PDA

View Full Version : Just Breathe and Guardian

Soul Expressions
05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Hello there! I have not posted in quite some time, life just got away from me. I have two new paintings to share. The first is Just Breathe, it is an 18x24 acrylic on canvas. I recently went on my first women's retreat with my church to Williams, AZ. It really was an amazing weekend and I took these photos while out on break. The title of the weekend was "Breath" (as in breathe in God's mercy, power, and peace. Therefore I title this painting Just Breathe. I hope you enjoy it, critiques welcome. Next is a miniature 8x8 titled Guardian. This painting is from a photo taken by an amazing friend of mine out at Bartlett Lake, in Arizona. I loved the very distinct rock formation contrasting with the desert in bloom. I titled it, Guardian, as it stands guard through the tests of time, weathering any storm, to be renewed once again. Thanks, Lucy

susme48
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Both are very beautiful!!!

noodle1
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Lucy these are both so lovely. As is the inspiration for them as well.
Second is very tranquil and peaceful. I have a "breathe" in the works, Eden's Breath, the name came before the concept so I'm struggling a bit, hope it's as beautiful as these. Your colors are marvelous in both and I love your style. Truly stunning both of them. Full of grace.

Elaine

Aires
05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Absolutely beautiful work - great handling of color. I am struck with the beauty of the water in the second painting. Good to see you back posting again.

Georgi
05-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Both are lovely, Lucy. Well done! :clap: :clap:

Cheers,
Georgi :cat:

bairam
05-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Very lovely paintings.

Painter Nan
05-27-2009, 07:13 AM
These are lovely. I like the wisp of white clouds and wonder how you did it?? I have tried and failed with this kind of clouds and maybe need more wet paint?
the atmosphere in the distance is very nice.
I also love the water in the 2nd one. in the foreground you can see to the bottom but still it reads as water, I will have to study that to see how to do it.

arl
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Beautiful. I love the colours.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
these are amazing!

nithya_swamy
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
The second painting is fabulous, I love the work on the water. The first one's great too, both very cool. My favorite is the second one :)

TxAggieDarlin
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I have been waiting to see you again LOL....I loved the one you did after working with Jerry (my hero lol) and I had forgotten your name...THIS time I went to your web site and enjoyed the beautiful work you do....Everything is just beautiful!! Love the new ones as well as the old ones LOL...great talent and enjoy the Harley lol

LavenderFrost
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Both paintings are really beautiful!

BeeCeeEss
05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Lovely and tranquil. I love your technique. I did a double take and said to myself, "These are acrylics?" Bravo!

Beverly

Soul Expressions
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback. I really liked your comment, Elaine, "full of grace". To answer Nancy, I underpainted the sky first and the last tree line and then went back in with a drybrush scumbling technique to put in the soft clouds and soften the tree line making it more atmospheric. I use a bristle brush faily dry but the paint is actuall very creamy, I just don't put much on my brush. Then I lightly scumble, like a glaze over the whole area. Usually I just thin with water as in this case, occasionally I will use a little glazing medium. I did that a little in the water. The best advise I can give you not being able to show you is to watch Jerry Yarnell, he demostrated these techniqes often so you can see it done. As for the water, I rough blocked in all the colors in the water, on the ground, and the sky areas. Then As I build the banks up, as I used each color I would also drop it into the water for the reflection. Last I added all the whitish squiggles and lines to show movement on top of the water. I brightened certain areas of that where I wanted to control eye flow. After all this I assessed that I still needed to glaze in a little more sky color so I did that as well. Thank you TxAggieDarlin for your great feedback! I am glad you liked my website. On my homepage, I do have a button at the bottom to be added to my email list. I send out about once a month my new paintings and event updates if you are interested. Thank to all of you once again, I guess I will call this painting complete then! :)

RichDFischer
05-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Nice to see you Lucy! I still want to thank you for contribution and prayers for our family. Your paintings are beautiful. Hope to see you soon!

Lady Carol
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Lucy, wonderful work.

OkeeKat
05-29-2009, 04:24 PM
WOW these are Beautiful!! So calm, serene paintings, relaxing to the eyes.
Love the folage, great colors and details.
Excellent artwork.

Soul Expressions
05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the feedback and hello to you Rich, I hope you are all doing better. I hope this causes you to draw closer to each other and your faith. God can pull good out of a terrible situation and bring strength and comfort and peace to those hurting. I have experienced it personally myself. In prayer, Lucy