PDA

View Full Version : Flamboyant Tree

tonyjazz
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
16 x 20 canvas. A fast commision for a visitor to the island that wanted to take back someting typical from PR. Specifically asked for a flamboyant tree in full bloom. Had to rush this one as she was leaving the next day for the states. C&C's welcome........although I can't fix anything as it's sold and gone!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2009/103497-100_6648.jpg

LavenderFrost
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Very nice, especially those mountains. Would have liked to see a bit more detail on the trees, but that's me... tree loving detail freak. :lol:

susme48
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice job Tony!! Wish we had something tourists would like...or even come and see...:lol: That is a scene I would love to see in person!

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Your poinciana tree Tony? (hope I spelled that right ;))

Very colourful painting - like those mountains especially :D

chammi kaiser
05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
I like the mountains too Tony. I have seen these trees in Mauritius and in several parts of South Africa and just feel you could pep them up a little with a brighter red and more shadows between the cluster of flowers, in a deep rich purply red.

tonyjazz
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Lavender: Thanks for the comments. I whisked through this one too fast, rush job. Not used to that yet.

Thanks Susan, maybe one day you can see this!

Thanks Maureen, this one is in one of those winding, old mountain roads.......1 hour away from my house. The mountains were easy! C-Blue and gray mix with knife and let BG color show through as highlights.

Thanks for the comments Chammi. I made the mistake of taking the pic of the artwork after I varnished it. Wrecks havoc on color saturation and strong reflections. I want to try this again, with more time. These trees sell well here, especially with an old wooden house on small stilts, a journey back into time. The red flowers have a real powerful color I didn't quite capture on this one. As the petals fall off they drop to the road and as cars pass by they get whisked on the grass, and form a cool red color on the ground. TJ