PDA

View Full Version : Old Sawmill

arl
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM
This painting is on 8 by 10 inch canvas. It is based on an image in the RIL; thanks to the contributor. I was concerned about leaving viewers in the depth of the linear perspective. Although the end of the building is cooler, I left it dark. There is contrast at the end and 2 pillars in the front. I hope you were able to move around the painting. I feel as if there is something missing. I lightened the plant in the left foreground with snow because it didnít integrate with the work. All comments and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2009/114108-old_sawmill0001.jpg

PainterDeb
05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I really like the color of the building, especially the left side with the sunshine on it. Is the light coming from the right? I might hint at shadows to the left of the poles, and also the stumps.

I wouldn't have the plants in the distance brighter than the plants in the forground. You could have them pretty well covered in snow if you wanted (the front plants) but maybe have some brighter green leaves peeking from the snow.

I like the texture in the painting also.

Sharrm
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I feel as if there is something missing. I lightened the plant in the left foreground with snow because it didnít integrate with the work. All comments and advice would be appreciated.

Hi Arl, I agree with what Deb has said for improvement on this painting. I like your palette, but feel you need more contrasts, and depth, as right now it's looking flat, your values need some tweaking. You need shadows to ground the building and plants..... I think that's what is bothering you. If you do a grey scale of your painting, I think you will see what needs to be done. Give me a PM if I can help.. :)

OkeeKat
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Arlene!!
Love the side of the building but the underneath purplish shadows are kinda distracting... it almost looks like a storm coming in the distance over the seas and this is right at the end of the beach. not sure if thats your intention. could you post your reference?
I think some dark browns under the building to show the floor of the building would work better.
the view appears to be looking up at it and we dont see the bottom, the braces for the floor go up behind the wall and look a little off.
Not sure if this makes sense.

arl
05-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your advice and help. This is the photo it was based on.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2009/114108-20059sawmill1_by_DavidBR.jpg