces that dark eggplant though!

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1.888.795.1232 (Toll Free - US only) (303) 795-1232
FAX: (303) 942-3651

Carol

(I am not affiliated with Terry Ludwig) Just love and heap praises on his pastels!

Finnegan18
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you Carol. I just went to his website. They aren't offered there yet. I e-mailed his customer service, letting them know of my interest. I agree with you that they are worth promoting and think you do all of us a service to do so. We want to keep him thriving so as to ensure continued availability and who knows, perhaps some more gorgeous colors!