PDA

View Full Version : Colville Mill Fire

Dave Carter
08-23-2002, 12:57 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-23-2002/3007_MillFire-ColvilleWA-2a.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-23-2002/3007_MillFire-ColvilleWA-2b.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Colville Mill Fire
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 6x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Saw this image on the news and had to paint Fit in with the series I'm doing.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should keep on with this series?

ellenf
08-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Very moody, frightening image. I looked at it before I read your notes. Thought you must have been there and painted from life. But you did this from a television shot? Pretty darn good, I'd say.

JustjoGA
08-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Your series is very moving, Dave ... I think you should continue with it.... giving people who weren't there these images to hopefully encourage people everywhere to be careful about fire/matches in wooded areas, whether forest or near residential.... I think your paintings fulfill a purpose....

Dave Carter
08-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Thanks you two! Once I start a series it seems to last forever. "Shorelines" of Puget Sound is an example. Started it in 1973 with just 2 paintings. Skipped a year here and there, but in the last few days I added 4 new paintings to the series for a total of maybe 30 or more. Sold most over the years so I don't have an accurate count and the records are in a box, stack, drawer or dump somewhere.:rolleyes:

artbabe21
08-24-2002, 04:52 PM
These are difficult to look at for they scare me, living in the forest......with all the fires of past years and CO has had such a lengthy bad fire season....my heart goes out to all who lost their loved ones or homes.

But I know you are recording life and it's not all beautiful, that's for sure...well done.

Dave Carter
08-25-2002, 01:33 PM
I too, live in a forest. That was the main motivation for choosing this as a subject. There is only one road leading out of town and not much to speak of in the way of firebreaks. Very worrisome. Our little town was indentified by the Forest Service as being "most vulnerable"!

Wayne Gaudon
08-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Our little town was indentified by the Forest Service as being "most vulnerable"!
Yikes .. would like to see more variation in the black .. ie a few shades added to it but hey, it works as is .. one sees fire!

limits
08-25-2002, 03:56 PM
very good painting of a scary situation, captured a terrifying moment